Forums > Social Chat > Ruminations on a cup of tea

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I made a new year's resolution to drink more tea and tonight I am making good on my promise. I am drinking a large mug of herbal tea.

What I love about tea is the civility of the occasion. Yes, tea is an occasion. Whether it has caffeine or not, the act of preparing a cup of tea, boiling the water, finding the teabag, and waiting for it to brew are a ritual in patience. It's a simple procedure that allows me to meditate on a subject when I want to, or clear my thoughts and just watch the water boil.

The Japanese (and the English) have developed elaborate ceremonies aroudn this wonderful beverage. Tea is a break in the day to both cultures. It is a time to stop, sit back, savor life, reflect on the day, and then proceed, calmed and refreshed.

Drinking tea is another exercise in patience and calm. The tea comes boiling hot, and the wait for it to cool invites other activities, like reading, thinking, studying, listening to music, or...posting on HOP. Rather than gulping it down in the same way that I tend to rush through the rest of my life, the heat of a cup of tea acts as a governor. I can drink no more quickly than I tolerate the heat.

And so I sit.

And sip.

And savor.

My cup of hot tea.

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I remember how much of a big deal it was to my Grandmother's

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
tea rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

i have at least two cups fo it before i go to bed at night it just makes you feel so lovely and warm

i love vanilla tea it taste as good as it smells and it helps you sleep

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
What is it with the brits and thier tea? Why not coffee? In my family, we are all java junkies. My dad and I regularly stop for coffee breaks throughout the day, and it is an nightly ritual to put on a pot of coffee at around seven, and when it's ready we'll do something together like watch a movie or play cards, or something; all of us sitting there, warming our hands on our mugs... ubblove

198 posts

Posted:
im not british im australian you twit

i love coffe as much as the next person that and a smoke is what i have for breakfast everyday

its just tea is a beautiful thing to have when you want to be calm and centered

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
Hey now, lets not resort to name calling, shall we? biggrin

I enjoy a nice cup of tea as well, but I just don't understand why tea?? Coffee is just as relaxing! maybe it's because it wasn't discovered until much later in history, whereas tea has been around for thousands of years...

198 posts

Posted:
coffee? relaxing?
i was going to apoligise for the name calling but i think that it suits nicely here

i dont know about you but coffee gives me a buzz like a.....i wont say it but it gives me one hella buzz maybe i have mine stronger then you

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
nahh... I love strong coffee... and of course it gives me a buzz, but not for a bit, and it's so nice to just sit and chill for a little bit and enjoy a nice cup of coffee, before needing the buzz to complete whetever it is you're working on.

So there. tongue

198 posts

Posted:
hush grasshopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats what i say to my boy when he doesnt know what hes on about

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

(that's as close as I could get to pouting)

I do so know what i'm rambling on about! See, tea is great for it's time and place, but coffee can be enjoyed for a double benefit. You get the break, and a buzz! what more could you ask for? wink

198 posts

Posted:
CUDDLES AND HUGGLES AND KISSES AND MWAHS AND....ill shut up now

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Coffee is very nice, and is very good at keeping you going when you should be falling over.

But it is not soothing or calming in general.

Tea is.

That is why tea is very important

(a weasel told me that, so it must be true)

Tea is also the automatic reaction to adversity or disaster in our society.

it is the perfect rumination accessory

excepting grass obviously, but we don't have enough stomachs for that...

Coffee = ubbloco

Tea = smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
tea is one of those funny things. most cultuers have tea of some desription and it goes anything from 'eh up me duck fancy a brew' to places like the the sahara where everything stops for tea. the water for the tea is seprate and of a difefrent(better) source than the general drinking water and comes from about 50 further away.
and the tea is never hurried, it takes preferance over everthing.
im sure you could learn a lot about civilisation by studying the tea drinking habits of different nations.
nips off to get a cuppa

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
lately i have taken to making my own tea. slices of lemon/orange/apple/cinnamon sticks/honey/whatever in a coffee plunger, add water and, well, i'm sure you know how to use a coffee plunger!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I love tea.

I have a few dozen varieties around the house, many of them loose teas that I brew in those open recyclable tea bags.

I have a boiling water tap, but I don't like to use it. I like to actually boil the water in the kettle, because it gives me time to adjust to the thought of having tea.

When I was in college, we had a blackout. We jury-rigged a set-up where we boiled water over tea-lights to make our tea, then curled up and sipped tea in the dark. It was a mix of resourceful geekery and then the peace that only tea can bring. A treasured memory.

I love tea houses, too. I get most of my studying done in them. In NY, there's TeaNY, which has scones with real clotted cream and vegan tea sandwiches and a yummy tea called Earl Grey Creme that I've never seen anywhere else. There are a slew of Chinatown tea houses, with low tables and red bean buns, the perfect places to play go. And there's the Tea Lounge, which for $2.50 gives you an individual pot of tea on a wooden slab mini-table thing you carry to your table, with a tiny beaker of milk and a tiny bowl of honey. It has comfortable couches and a big wooden chessboard and strange mechanical leaves that sway on the walls. I love it there. I love the culture that surrounds tea.

I love Earl Grey. I grew up watching ST:tng, and of course I had to have my "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." just like Captain Picard when I was a kid. It makes me think of evenings geeking out with my father.

I love green teas. They are 4 am and long introspective moments for me, sitting at the kitchen table with my friend Joe.

I love jasmine tea. I buy it in little brown paper bags in Chinatown, and it calms me like nothing else.

I love the little plastic baggies of herbal teas that I can find at herb shops, black currant and cinnamon rose and apricot brandy teas.

And so many more... I like having them all, and having precisely the tea I want for every possible mood.

Coffee tastes good, and I like it. But coffee only soothes my taste buds. Tea soothes my mind.

E pluribus unum, baby.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I can honestly say I no idea what a Coffee Plunger is!! confused Am I missing out on something?

I must say that I find coffee the most disgusting, abominable, awful, detestable, distasteful, foul, frightful, ghastly, gross, hateful, horrid, icky, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, offensive, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, rotten, scandalous, vile, vulgar & yucky thing on this planet!! (thanks dictionery.com!)

Even the smell makes my guts wretch! I walked into our reception a few weeks ago and they had a new perculator (is that like a plunger?) on the go. The stench hit me and I nearly vomited on the floor right then.
Non-Https Image Link
It is, IMHO, the slew that slowly creeps from Satans rectum.
Non-Https Image Link

Where as Tea is beautiful. Maybe it's cuz I'm British, hmmm...maybe....probably not, but I was introduced to both by my parents at a young age. Coffee I instinctively rejected yet tea became one of my best friends. Always available to make me feel nice and warm and cosy and cool and happy and etc etc etc.
Non-Https Image Link

And it's dead good for you too. It's only a shame most herbal teas don't taste quite as nice as they smell!! And I do confess to distroying it with far too much milk but I do have it black occaisionally.

Long live the tea...down with coffee!! spank

Let's relight this forum ubblove

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
coffe plunger bug...
its the pressy-downy-sievey-plungery-bit on a cafetiere that filters out the grains from real coffee when you make it. not that you ever have(by the sounds of it)
yeah... thats what it is

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

Was it 28 steps to making the perfect cup of tea?

I don't really drink hot drinks, but occasionally drink tea because it is a lovely ritual and is good for you. There's about a dozen organic and herbal varities in our house.

Coffee contains a lot of caffine. Caffine is a drug - it has big warning labels on it in labs. Give up coffee for a month and I promise you'll see it differently.

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Tea is also caffeinated, Dom.

In some brands of tea the "parts per million" caffeine volume is actually higher.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
With or without milk?

After travelling in Italy for a while I now find milk in tea to be completely cloying and nauseating. Lemon, please.

Twining's lemon and ginger is number one right now. Have tried linden tea for insomnia but it tastes like fermented grass. Ick.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

What is it with the brits and thier tea? Why not coffee? In my family, we are all java junkies. My dad and I regularly stop for coffee breaks throughout the day, and it is an nightly ritual to put on a pot of coffee at around seven, and when it's ready we'll do something together like watch a movie or play cards, or something; all of us sitting there, warming our hands on our mugs... ubblove

Tea and coffee are very different. They both have caffeine, but coffee is cooler, inviting a faster drink. Furthermore, coffee has twice the caffeine as tea. While tea invites relaxation, coffee is a start to a day, a pick-up, a drug.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Hey now, lets not resort to name calling, shall we?

I think she was trying to prove she was British. wink tongue biggrin ubblol

Peaches, you're only 15. Please stop smoking now before it's too late. I've seen patients as young as 35 suffer from the long-term consequences of smoking. Please ask your doctor to help you stop smoking.

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

coffee has twice the caffeine as tea. While tea invites relaxation, coffee is a start to a day, a pick-up, a drug.

Erm not really correct Lightning, the more you brew tea the more caffeine is present in the drink, the less you brew the less caffeine. Same for strong/weak coffee I guess. Infact a stongly brewed cup-o-tea has more caffeiene but obviously is subject to variant of tea compared to variant of coffee etc. It's not really "more or less" it's how it's taken. Like Q. which is heavier; iron or a feather? A. Neither.

And I've just looked up what a cafetiere is and now I know what you mean. Rouge your idea is great, I might now invest in one of those horrid coffee thingamijigs to make luvely cool summer teas! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm just going on what I've learned from the nutritionists I've worked with.

But it is true that the amount of caffeine in tea depends on how strong you like it. I guess the same is true of coffee.

According to the nutritionists I've spoken with, the amount of caffeine in the average cup of black tea is equal to that of a can of soda.

-Mike

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Tea is a wonderful thing. I've got at least 15 varieties in my apartment. I have a cup of one of them each morning to start off my day. It's a nice relaxing way to gradually wake up and it usually takes me about 30 minutes to drink the extra large mug of it.

I seem to be in the minority though in that I like mine first thing in the morning and not right before I go to bed. I guess that's because I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow anyway so I don't need something to get rid of the stresses of the day with. Tea is nice on cold days though to warm you up.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok i'm gonna pipe in on the hot apple cider smile us non-caffeine drinkers need an outlet too! frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Most of the tea I drink is herbal, which has no caffiene.

I don't know how to make homemade hot cider, and most of the store bought packaged stuff is just too sweet for me.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
the age old milk in first or last debate....

well, just beofore this even starts, here;s the science...

taste wise you put the milk in after, because otherwise the water scaulds it and you get tea that tastes like boiled milk HOWEVER, traditionally in england the milk goes in first. Don't know why, but it's more polite or something.

Also, the water should be boilING not just boilED. this has to do with the brewing process but i can't remember the scientific reason, so if you know then post it!!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
you can buy a spice kit for homemade apple cider. or you can look up recipes. it's actually really easy to make. but i always buy the alpine apple cider...it's never too sweet for me. i love it.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I do love mulled cider, too. I make mine by simmering cider with nutmegs smashed into big chunks, whole cinnamon sticks, and 1/2" chunks of fresh ginger to give it that extra bite. Spicy-sweet. Mmm.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i like hot apple;

apple juice concentrate (nice & gooey!) with boiling water, cinnamon, allspice and slices of ginger. nice on a cold day.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Page: