Forums > Help! > How to make a small fire ball

Login/Join to Participate

Simone1member
2 posts

Posted:
I am trying to make a fire ball effect. I want it to look magical like it is coming out of someones hand. I have been looking at software programs but they are very expensive so I thought about making the real thing. Any information is very grateful. Thank you

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I've sceen actuall fire ball made . It sort of had a design where it looked like a malice type thing with wicking around it. IF i had a picture and knew how to use computer's properlly id show it .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Could just go with a jugglers fireball, that would probably give you the effect you're looking for... Lookie

Why do you need/want this anyways? other than the 'spiffy' factor
EDITED_BY: Lurch (1078205621)

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Simone1member
2 posts

Posted:
My husband is an acting student and he is making a short film as his major project. He wants to use the fire ball fx to eliminate the bad guys in his story smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Do a search on the internet for "Flash paper" or "Flash Cotton". However, like any flamable and slightly explosive substances be really sure you know what you're doing.

Good luck smile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There are flash paper cannons that are small enough to be concealed in your hand. Check out magic stores etc. We used a few in a production of The Hobbit for Gandolf. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Little outdoorsy tip that *might* help probably not though... The fuzz off a cattail plant if its propperly prepare (poofed out into a big ball not compacted) will go up nicely. Easy way to start a fire in the woods and can be lit by just a spark.. Only lasts a second though... Ball the size of a softball will be done and out in just a second or two

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Oh, Lurch just reminded me of something. Coffee creamer powder. If you can figure a way to propell it maybee with CO2 paintball gun, and light it, it will catch and make a fireball. You have to keep it dry though.

Like the cattails, the lint that collects in your dryer goes up quick too. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Yeah lint will do it, cattails work better though IMO wink lint tends to melt as it lights up..

The only problem with the creamer is that it has to be spread out fine enough, and you still have to blow it through a flame, could be kind of hard to rig up to be in someones hand and work right... Finely ground flour does the same thing, which is why you hear about flour mills going *boom* every once in awhile

:edit: Oh yeah, cotton balls and vaseline ubbangel
EDITED_BY: Lurch (1078286988)

i_might_be_wrongmember
19 posts

Posted:
I actually found a site a while back during my uncontrollable pyromania phase....
www.lemaitrefx.com or if that doesn't work for you (didn't for me) try the UK site, www.lemaitreltd.com . look for hand flashers or flash guns in the product section. However they're probably bloody expensive so just find a firebreathing friend to stand nearby instead.

Hello, My name's Tim and I'm a criminal
in the eyes of society I should be in jail,
for the choice of herbs I inhale