Forums > Social Chat > Lucid dreaming and Poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I have read a couple books about dreaming and in both of them they said people who are more creative, are musicians, like fantsy and science fiction, and other creative imaginative things are more prone to have lucid dreams. Lucid dreaming is when you know you are dreaming. This isn't controlling your dreams just knowing you are. I always have lucid dreams and i love the fact that i do. I pretty much just about every night get to watch a extremely interesting and bizzare movie in nmy head. I even keep falling back to sleep if i wake up in the morning and still wanna have the dream i as having. Lucid dreaming pretty much kicks ass.

So i was wondering since almost everyone here is at least semi creative and most are VERY imaginative how many poeple here have lucid dreams occur almost every night. Cause even if you don't think your creative i feel there must be some creativity in you if you want to pursue poi staff and other forms of art that are celebrated on this site.

Oh besides saying whether you lucid dream alot if you have a favorite dream post it if you like Thanks smile

Peace, Love, Circles

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i know i'm dreaming most nights, full control on average once a week, premature awakenings a couple of times a week, reasonably good dream recall. ubbrollsmile

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I've only ever felt I had concious control over the actions in a dream once. I was running around, I think hiding from the cops or someone "out to get me." I ran out of this door into what looked like an uptown condo complex, stood up and realized I was dreaming. I began to make decisions on where to go and what to do with my gun (I'm not really a gangsta, I just dreamt about it, lol). It was pretty cool.

I become aware that I am dreaming quite often though. Id say pretty much every night.

Just for posterity, I play 3 musical instruments, sing, and of course I spin fire poi, and am learning staff and clubs.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
once upon a time

these days i have near 0 dream recall

i miss my dreams

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

MarekBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I don't have almost any dream recall, but generally, whenever I wake up and it hasn't been a "black night" which is happening more frequently actually, I have known that I was dreaming, Sometimes I want to continue watching the dream, and get pissed off when it is interrupted, I fight conciousness in order to continue the dream, I want to finish the story. wink

Big fan of sci fi fantasy, poi is a big part of my life as well as dance, and yeah

grrrr
wink

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i've had a number of lucid dreams. and i'm quite a creative person.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
I'm quite creative and I almost never remember my dreams. I have remembered more lately though. For a long time I've thought this meant there was something wrong with me - like I have "issues". Who knows.

My favorite dream Of All Time:

I was the guest star on the Muppet Show. And I did a latin number (dancing - I *love* latin dancing) with those shaggy giants. You know the muppets that actually have people inside? And they twirled me around the stage in my little shiny outfit, passing me from one giant to the next.

ubblove ubblove

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
What A Great Dream Bubb!! ubblove I love the Muppets too.

I have found since I have stopped smoking pot that my dreams have become more clear, as well as everyday life. wink I have strange future dreams where I am in a situation in a dream, then a few days later find myself in the same situation? confused Very strange, but very helpful I have averted some Bad situations through my dreams.

Another Very vivid dream was while I was travling cross country in 1999. I had been driving, by my self for almost 12 hrs, and was somewhere in Illinose i think, when I stopped at a golf corse, and slept under a Vary Large Weeping Willow Tree. In the dream I was walking up a dirt country road. I saw Two Beautiful Goddeses Spinning Very Long Poi near a weeping willow tree atop a hill. eekSo I walked Up the hill to them and started asking about the poi. Now I had really just started a year back and was a bit cocky, I asked If I could show them what I knew. When they handed me the poi I started to knot up the cords, for they where too long and I was hitting myself. The two Goddeses where appaled, and took them back. But they did Teach me the Hand Wrap, and to never knot up the cords of the poi. rolleyes
Very strange dream!! I had never thought of the hand wrap till then, and the fact that I learned it in a dream was a bit strange.
I woke up at dawn with the long flowing fingers of the wepping willow dangling in my face, got in my truck and drove to Montana.
I have the most vivid dreams when travling!! ubbtickled
wave

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
i feel like im exposing myself but ill say it anyways

ever since my pop died 4 years ago i dont dream well i do but its more of a night mare and i have it everynight
"i think that down in his casket my pop is getting eaten by maggots and then i turn around and i se my pop walking towards me arms out stretched as if he wants to hug me
i badly want to hug him but i dont want the maggots to eat me aswell"
towards the end of the dream i usually wake up really frightened and breathing fast i wake up lee aswell when i do this
hes really good about it
it just cuddle me when it happens
i feel safe in his arms

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
when i go to bed at night i curl up under the duvet in happy anticipation of that nights dreaming..........i love dreaming,some dreams are so off the planet i can't even bring them into this reality to describe them..others are slightly predictive,like images that then occur the next day....some are downright scary,mostly about huge spiders that i find myself sitting bolt upright in bed looking for the spider amongst the sheets eek

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
well, thanks to flid i have started having lucid dreams again in the last few months and have been having much fun with them! biggrin i can still only fly about as high as a house though, still playing around with that one...
since i've been travelling i've only had 2 that i've remembered clearly mind you, as i often have to set an alarm and get up quickly and do stuff, and then i don't recall them as well.
one of my all time fave dreams was when i was on Top Of The Pops, playing drums for Rancid alongside my Mum! (we had a kit each!) It was such a great feeling, think deep down i've always wanted to be a drummer?!
dreams are great ubblove (most of the time)

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i often have lucid dreams. according to science you can control lucid dreams, however not all people can. i can't think of any specific ones i have but lately they have started to decrease as i sleep more deeply and am more dead to it when i am woken up. i think they are so cool!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Richard Feynman -

(who was a scientist, writer, artist, musician, all-round dude, worked on the Manhattan project eek and was the one who found out what had gone wrong on the Challenger Shuttle ubbcrying. Everyone should read his books...)

- found quite by accident that he could induce lucid dreams simply by sleeping with the back of his head (where the skull meets the neck) resting against a brass bedknob on his headboard.

Not recommended. The back of your head feels all soft and wierd afterward, and it might be very not good for you. It does work though smile Not much actual data i'm aware of.

At your own risk basically

i don't think you are ever actually in control of 'lucid dreams'. You just fool yourself into thinking you are. Still, some neuroscientists and philosophers of mind say the same about real life. That your consciousness is rationalizing your actions, not controlling them. Like when you convince yourself you're playing the "attract sequence" of an arcade game with no coins in it.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I used to have lucid dreams as a child. Every night guaranteed. Has anybody ever watched the Willo the Wisp? It was a kids animation voiced by Kenneth Williams in the 80's.
Well basically the Willo would come to my bedroom window and I could fly around when I was holding his (HER??) hand. I chose where to go; left, right, up, down, etc etc etc and when I wanted to go home back to bed away we went.

This is Willo the Wisp

Non-Https Image Link

The dreams stopped when I moved house aged nearly 8. I had the dreams everynight prior for about 4-5 years. I soooo miss my dreams, I rarely remember any dreams these days, and when I do I look back and see how absurd they are and notice that while I was in them I never realised at all! Like walking through a door into an empty field etc etc seems normal in a dream but not when I remember!

I wish my dreams would come back ubbcrying

I'm quite creative too, I like to write my own music, paint, doodle lots and lots, make nice patterns with things like sand or dirt, But I don't keep any of them tho, I have very little attachment to anything I create except one doodle I kept in my wallet for 5 years until last Saturday when I lost it ubbcrying I spin poi, think of lots of inventions (especially as I fall to sleep) and also create theories and equations to explain things but I rarely remember them for more than a day or so.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've had lucid dreams, but the simple tricks that they teach you for lucid dreaming don't work for me. See, I can read quite well in my dreams.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i get dreams like that all the time. sometimes i can control what im doing and others are just like me watching a video of something. last night i has one were i was rubbing my eyes, and they popped up into the space between my eyebrow and eyelid, it really hurt! i wince when i think about it! so i had to figure out a way to pop them back down again, funny thing was i could see still lol. so i got a pen, stuck it in the cavity and popped them back down again....eurgh. or if im having a dream that i don't want to be in anymore then i blink really fast (don't ask me how i do that in my sleep) and i wake up.

Sp!nna of the Burymember
39 posts

Posted:
I learnt to lucid dream and you can practice poi while you dream and sometimes make up new moves, tis wicked, though i dream less lucidly when i don't keep a recall diary of my dreams so if im being lazy and stoned it just doesn't work!

weavesmiley

Any sightings of Moo the Cow should be urgently repoted to mooline direct on 0800 008 808. He is on the loose in the HOP pages with bodger's mash potato and may be a direct threat to jugglers! Thanks.
Neighbour-shed Watch

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I have found since I have stopped smoking pot that my dreams have become more clear, as well as everyday life. wink

I have strange future dreams where I am in a situation in a dream, then a few days later find myself in the same situation? confused Very strange, but very helpful I have averted some Bad situations through my dreams.

...The two Goddeses where appaled, and took them back. But they did Teach me the Hand Wrap, and to never knot up the cords of the poi. rolleyes

Very strange dream!! I had never thought of the hand wrap till then, and the fact that I learned it in a dream was a bit strange.

wave

I have Poi Dreams too biggrin And a Dream Direry is Key!! You can learn alot from your dreams, For instance My Future Dreams...

Does anyone elts have these Looking forward/ Future Dreams? I find myself having them more and more. And recognizing Poeple I have never met but in my dreams.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i'm an incredibly vivd dreamer and always have been, i pretty much always remember my dreams and they are amaing! Going to be and dreaming is something ilook foreward to every night, maybe that's why i sleep so much, it;s like a holiday for the soul!

Quote:

Lucid dreaming is when you know you are dreaming. This isn't controlling your dreams just knowing you are.

this isn't stictly true - although lucid dreaming involves knowing you are dreaming, it can also involve control, it just doesn't have to. Lucid dreaming can be an incredibly spiritual experience and can be taken to amazing levels almost without limit.

i don't claim to be any kind of expert on the practice, but i have had a lot of personal experiences which are quite unbelievable (i mean literally, you wouldn't believe me!!!) I have met a person who i had never heard of and then met him in real life. There isn't time for me to go in to it all here, but if you have the ability to control your dreams (which is much harder than it sounds) then i would encourage you to practice as much as you possibly can - it's a hugely rewarding exercise.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
I have pretty good dream recall- although not normaly when i wake up. At some point during the day i'll suddenly remember what i was dreaming about. During the dreams i remember, i don't necessarily realize i'm dreaming, but i'm aware and directing the dream, i just think i'm awake.
The times i realize i'm dreaming, it comes after specific triggers, one is talking to someone in a dream about Carlos Castenada, another is dying, oddly enough... I'll be in a situation where I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that i'm about to die, resign myself to it, realize it's a dream and then not die. or if i don't realize in time, i'll wake up, roll over, fall asleep right back into the same dream, and then i realize, because i remember waking up. Another is reading a book, looking away, and when I look back it's a different book. This used to happen over and over and i'd get really frustrated, and wake up, but once on acid i got the same thing, and realized i'd dreamed it before, and then got one of the strangest trips i've ever had- like living a whole other life, which i don't recall very well anymore, just fleeting bits and the terrible feeling of loss when it all faded and real life came back. but ever since then the book thing tells me i'm dreaming. Once i know i'm dreaming, i tend to just go with it, and laugh at all the odd things that happen, and all the stuff i can do. i learnt the buzzsaw weave in a dream, well i learnt this weird hand movement, and when i woke up and did it i realized i could do it holding poi.

and yeah, quitting smoking weed makes your dream recall better, as does drinking kava-kava. although kava dreams can be quite disurbing...

--ben

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i have prediction dreams. i'm a very vivid dreamer, and i usually can remember my dreams. i have all sorts of dreams....lucid dreams, recurring dreams, recurring objects in my dreams (there's a house that continues to pop up in my dreams), future/prediction dreams. ironically, i had this really bizarre dream last night that had a person in it from my past. i called my best friend and said "you're never gonna guess who i dreamt about last night." and she guessed perfectly. it was bizarre. there's no way she should have known who i dreamt about. ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Your silly pounce tongue I Can't believe she guessed who it was in your dream?

No I have had these strange dreams with people I have never met before, But I remember them when I do met them in the waking hrs. I have also had dreams about getting myself into trouble, but when I find myself in the same situation later, while Im awake, I try to stear clear of the mistake I made in my dream. I have Learned to do this through making those mistakes after dreams before! It sucked ubblol
Learn from your Mistakes! wink Weather they are in dreams, or in Waking hrs.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
the other interesting part was she was in my dream too, so i wonder if she had the same dream but didn't remember it, and it was just her subconcious telling her who was in the dream

**giggles**

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
There are Infineite Possibilities, But Nothing is for Sure...

Keep dreamming ubbrollsmile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
true!

the guy who i dreamt about but didn't know, well i met him at a festival some time after and he had the same dream!! He even remembered the conversation we had, and we recognised eachother straight away. It was spooky.

i like lucid dreaming as a way to meet guides for life as well, it could be anyone, real or ficticious, but i go to this city, it's like a sun place - hard to describe, and i meet people and ask them questions. Sometimes i know it;s really just me answering, cos they say exactly what i would, but sometimes the answers surprise me. It's like meditation but more trippy!

Interesting thought. In lucid dreaming you can do whatever you want, you cna walk through walls, or go anywhere, do anything, but it;s REALLY hard. Trying to make yurself walk through a wall is as hard as it would be in real life because you;re concious of what's going on. There are lots of techniques to help, like if you want to change where you are it sometimes helps to spins and spin until everything's blurry and then slow down until you're in the place you want to be. Anyway, the weird thought is that if you con do whatever you want in a dream once you know it's possible, maybe all it would take for us to fly in real life would be to truly, honestly believe we could do it.

i believe i could walk through a wall if only i believed enough that i could.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I have Lucid Skiing Dreams sometimes, I can do anything in the halfpipe, or just free riding off jumps or Cliffs! Big ol Backflips, 360 grabs, anything in the air. I am Never afraid to do anything while dreamming, I fly like an Eagle and land on a cousion of light powder. Never getting hurt, or even thinking about it.

I Love Skiing Dreams! wink ubblove

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
well this thread answered my little question about poi and dreaming so far. It does seem creative people have more lucid dreams. I still have never controlled my dreams other then watching my unconcious decisions and a couple times in a lucid dream there will be a choice and it will follow the path i choose in my head but most of the time i just need some popcorn and watch the show

Peace, Love, Circles

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I have found since I have stopped smoking pot that my dreams have become more clear, as well as everyday life. wink

sooo osooosoosooo true! my main reason for quitting!

although i have trouble remebering what i did this morning, so i can't honestly say that i can remember my night's dreaming any clearer than i do my day.

scary tho!

you can dig up some real gem dreams if you search for the many astral/lucid threads that have 'projected' onto HoP :sniggers at self:

and keep in mind that lessons are lost if you don't remember what you did! raunchy dreams are funny. spank

*** EDIT

flying be good, but...

hey can anyone switch lights on or off, or turn the sky from day to night (or vice versa)? I'd be very interested to find out!
EDITED_BY: benderâ„¢ (1078289280)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I have found since I have stopped smoking pot that my dreams have become more clear, as well as everyday life.

Since i only smoke once and a great while I usually always dream but whenever i do smoke i don't have any dreams that i can remember at all for a couple days after.

Peace, Love, Circles

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I have never tried switching lights on or off in my dreams... I had a controllable one the other day but i really didn't realise I was controlling it till after a while. It was a fun dream in a lovely yellow and green pub... yup yup

I usually remember my dreams as soon as i wake up and then forget until something reminds me of them during the day... which happens pretty often.

I tend to have had more nightmares than nice dreams recently... or just dreams that make me rethink myself and my actions but then I get over it and move on.... monkeys mehr...

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Quote:

hey can anyone switch lights on or off, or turn the sky from day to night (or vice versa)? I'd be very interested to find out!

switch lights yes, although light switches not working is generally a reality test. If you do it enough thou it will work. The main reality test that I use is looking at text, looking away and then rereading, but i only used to have to look back once, now i have to do it several times because my brain has learn't to circumvent it better. These days I really have to know that I am dreaming and have a really good sense that I am, and just use reality tests for confirmation. I had a very surreal experience a while ago where I knew I was dreaming, but all my reality tests said I was awake, so I just had to go along with it. I was like 'errrr.....okay......this doesn't seem right......but.......'

changing sky colour no. I could do it by entering a building in day, go out through another door and it being night. I've been doing lots of experiments with this sort of stuff over the past few years, and I'm still learning things about it and the way my mind works in dreams all the time. My lucid dreams tend to take on the form of the first minute doing tests/experiments which I've planned whilst awake for next time I'm lucid. After that I go have fun biggrin

As for spinning, i tend not to bother with poi in lucid dreams, I prefer to do things I can't in real life. I have spun in dreams before now and I remember doing it. A few days ago I drempt i was back at boarding school again. 'F* why am I back here again? I don't want to be a school kid again!!!'. Then i went into the cooridor outside my room and found it had a really high ceiling and was great for spinnign the poi i happened to have in my hands smile

I don't really keep a dream journal anymore, but I have in the past, and it has made my dream recall much much better. As a result of LD research I've had all sorts of crazy dreams related to the subject, countless premature awakenings, 2 sleep paralysis (scary as hell, even if you know what it is when it happens) and LDs which some hippies call astral projection smile
EDITED_BY: flid (1078403237)

Page: