Forums > Social Chat > Careful all those in snowy England!

Login/Join to Participate

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
It snowed rather heavily for an hour here in Guildford last night, and the roads have not yet been salted.
All was sparkly an' white an' pretty ubblove

Word of warning; we all know to be careful of slipping, and to take extra care crossing the roads in snowy conditions, but keep an eye out when walking on the pavement too.

I was walking with a friend on the fresh new snow, and we decided to be childish, and each hop on one foot (opposites) to make it look as if a person with odd shoes (one trainer, one high heel!) had walked alone the path. Little things please little minds... rolleyes We stopped to link arms for balance. A car skidded out of control on the road, skidded diagonally across the pavement in front of us and hit a fence, knocking it down. The car screeched off again before we'd had time to react.

Once it was gone, we looked at the tyre tracks. Starting one metre from our feet, diagonally across the pavement for 3 metres along it. If we had not stopped seconds earlier we would have been somewhere in that 3 metres, and the car would have hit us. We'd had no time to react at all.

Morals of the story:
1) Be careful in bad weather conditions even on the pavement
2) Always take time to be childish and play in the snow biggrin

Stay safe guys! hug

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nice post poly ubbrollsmile:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
They didn't grit my side roads at all so I had to drive on ice until I hit the A322 this morning. That sucked.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
for once i actually wanted snow.....only because there was a blizzard warning in the county just north of denver, and if it had come a little further south, i wouldn't have had to go to work today biggrin

i had to drive down from the foothills on saturday in heavy snow. my car skidded a few times, thankfully not hitting anything. but i did do a near 360 on one of the occasions. not fun.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
there are times when I am thankful I live so far south, and the lack of icey roads is one of them. We do get those conditions on occasion, and you want to be WELL away from the roads when we have ice or snow since people have NO CLUE how to drive, but I hate icey roads.

I had to drive over a mountain pass with my dad to get him to the airport. We were one of the last cars through. Fortunately, I've got a wicked little Subaru outback sport that handles like a dream, but the roads were Nasty. My knuckles were as white as the snow by the time I got into Seattle.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
eek scary polythene! someone was lookin out for you!

hey stop moaning! driving in ice is fun we just giggle and laugh as long ads you take your time and take a friend in the car for support you can have the best fun!
handbrakes turns round corners hehehe

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Where i live they dont grit or salt the pavement. So all us pedestrians are slipping and sliding around whilst the cars and driving past laughing at us frown

ubbangel Thank you Polythene for your warning, glad you are safe.

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There's something about slightly slick pavements that brings out the micro-brained testosterone-pumping 17 year old morons who are keen to show their driving "skills" on public roads at the same time that there are likely to be children out playing in the snow. With any luck they bash into a curve and burst their tyres while a group of girls look on and laugh at them.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys hug
I was pretty pleased it missed me too! biggrin

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
clearly you haven't driven on ice too long or ever got into an accident because of it. there's nothing fun about having no control over where your car goes and worrying that you're going to crash into something, or even worse, someONE.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure how many people outside of canada know this, but here in halifax we recently had the most recorded snowfall for one day EVER. We had about a meter of snow in one day, so you can imagine how high the snow banks were after the plows were through.
It's been really tricky lately, the snow banks are really high so you can't see cars and they can't see you, plus it's been getting warmer so the snow's melting and then freezing again, very icy. In fact, a girl at my school was hit by a car yesterday. I'm not sure how's she's doing, it was kind of hush hush for some reason.
I'm going for my driver's test soon and I'm deffinately not looking forward to driving around here!

P*L*U*R

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
oh, and here it;s the responsability of the homeowners to shovel and salt the sidewalks, which has been thoroughly neglected.

P*L*U*R