Forums > Technical Discussion > Electro Sock Diffusion Poi update.

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Firstly, I'll be posting this on more than one thread and last time I did this one person got a bit annoyed.

However, it's a free resource page which will benefit many, and, to just post it in one place will limit the numbers who will get the chance to see it.

eg 'social discussion' has a lot of hits but very quick turnover, whereas 'technical discussion' is not so well frequented. Also, there are already existing threads with references to Hammerheads to which this is relevant.

To anyone who finds a repeated post annoying I'll say that the posts will have the title 'Electro-sock diffusion poi update', so you can easily avoid the stress of a wasted click by ignoring threads with that title.

==========================

The electric glowing poi previously known as 'Hammerheads' have had their design modified.

In line with my original self imposed brief of simplicity, ease of building, cheapness and accessibility these are another step forwards, requiring no soldering, tools or any electrical skills; and they can be made for under £5 a pair.

Here's the page showing how to make them: -

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/electrosock/electrosock.html

As always, feedback is welcome.

I think they're now reached the limits of simplicity and am now experimenting with easy ways to alter their appearance eg by extending the diffusion to give more of a 'fire rope' appearance.

One way to do this is to get a couple of sheets of acetate ie the A4 size plasticy transparent sheets that are used in overhead projectors.

With the sheet in 'landscape' position, roll it into a cyclinder from top to bottom, then put it into the open end of the sock and push it down to the LEDs.

When you release it it springs open, filling out the sock.

This extends the light diffusion considerably, because, especially when the poi have been well used and stretched out, the upper end of the sock tends to gather and block the light. The acetate tube holds it open letting the light fill the whole length of the sock.

I love the simplicity and versatility of these things smile

The downside of acatate is that it makes wraps impractical, but it's no problem as it's so easy to pull it out and go back into 'normal' mode.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Hi Dave.

Are you running these LEDs without series resistors? How long do they last before conking out?

J

Posh ravers wear ties.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
yes, there's no resistors, to simplify construction.

I've not had one conk out yet (apart from some experiments with 9 volt batteries).

Maybe it's cos I use dirt cheap 'AA' batteries; it has been suggested that using rechargeable 'AA' s could be problematic as they give out a larger current.

The only LEDs I've lost have been a couple where one of their legs came off due to excess bending after putting them in several different cases.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
nice intructions.
particularly the maplin product numbers. i also notice that you have a little request for 'One thing in particular for those of you with good electrical skills would be to devise a way of making them strobe, ideally without the need for complicated components or soldering. '
while in the huuuggee maplin supestore just down the road i saw little beginners electronics style pcbs one of which was a simple oscillator cuircut with an adjustable resistor to alter the timings .only £2.
have not checked out the values but im sure if you simply wire the batteries to one end and the leds on the other you will have a dead simple strobe circut.
depends if the resistor goes low enough to allow the flash to be fast enough to create the strobe effect.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

while in the huuuggee maplin supestore just down the road i saw little beginners electronics style pcbs one of which was a simple oscillator cuircut with an adjustable resistor to alter the timings .only £2.
have not checked out the values but im sure if you simply wire the batteries to one end and the leds on the other you will have a dead simple strobe circut.

Cheers, I'll check them out.

Do you have product codes or a more detailed description? I had a look on the Maplin website but couldn't track them down.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
not right now.
ive got a lot of work in and wont be able to sqeeze a visit in for a while.
but ill try and get some numbers, i was only in there for a lightning visit and didnt think ill keep you posted.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter