MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
All these clubs and I still dont quite feel I have a place. Sure, Im average height and could join those folk... But that would be too average for me. I think I would better fit in the skinny person club (theres plenty of room for all of us!).

5'8 and ~110lb depending on how much I ate that day or if Im a tad wet. (Yes, I deserve to be the leader of this club smile )

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
ohh.ohh.ohh...I fit in perfectly here.

When people first look at me, they think I am unhealthily skinny. I assure them it's not due to a lack of eating, but they just don't believe me.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
what would happen if you ate 15 donuts (or equivalent) every day for 6 months?

Sp!nna of the Burymember
39 posts

Posted:
Personally, and this is nothing against you guys Im sure you're lovely, but I think having a club where everyone compares weight and height is pretty much the same thing as the pro-anorexia online forums. It's really unhealthy making comparisons like that and they have absolutely nothing to do with spinning. Isn't all this "fitting in" to a club business a little silly? Why not be an individual? Clubs are a little like putting a fence around a certain breed of sheep.

Sorry to be all heavey, i don't mean to at all, it's just i know how much things like this can effect people.

Love Peas & Moo
Sp!nna
xxx

Any sightings of Moo the Cow should be urgently repoted to mooline direct on 0800 008 808. He is on the loose in the HOP pages with bodger's mash potato and may be a direct threat to jugglers! Thanks.
Neighbour-shed Watch

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Probably nothing...I've been the same weight for 15 years, and I had a kid somewhere in there.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
ok i have a small question here...why is it if you are real skinny people feel its there place to tell you to eat ..but if your obese most people wont actually 'say' anything?

i was unhealthly thin at one point and thats all i got from people ... even people i didnt know..which i found quite rude since there was aproblem behind it.

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i dont see how you can get the impression that these threads are like the pro anorexia forums.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I have no idea, but I do agree that it is extremely annoying. I eat a lot...ask any of my friends. The first time most guys see me eat, they are amazed. I've only really seen one guy who can eat more than me on a regular basis.

When strangers tell me I need to eat more, I find it very annoying. They don't know me, why are they trying to give me advice? I do eat a lot already. I think they are just jealous that someone can be skinny and still eat what they want.

2,568 posts

Posted:
i mean i was on meds that made me loose so much weight very quickly i got to below 7st which was scary but i like you ate like a horse i could put away more than my dad and my sisters b/f combined .. i was a bottomless pit..and to some extent still am

Sp!nna of the Burymember
39 posts

Posted:
Im skinny and i eat lots, and it is annoying when people tell you to eat more, but i don't think i will be joining the 'Skin & bones' club, because i don't feel the need to be catagorized because of my size or shape.

I've been very closely involved with people with eating disorders who spend hours on forums that promote them and encourage people to compare weight, all this does is provide competition and makes their problems even worse. I am in NO way suggesting that that's what is going on here, i just don't want to see lovely happy fluffy spinny people become depressed and unhappy because they're not skinny enough!

Weight issues are all a bunch of BOLLOX!! Just be happy with who you are and worry about more important things in life......like spinning!! weavesmiley

Rant over! peace

Keep sm!ling peeps!
Sp!n
x biggrin

Any sightings of Moo the Cow should be urgently repoted to mooline direct on 0800 008 808. He is on the loose in the HOP pages with bodger's mash potato and may be a direct threat to jugglers! Thanks.
Neighbour-shed Watch

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
Quote:

lovely happy fluffy spinny people

me:-
lovely - yes
happy - um, depends. sometimes.
fluffly - no
spinny - yes
2 and a half out of 4 aint bad
biggrin

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm with spinna on this one. we have no idea who on this forum is dealing with what personal battles. there might be someone struggling with anorexia and seeing this thread might put them back into the mindset of "i'm not as skinny as those people so i need to lose more weight." short vs. tall isn't a big deal. but weight issues dominate so much of our society that comparing each other and trying to "fit into a category" isn't healthy.

along the lines of people saying things when you're skinny that you need to eat but not saying things to the obese people......you are sadly mistaken. obese people, or even slightly overweight people constantly get berated on their weight, that they should stop eating, that they need to diet, that they're ugly, that they're gross.....you get the picture. i have so many clients who are incredibly down on themselves because of the comments they constantly get about their weight. no offense, but i think they suffer way more than the people who are skinny and are told to eat. they also routinely get discriminated against. and that generally doesn't happen for skinny people.

i'm not overweight. i fluctuate from time to time, but i've never really been overweight. and yet i still have gotten the comments of "you should watch what you eat" or "you know, you should really work-out." i think my favorite was "you know, if you do this particular exercise, it does a great job on your glutes." such a subtle way to say i think your ass is big. rolleyes

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
people who say things like that should be told where to go in the rudest terms you can think of. biggrin
i'd suggest a comment but it'd only get censored biggrin

2,568 posts

Posted:
i wasnt saying skinny people have a harder time of it at all .. it was just something that i experienced and had pondered over is all. i know that larger people are discriminated against and bullied etc. but i have found that people wont actually say it to their face, more like the shout it across a room, or stare or snigger as they walk past. im not say either one is worse than the other. i guess what im trying to say, and didnt put so well in my last comment , is where do people get off feeling that they can say these things? what the hell do they gain from it?

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i hear what you're saying, but i'd disagree on the point that people aren't as vocal towards obese people. i think they are way more vocal in their opinions and snickers and whatnot towards people who are overweight frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
as someone who has never been overweight (by much, however it was so slight its really not worth it anyway) i dont know larger people feel when it comes to comments, but as someone who is now on the other end of the spectrum, i hate the things people say. yes, i get the "gee you're looking good" however some people really can say some harsh stuff about me *coughshitheadexcough*

now correct me if im wrong, but i think this could be one of those things where prejudices work the other way, however people dont acknowlege that it does. its often said how larger people feel when they are teased, but is it ever said that smaller people can also experience these things? personally i havent noticed that things like that are acknowleged.

just some food for thought

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
certainly there are prejudices that may exist for thin people. but there are things you probably don't even realize overweight people go through. for example, highly obese people often have to pay for a first class seat or two seats on an airplane. just something to think about...

**giggles**

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Quote:

there are things you probably don't even realize overweight people go through

Like barn doors, tunnels, large bags of chips! wink wink

N.B. This is an example of the type of insensitive humour overweight people are subject to. And before anyone jumps all over this, no chips were hurt in this post!

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
I think Patrick needs to go to bed,before he offends any more chips....... wink

On a more serious note,i went thru an extremely skinny phase a couple of years back and i got a lot of comments that just plunged me deeper into depression cos it was out of my control.i didn't know why i was so thin.I think both sides suffer because of insensitive comments,there is no more or less............

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
im permenantly paranoid about my weight. its *&^%$%& terrible!

NO-ONE HERE HAVE THEM! NONONONONO! DONT! THEY ARE TERRIBLE!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah. its nasty. and i wish my ex would shut up about how thin i am. not like he can talk...

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
im pretty thin as well what pisses me off is when random nanas of the street stop me and tell me i should eat more
another things is that it is getting seemingly more popular to give some one crap for being skinny but is considered an unpardonable sin to call some one fat im your average 165 cm size 8 girl my boy loves my body but i hate it bones stick out every where but i except that i am naturally thin and i am pretty sure most skinny people realise that sooner or later

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i have to disagrre that there is stuff wrong with discussing weight on here.

no one'ssaying that it's better to be any particualr weight, we're not making damaging suggestins or encouraging people to go on stupid diets. If someone has a weight problem or something then i think i'm right in saying that one of the causes/symptoms is distorted though petterns, that has nothing to do with people having an innocent discussion but to do with their self image or bullying or any number of reasons.

so to set the record straight;

stopping eating is not good, everyone has a natural build that is jsut them, your true friends will love you and it doesn't matter what you look like, if you think you have a problem like this then tell someone or get help.

i don't think a simple discussion like this will make someone have an eating disorder in the same way that us trying to cure someone over the internet wouldn't work. It's simple not a strong enough factor.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i went to a party last year where weight was repeatedly mentioned. its weird, but im used to it now, but i am often in places where i talk about weight, and often with strangers. so for me discussing weight on here is so normal!
im a lightweight rower, so weight is regularly discussed for me, i tell complete strangers my weight every week!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yay! yay for freedom of speech.

weight is only an issue if you make it one. My x-boyf's mum if a huge enormous african woman and she is one of the most gorgeous people i know. And boy can she dance...!

strong-bad pop up book,

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Dang Tao, you gonna object to all my threads? Or you just do that to everyone? wave

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
No! i was defending the thread 0 i obviously didn't do it very well! ubblol ubblol ubblol

the POInt was supposed to be that talking about weight is ok and completely innocent and it's only when there is a pre-existing condition that there is a problem.

i myself have often had people think i've got a problem and tell me to eat more (i weigh 7stone 2) and i t reall annoys me. Yay for thin, fat, average and everywhere in between people, lets all have a huge big cuddle!!! hug hug

strong-bad pop up book,

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
discussing weight isn't the problem. but this thread was started as a "i'm really skinny and i want all the really skinny people to join me and discuss our weight together." ya, the problem lies in the individual but the cause of the problem isn't so concrete. believe me, i work with clients with eating disorders every year, and i've done a lot of studying in this area. i keep up on current research. and i can tell you, discussions like this is what sustains the culture of eating disorders.

**giggles**

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
sorry. I admit i may have a bit of a problem because i'm thin and people often assume i have some kind of disorder which actually makes me really angry.

maybe i get a bit defensive about it, but i've also helped a friend through anorexia and she came out the other end. Although i'm not an expert, i think what exasorbated the problem was the fact that people wouldn't talk about it. And she didn't even know what her ideal weight should be because talking about being thin was so taboo.

i'm not defending people who think everyone should be really thin, in fact i think this society can be really sick, but i think people need help with their problems and that shouldn't stop people having inoocent discussions - i will fight my right to free speech to the grave.

but still hugs to everyone.... hug i love you all really, even when i get defensive.

strong-bad pop up book,

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i wasn't saying that we shouldn't talk about it. but the original intent of this thread wasn't to be an open discussion on anorexia and bulimia and how bad it is. the original intent was "i'm skinny, who else is skinny and wants to compare our weights against each other and other people?" do you see the difference and why i have a problem with this thread? and i know i'm not alone in it. there are people on this forum who have posted and some who haven't because of the nature of the thread.

i understand what you are saying. but i still feel that the direction of this thread is not a healthy one.

**giggles**