Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Maximus and myself are requesting help and kindness from the HOPers. We are heading to Iran on May 23 for a 5 week trip through Iran and into Iraq. We are filming and interviewing random people re: the war and the earthquake in Bam. I'm sure you guys are also aware of the major tragedy last week of the train explosion near Tehran which killed over 320 and injured 460 people.

We would like to bring poi streamers with us to give away to the kids and teenagers. We know from first-hand info that the Iranian youth absolutely love American and European culture. We are bringing various gifts with us to give away, such as stamps, post cards, dvds, etc. We'd love to take with us your gifts, especially colorful cloth streamer poi, lightweight and easy to pack. We will bring back photographs of our journeys to share with ya'll.

If you are interested, email me. Also, in a few months, we'll be getting a charity tax id # from the feds so you can "write-off" your donations.

If anyone knows any HOPers in Iran, let us know!

PEACE peace

EDITED_BY: Cyber Sprite (1077908951)

The experience of learning is living.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
id be willing to send a small donation ur way, i dont have alot but im willing to share smile

keep us posted!!

passing through, this world still lives.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Cheap option to make streamers is to get the ribbons that mining companies use to mark sites.They come in lots of colours. Use snap lock swivels to attach these the whatever poi you are making. Each streamer will cost way less than a dollar. Maybe approach your local council for streamer donation. Councils often use them for marking down areas. Or appraoch some mining companies. Fishing places have snaplock swivels. Buy bulk to save a bit.

Buy a heap of cheap socks and put small bags of sand in them when you get there even. Or take heaps of tennis balls. That way the present gives thrice. Spin, wear and catch with the one gift.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Maximus Egomember
10 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the quick offers and suggestions, gang! Cyber Sprite and I are very excited about this trip to Iran and Iraq. Our ngo is called Archaeology for Global Awareness. In addition to gifts like streamer poi and, of course $$$ (we are footing the airfare bill ourselves), we could also use donations of region-relevant traveller's supplies, like pocket-sized phrasebooks in Farsi, Arabic, and Kurdish, throwaway cameras, bulletproof vests, scorpion antivenom, etc. Email Cyber Sprite and she'll give you her address.

And, yes, we will be bringing our fire toys. Iran is the home of the pre-Islamic religion Zoroastrianism, still practiced today, which considers fire sacred. At one temple in Yadz there is a fire that has been burning continuously since 470 AD.

While we will be supported by a number of host families, we can still use advice from people who have recently travelled in the region on peaceful missions.

Updates to follow...

Maximus
EDITED_BY: Maximus Ego (1078266583)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Are you planning to bump into the circus2iraq guys at any point?

bit from a discussion board with some details

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the great feedback and support. The Circus in Iraq gig is pretty damn interesting, and I think we need to look into this more. We were not planning to cruise to Baghdad because it is too crazy; our intentions are to hang up north in Kurdistan with the friendlier tribal Kurds. But, we could definitely create a similar educational - skills building workshop for kids on the art of poi. Why not? It would be a fun side-note to our trip which is more about archaeology (damage and destruction) and just finding out about opinions towards the war - one year later. An Iranian friend of ours, Farima, took documentary film footage last year in Kurdistan when the war started. So, I'd like to do a follow up to really know what is going on and what the Iraqis think about the U.S.

EDITED_BY: Cyber Sprite (1078360093)

3,149 posts

Posted:
i'd advise you be very very careful who you talk to about the political situation, and very guarded about your own opinions whatever they may be.

better to be paranoid than to say the wrong thing to the wrong person.

But it sounds like you're going to have a great time smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I side with the monkey.

umm

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the warning! I hope my comment wasn't offensive. Thankfully in the U.S., we have the freedom of speech and expression. But, yah, in other places, people aren't so lucky.

I do know that my friend Farima who has dual citizenship as an American and Iranian has to take back all our video and camera equipment to the U.S. because they will search and screen our stuff. I guess the airport is controlled by the most strict fundamentalist Islamic factions and even wearing a nose ring is asking for trouble! We aren't even supposed to bring "western" things like dvds or music that might "influence" the youth.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

we have the freedom of speech and expression. But, yah, in other places, people aren't so lucky.

Well, i imagine if you tried passing out gay pride leaflets in the average bar in Texas, you'd soon discover how free your speech and expression are wink

Yeah, i'd figure Iran will be very uptight about western cultural stuff, and Iraq should be pretty laid back in that respect. Not that i've been to either, so don't take my word 4 it...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I still side with the monkey.

I can verify that he has been to neither.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Sounds awsome what you are doing.

Just remember they have lots of guns over there...and guns are scary things. So be careful ubbangel

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Maximus Egomember
10 posts

Posted:
Thanks to all who offered help and their good wishes upon us. We leave tomorrow (May 24) for Tehran. We will be in the middle east for five weeks.
www.arch4globalawareness.org
We are bringing our poi.

peace,
Maximus

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Simian's right. Be very careful of what you say and even more careful to whom you say it. Now about the airports... The security there can be total arses, or they can be incredibly nice. In my past experience, they aren't too bad with letting you bring and take stuff. I've taken my CDs and books and whatnot back and forth numerous times with no problem. Security's worse now, but it's still not too bad, but still be cautious. Oh yeah, the air polution in Iran's a lot better now, so enjoy the (relatively) clean air! biggrin(just don't stand near any of the buses). Have tons of fun and make sure you go visit some of the historic sites, 'cause they're incredible! Oh, and don't forget your suntan lotion... Definitely don't want to forget that tongue

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

Maximus Egomember
10 posts

Posted:
We're baaaaack!
It was an amazing five weeks.
At considerable risk we sneaked our poi into the country. Finally, during the last week of our tour we met some Iranian artists and were able to fire dance for them twice. Once in a public park and once at a private villa.

Non-Https Image Link

A couple of them had gone to Goa and had seen it before. For the rest of them it was a mind-blowing, jaw-dropping experience.
I brought glow sticks. They had never seen them before. "Can you turn them off?" we were asked.
After our last show, Cyber Sprite and I gave our poi away to our Iranian friends.

peace,
Maximus