Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
So I left the office and was exhausted yesterday evening. I got on my train and had my "working girl mask' on ... you know ? no smile, tired, grey ...

this guy comes into the train and walks around the whole train saying "hello" to people, shaking hands, asking them how they are doing and saying "I'm counting on you guys, you' gotta smile now" as he left the train at the next station ...

there was a man beside me and he shook his shoulders and said in a bitter semi-loud voice "crazy fuck" ....

I looked around and some of us had "woken up" and gotten rid of their sad faces , some even started chatting...

and I looked at the man and just told him "define crazy" ... and he remained speechless...

And yes, the first second the guy started speaking in a loud voice and interacting with everyone, i admit I had the same reaction :"what does he want" ...

Why do we forget that sometimes, people do things for free ... you know ?

just sharing that with you

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I like that post.. Crazy is often just someone who doesn't fit with the societal norms.. But personally, I don't think I know anyone who fits the 'societal norms'..

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
hey thats petty cool, its nice to see someone who is really truly the kind of person who will just walk up to someone and try to brighten up there day for no reason except to make them smile. yeah lie smoky bowl said...crazy to some is just a person who doesnt fit in at that time

[ 10 April 2002, 04:15: Message edited by: XTREMRAVR ]

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I would say that Cantus fits in the crazy bracket

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Welcome Matt, have you seen your signature lately?

Defying the norms is great. As long as it's friendly. Talking to strangers (espically on trains) is excellent, but I rarely do it, being a boy of few words myself. I don't mind talking to randoms and 'crazy' people (some people are really crazy) and my friends often think I'm mad for talking to them.

Anyone who says 'crazy fuck' needs more strangers talking to them!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I get called crazy and weird a lot. And I'm not really all that abnormal looking. It's because of how I act and what I do. I have found that the people who call names or make fun are doing so because they are uncomfortable, and the way they deal with it is by belittling the person who made them feel that way. They usually have issues, and that is their way of maintaining control. Someone came through and disrupted their little bubble, and to get themselves back to normal, they try to get back up from as many people as possible that that person was a "crazy fuck." You challenged him (YAY! YOU!) and that is why he backed down. He didn't get the support he needed.

The world needs more people like that. People who aren't afraid to challenge societies codes. I'm sure that 50 people could have called him a crazy fuck to his face, and he would have smiled and kept right on going.

You picked up the vibe and kept it going, Cass. Good job!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I think I'll go with Dali's definition:

"La seule différence entre moi et un fou, c?est que moi je ne suis pas fou!"

or...

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad!"

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
IMHO crazy can be a wonderful thing to call somebody... it's one of the most used words when i describe my friends, the other one being "strange" ("a bit crazy", "REALLY strange"...)
i take it as not being completely "normal", doing what you like without thinking about what the rest of the world thinks about you, even if some people stare at you (or even because of that...) or call you stuff, and i think most of us have had those experiences... these times most people think too much about public image, they don't do a lot of things they could do really well just because of what other people may think... i say: if you don't like it, don't look...
so, i'd say most of us are a bunch of crazy fucks(only if you like it, i won't force you... ), so live on and be happy...
peace
SaBBaS

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thank you for sharing that Cass. It was lovely, so long as no one found their wristwatch to be missing (it is a pickpocket ploy, so I can be cynical when it comes to this as well). It was a lovely story and very indicative as to what effect a simple, sincere, friendly gesture can have.

I have been called every name in the book that is synonymous with crazy, and some I have never heard of but two quick things come to mind.

1) "There is no virtue in being normal, in fact, it rather denotes a lack of courage." -Practical Magic (I love that quote!)

2) I am not weird, strange, crazy, psycho, off-kilter, out of my mind or any other such reference.
If I must be labelled then call me
Pleasantly Unique please!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
That man is not crazy he is a genius (sp obviusly I am not). Look at the significants of what he did. By shaking a few hands and smileing he showed a bunch of strangers that they didnt have to know eachother to get along. A smile is a smile in every language. I admire a man who has the balls to walk up to a stranger shake their hand like he had known them forever. The world needs more people like that man.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thats one of the most awesome stories I've heard in a long time. Even if he did take their watches, it may have been worth it for a few smiles in the the train.

As well as the infectious happiness of the fellow, he also gave others a reason to talk to each other. Something out of the norm will often make people want to talk to the stranger next them about it. Few ever get up the courage, unless someone else has been seen talking to strangers first.

I see this all the time in crowds and bust stops and anywhere where strangers gather to wait together.

Admittedly, in most cases it is my unicyle...but anything prop or unusual action will do. The trick is to have them make happy pleasant comments like this guy seemed to do, and to have that balance out the negative comments such as the second man with the rude comment.

What a number of people fail to take into account, is that some people (regardless of whether they are nice or nasty) react to unusual situations with shock and usually have a negative response. Be aware of this when doing wierd things like firedancing or unicycling etc and don't dismiss them as horrible people when you have caused the jolt that made them do what they did.

Wait a little longer, to see if they get over the initial shock and then see what sort of person they are.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble as usual...just my 5.5 cents...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
I have a simmilar story...

I was on a bus, not feeling to well, and obviously projecting that feeling right out there, 'coz this guy in a cafe' next to one of the bus stops saw me through the window and gestured for me to smile It brightened me up so much.

Maybe he wasn't as corageous ("crazy") as the guy in your story but he made me smile.

It's good to know that (some) people care if your feeling happy

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
I have another similary story. All it takes is one smile.

I recently moved house about a month ago. I catch the bus to work from right outside my new house

Every morning there are about 4 people that catch the same bus. Every morning these four people come down to the bus stop stand in the same place about a metre apart from each other and don't say a word don't look at each other. I watched this for about a week with my walkman on. the next week I went down and said Hello to everyone individually and smiled at them all

They all looked at me kinda funny but said hello back. the next day I did the same thing. One of the guys started talking to me about the weather etc. The next day I did the same thing and they all started talking to each other and me. That was about two weeks ago and they all chat and talk now.

something really interesting though. Two of the people have been catching the same bus every morning for the last three years. they are neighbours live right next to each other and they have never ever spoken to each other. didn't even know they lived next door??

Just thought I would add to the smiling theme!!

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
This post is quite revealing for me. It isn't the skirt - it's the fact that I've always wondered what people really thought about cheerful stanger banter. I do it partically everyday (much to the embarassment of any friends that may be nearby) and have always suspected that most of my vict- conversations ended up with that 'crazy fuck' mental smell in the air.

But ya know what? they're only half right cus I makes me apreciate what time i do have in this life!
A stranger is only a friend ya ain't met yet. ('cept unless they're wearing a boyzone T! ) and it's soo true. It's what I used to do for pranks - I now do it for a different enjoyment! Ya just can't beat that 20 people+ cuddle puddle ya end up in at New Years raves

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

6,978 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah.. and if talking up strangers is crazy, and asylum food is that good, then lock me up baby! and don't hold back the weird smocks either!

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i think he sounds crazy with a some people are crazy with and even still some are crazy like this . crazy is such a beautiful sounding word we shouldn't narrow it down to just one type of person or occurance. soon i will be crazy

6,978 posts

Posted:
But.. I use the term crazy often identically in the same bart simpson way i way 'wikkid' or 'sick' I know alot of people online just dunno about that idiosyncrasy. Especially non-western ICQ victims so when i say that dwarve tossing is crazy, it ain't about schizophrenia.
I like long words.
like: 'weeeeeeeeeeeeee'

4,224 posts

Posted:
Adam, that quote is one of my favourites along with : "selfish are those who don't think of me"

Ray, I agree that in most cases a smile is a smile... and yet again... I know it can mean much more than just a happy contact and interaction. When lived in Japan, i've experienced smiles that meant "are you trying to make me lose face cause if so I'm gonna smash you to the ground"...
But in general I admit that a smile is usually a warm, wonderful and international key to communicating

Charles, thank you. I *really* appreciate your point of view. If I am to expect from people that they try to open up ... I definitely have to respect the pace at which they tend to do so and give them a chance ... that really got me thinking.

I love to chat with people anywhere and in any situation. I am a quite open person I think. And for 3 years I was with a guy who got upset when I took the time to laugh and chat with someone in eth street or chat with a grandma who seems lost (Lol.... those who know me here allerady know of my "gerontophilia" ) etc... and he'd get so upset. So upset even that sometimes when I turned around he was gone ... And so i want to thank NYC for letting me be "just a bit crazy" with respect and kindness

Also got me thinking about cultural differences. When I took my masters year in Anthropology, I was fascinated by the studies of other cultures and the way they treat madness. (which reminds me of a long conversation Smoky Bowl and I had last week end )

For example I find it quite interesting that in some cultures in every village there is "the crazy / simple man" (please forgive me if I chose the wrong words, hope you know what I mean.). And he / she is tolerated and usefull to the society.

Also in litterature, around every king is the King's fool (?). It is the one who dares and can speak the truth ... truth being a very strong weapon , it has to be delivered by an inoffensive Human Being ...

I have friends who are Psychatrist and they admit that some pathologies go hand in hand with a hyper-accurate insight on life/people... Patients who can sense what most people miss...

I just think that there is much more to crazyness than just "crazy fucks"... questions about normality, truth, society ...

Does that make sense ?

shine on
Cassandra

[ 10 April 2002, 20:28: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
"Define Crazy"
- alive.

He said "Crazy Fuck", did he then say "Pardon my French"
So what is Crazy Fuck in French?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

4,224 posts

Posted:
he actually said "sale con de fou" which litterally means "dirty crazy asshole" ... but even in French it is not proper grammar...

anyway ...

Kykeonmember
1 post

Posted:
Madness is a western invention. The catch all mental illness term schizophrenia doesn't exist in tribal cultures, Most tribes belive in posession of one form or another but this is always curable without the "mad" person being loaded up with anti depressants which have never done any good to anyone really.
There must be a lot of money in having a fair share of the population believing that they have something wrong with their heads which they need to sought out...

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Totally. We live in a world where random acts of kindness lead to mistrust and even fear. It's sad really, we shouald all move somewhere nice with trees and rivers and mountains....

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

4,224 posts

Posted:
or try to make what surrounds us better

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i learned dirty french words i learned dirty french words....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

4,224 posts

Posted:
you're crazy , Bro

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm not crazy Welcome Matt, I'm comfortably different.

Meh

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Crazy is what people use to describe those who pose to threaten their picket fenced 'neighbours' view of the world...'what we don't understand we fear, and what we fear we destroy.'I just got back from confest, a festival in NSW, Australia, where you can (and are almost expected to) talk to anyone and everyone, hug anyone for the hell of it, greet all with a warm welcome, and shed your insecurities along with your threads...try to bring that back to the city? Hmm maybe not-you'd be locked in the bin within 24 hours...but I see people who obviously lead fairly conventional lives- doctors, lawyers etc,-just blissing out drenched in sun and mud and warm fuzzy feelings, hanging out with hippies and farmers and cookie sellers without a care or inhibition in the world..and you know what? It gives me faith to know that given half a chance, most people would greet their 'frinds they haven't met yet'with a big hug and smile, if they weren't fearful of rejection.
'Crazy' is just society's way of keeping hugs to an orderly level, or no one would ever make it to work on time..

I'm out of my mind...but you can leave a message

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Crazy is....ME!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA
sorry I had to do that...I'll go now...

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I love this thread... I can relate so well... I talk to strangers maybe more than I should... But a stranger is just a friend you haven't meet yet...

I normally (and I use the word normally loosly) talk to people I have no idea who they are on trains... You can be called a freak... or you can start to have a pretty good conversation with someone...

I want to go back to the days of small towns, trading with cattle, sheep, and dairy products, plus eggs... every one knew your name back then... Put starw in me mouth and call me goober......

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

6,978 posts

Posted:
Also another thing about infecting frendliness to strangers - when done well, kids lurrrrve, they just luurve it! I had a small posse of primary school age kiddies during confest - they luv it when they meet a 'grown up' wacky enuff to be silly wif 'em. It was really wierd cos I had like 2 drops and experienced meeting my younger self in person! i just love connecting to an age in my life where r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y was only a word to be regurgitated at spelling bees. fun fun phun.
rhymes with monkey's ... shin.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Define crazy
-
Sanity

Sounds about right. Everyone's insane because their different than anyone else I guess?

Page: