DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking about re-wicking my 4 footers or maybe just building new 5 footers. I want LOTS of fire though.

Obviously this takes a lot of wick so trying to figure out how I'm going to do it. At the moment I'm thinking 2 sets of 2 feet of 4 inch wick, side by side on each side (8 inches of wick on each side, 2 feet long).

I wonder would 2 feet give me a decent enough burn time? 8 inches still doesn't seem that big when I look at it though frown

Bluecat, how's those sticks you use on O'Minero that have fire down the length wicked and how do they work?

As you all know wick is expensive so anybody's ideas or comments on what wick you have and how you find it would be gladly recieved.

James

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nah... Why do things by halfs? Get a 6 metres of 6cm wick and do two 1.5m long wicks at each end. Phat wicks is what you want... I think also if you could find 8cm wide kevlar it would be better, as well, you wouldn't have the gap... Or three lots of 4cm would do too...

And when you're attaching them I think it helps to wrap masking tape around the wicks before you start screwing in screws/bolts. It keeps the wick in place, and it makes the whole screwing process easier. (and it comes off at the end too! It's only masking tape.)

fire scares me.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There is a staff version of the Canon balls. ubbloco I'll have to post a picture. Extreme amount of flame for the amount of wicking you use. When you wrap wicking over itself to bulk up the wick head, the covered wicking just becomes a sponge for fuel. It's not exposed to fire and as much heat. Use something else to bulk up the head then cover it with the expensive kevlar. There is pictures of the Canon balls in my gallery. Hopefully they'll give you some ideas. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i'm currently makeing a staff, and i was wondering how much kevlar i need to buy for a good, reasonable sized wick. any suggestions?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Gruntathonstranger
7 posts

Posted:
I have 8 inches of wick on each end of my stick, which is about 4-5 feet total length.

Its hot and scary enough with 8 inches I would not recommend going any more unless you have a very long stick. 8 inches is practically too much as it is, if im not twirling it, it gets burny handy.

It burns for a long time, more than enough to get me tired, and does not go out easily, which is great if you want to go fast.

The sound is very impressive as well.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i use on my staffs that i sell... 50cm of 4 inch wick on easch end as a base

this gives a really good visual burn time, as as the tick is wrapped tightly the fule can not escape as eaily as with a lose wick, meaning teh fire draws it out better and thus a better burn

if you wish to extend you wicks then butt up next to it the desired length

i would start with adding maybe about 2inches to your 4, or if you wish add 4 to four right up next to it

this will give you a differnet style flame size, and a larger flame at burn off, but more wick means more fire, so be carefull, you dont wnat to have so much wick the staff is unusable due to teh lames lick up the staff and burn your hands, and also yuo dont wnat it to produce so many fumes that it makes you ill

the most i have had on a staff os 16 inches, and taht hurt!

the flames rose up teh staff and burn my hands so that they tingled it was not very nice, shorty afater the staff was killed and teh wick used on different toys!

if you can have a look at other peoples stcisk around you at your next meet, you might find a 6inch flame is teh right way to go for you

strugz has a 6inch wick after he saw mine a while back, and taht what i like, although at the mo im using 4 inch wicks ill be going back to 6 when i make my new toys biggrin

enjoy

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I was think about wrapping the wicking down the staff until it was as long as i needed it to be and then adding layers as required.

my question would be whats the minimum number of layers you can get away with.

right now i have 6 2ft lengths of 4inch whid wick just waiting to be gobbled yup by a fire monster.

Love is the law.

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
I just burned with my double wicks......it was great. A lot of fire. best time of my life. :Smile:

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war

for a lead role in a cage?

--Pink Floyd

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Another way of wicking a stick for lots of fire surface are using kevlar rope.

Cut out a groove across the top of the staff, lay the rope in it and then twist away. It should look like one of those twister lollies when done but it dont arf get hot!

The end is finished with a screw and washer to hold in place (part timber core)

Burn time is about 6-7mins and its surprising the fuel they hold - this was with 1/4inch rope.

Scroll down a little but - my stix

I made them ages ago and the pix are not great nut they will give you an idea of what im going on about............

Have fun smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
strugz.......could i get you to make me some sticks if i give you some cash? as i want a pair that are not bendy like mine

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Check pmz 2moz, got to go work now smile

but yeh wink
EDITED_BY: strugz (1112874754)

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
thank you smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

razzaSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
how do u get the wicks to stick to the staff ???

Horsepower is how fast u hit a tree. Tourqe is how far the tree goes with u

allfiredupstranger
19 posts

Posted:
u can u wire

drill a hole threw the staff wrap the kevla around
push wire through then twist it

it gets hot if u dont drill same holes further down the staff

have any 1 tried different hole sizes 4 different harmonics ?? grouphug

ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power

razzaSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
with towel wicks y do people say to cover in in PVA glues wats does PVA glue do ???

Horsepower is how fast u hit a tree. Tourqe is how far the tree goes with u

mrsoapnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
I'm really lazy. When I run out of whick, I just buy a new staff.

Love,
- Eric

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
a quick wuesion , should the wick be rolled tight on the staff, or a little looser , or realy loose.. i thought that a little loose would be best, cos then the fuel can get into the middle that bit easier.. any advice/ suggestions out there?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
 Written by: razza

with towel wicks y do people say to cover in in PVA glues wats does PVA glue do ???

PVA glue gets harder and harder when it burns and stops the edges from fraying - so I'm told smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I thought looser, meant a faster brighter burn, with more air, better burn offs etc.

Ben told me tighter is better and I am converted at the moment. Burn offs are still fine, burns longer and plenty bright.

I think tighter'll have the wicks last longer tooo....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... wicks last longer if they are tighter (I've found)... not too tight though, cos then the fuel doesn't get into it properly.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I like em tight..

Love is the law.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I always fray one of the corners at the end of the wick so that they are easier to light.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
 Written by: OvertlyFlirtatiousSpork

I always fray one of the corners at the end of the wick so that they are easier to light.

Give them a couple of weeks and they'll get there on their own smile I usually dip the ends in glue to stop them fraying so quickly and thus greatly lengthening the life of the stick.

When you are wicking them pull a few strands out of the cut edge and let them stick out. This gives you an easy to light end without having to kick start the fraying process. hug

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
i've started gaffa taping my wicks when not on fire, saves wear when they hit the floor and makes them nice and fluffy and easy to light when you remove it, and you can have them ready soaked underneath, ready to burn.

Frenzicsnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
ok... so i plan on re-wicking (if that's a word) my current staff. it's got 2" wicks atmn but i wanna out 4" ones on it.
How should i go about it? what materials do i need and how do i attach it? A friend told me the kevlar (obviously) and the screws which i think i already have from my staff at the moment, but HOW?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
1. Remove old wicking.
2. Use masking tape to secure one end of the new wicking to the shaft. This is best done by starting the masking tape on the shaft, wraping it around so it overlaps, then sticking it to the wicking, about 3 or 4 inches onto the wicking is best.
3. Best if this can be done in a vice, but start to wrap the wicking around and around, pulling it TIGHT (see why the vise is useful?). I will usually wrap once then PULL, wrap around again and PULL, rinse and repeat.
4. Once you get towards the end of your new wicking i like to fold it back under itself. This is useful because you can adjust where the wicking ends and makes the little flap hanging over double thick.
5. Pull folded end into place (tightly) and wrap more masking tape around the wick to hold it. I like to wrap it all the way around the wick.
6. Drill a hole STRAIGHT down through the Kevlar and tubing using a drill bit that is slightly smaller then your screws, you should be able to feel the bit either hit and old hole or stop for a second while drilling a new hole in the metal.
7. Screw in the screws, i reccomend using washers as well. With 4 inch wicks i will usually only use 2 screws.
8. Flip your stick and refer to #1.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!