Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The idea for this thread hit me a few days ago when i gave someone my first ever set of poi so they could learn and practice.

I dont know why i dont mind giving away my toys, to date i have given away one set of tails, one set of socks and lent someone another set of tails.

Glass gave me a fire staff once.

I know quite a few people that have given away toys to new people.

What im asking is why do we not mind giving up these toys.
Do you ever give toys away?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've given away 3 pairs of sock poi and a pair of beamers (this one should be obvious wink )

I don't mind mainly cause I have so many poi that I'm not going to miss 'em....many I don't even use enough to justify owning.

I've lost 3 pairs of poi too and it doesn't bother me for the same reason as giving them away....I know they're still intact they're likely to be used so cool ....unless someone runs out of socks, like my girlfriend.... rolleyes

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i've given a fair few sets of sock poi away, and a few broomsticks, and my first firestaff

and i left my electroglo poi on a bus, does that count? umm

Have also been given loads of lovely stuff by other people.

i won my massive double head fire poi at the first clapham spin, nearly two years ago now.

Haven't used them for about 6months though.

i lent the handles to Weasel for his fire ropes, then they got all melted by a spinner who shall remain namelessflid tongue

Special mention to Bovrilmonkey who gave me two 5ft shiny aluminium poles that are all sparkly in summer sun smile

and the lovely mr fairie ben, who has not only recently made me

The NEWmonkeyDOOMstick™

but also gave me a set of his really nice sock poi
(currently the best poi available in Oddballs, even though the staff tend to push their nasty tail poi on newbies instead mad )

Which i then promptly lost frown

i should really stop losing stuff so much

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

....also gave me a set of his really nice sock poi
(currently the best poi available in Oddballs, even though the staff tend to push their nasty tail poi on newbies instead mad )

Hand on....sock poi are something proper you can buy? Everytime I've read about them I thought they were peoples sock!! What do they look like? (one person says 'socks' and I'll burst through your computer screen and shout obsenities at you!)

I gave my first poi to a friend so he could learn, I made another set for another friend too. I taught them both the basics but now neither of them bother so stuff em I say!!

I haven't been given anything tho as I only know one other guy who spins and we usually make our own stuff together, including my new broom handle and innertube....*ahem* I mean staff.

Which i then promptly lost frown

i should really stop losing stuff so much

Let's relight this forum ubblove

3,149 posts

Posted:
Sock poi = ball in a cone or tube of fabric

The fabric can originally have been a sock, but doesn't have to have been.

Glass and Fairie Ben (amongst many others) make funky poi that are totally unrelated to socks. But they're called sock poi anyway, because they're enclosed in fabric, to distinguish them from firechains or comet poi or whateeever.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Is that like what PoiPoiPoi uses in his demo vids on Spherculism?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a pair of sock poi, two sets of 3 juggling balls and one juggling club.

i think we do it cos giving away gifts that hold sentimental value feels really good if they are appreciated.
which they generally are... smile

i tend to buy new toys for xmas and birthday presents nowdays.
if that counts too then i've given away *loads* of toys...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Is that like what PoiPoiPoi uses in his demo vids on Spherculism?

hmmm. matt usually uses those little dog toy thingys.
with bells in the ends ubblove

haven't seen all the sperculism vids yet though so i might be wrong ubbangel

glass uses non-sock sock poi in 'drew and stick' and 'spinning in paris'.

nx? makes lovely red sock poi.
but to differentiate between sock poi made from socks (which are normally stretchy, at least to begin with) and sock poi made from non-stretchy cotton (or similar material), he calls them cone poi.

which makes sense smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have given away a couple of pairs of sockies (sock poi). And a stage ball, and some juggling balls. And a pair of flags.

I suppose i dont mind because i know that they would get a lot more use then with me, and probably make someone very happy (i know i was happy when Polythene gave me my mini poi, Flid gave me my mini flags and Mech gave me some glow thinggy poi biggrin )

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think I may have used sock poi in Bristol last year when someone came over as I was spinning, but they were full of sand and INCREDIBLY heavy and not really much good. With balls inside sounds much better...my house mate can make things like that and I think I've just found a new job for her to do!!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, I gave a pair of flags away last week smile I left a trail of equipment behind me when I travelled - and more balloons than I'd ever want to count. Flags are my main give away. Because I design and make them myself they're something special to hand over.

I know quite a few people who were given toys and they're treasured dearly. So I like to think you're really giving a gift when you give somebody your much loved toys.

Ever since I persuaded him to, all my sock poi have been made by Glass and I promptly retired from making sock poi. But now we've made Orange Poi² biggrin

3,149 posts

Posted:
Orange Poi² ?

i'd be rather excited and interested...

...if i didn't already own the best sock poi in the world ubbangel

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

...if i didn't already own the best sock poi in the world

We'll compare at synergy wink

*Moderator's Top Hat back on* And I'd like to remind the last couple of posters that you're going off topic. Please stop!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Kyrian gave me the worlds best firestaff! She saw how much I liked using it when she was in San Diego.
hug !Kyri! hug

Pozee gave me a set of glowstrings when I was just starting out and Fiesta Island gatherings were still a semi-popular thing to do. They're so smooth to spin... *sigh* then they got lost somewhere.

I've given away sock poi, and tons of practice staves. Etched stuff into a friends firestaff, but that turned out to be a dud idea. Its fun to see the look on their faces when they get all excited:D

Kinudin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The first time I spun my bubble poi I knew that Dom needed them.

It just made the world more right.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
We work on the "pass it on theory", that if we pass along items/ideas to ppl then the world is somehow a better place for me. We enjoy giving gifts.
I hope that the goodness I pass on will be forwarded by those ppl to someone else.

hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
S**T! How did I forget the bubble poi! Can't wait for summer to get them out again. I'm going to have to take a couple of sets to the EJC smile

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I tend not to give away my own personal toys, but I do like to make toys for my friends smile (personal and thoughtful gifts I hope!)

It's fun trying to visualize what they'd really want/ appreciate in a toy ubbidea

I was given my very first poi set as a Christmas gift, and my first fire set as a Christmas gift a year later smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I make all of my own Fire toys. I once thought about buying a fire staff, but found I could make one for 1/3 the price, and I think mine is better.

I like giving away my toys, SPREAD THE LOVE! ubblove Especilly if its to a fire friend who will use it! I have given away so many fire tools, I can't even think about tring to list them off ubblol

Happy Spinning ubbrollsmile weavesmiley

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i started making poi 4 years ago - every time i update the pattern or make an improvement i give a pair to my mate in Bristol who i started spinning with to test them out and i keep one pair for myself.

we've both got about 10 different designs now, and they're still commin!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Quote:

we've both got about 10 different designs now, and they're still commin!

I was wonderin' are you talkin about the Poi itsself or the chain/cord?

I have a few Cages I have been using for towle Poi. One is very Ornate with cool little swerly swerls to tighten up the wire/poi. Others are just to keep the stuffing in while spinning. I love finding new cages!~ and or designs biggrin

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
all sorts of changes really. I played around with different ways of weighting them, different types of chrd and light up or luminous stuff as well as lfags etc.

just whenever someone said 'i'd buy these if...' then i change them.

strong-bad pop up book,

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Eeek! Thius post reminds me, I lent an innercore staff to a friend of mine and haven't seen him for a year...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
give away toys? ubbcrying

I'm fairly liberal with lending people stuff, but i prefer to do extended loan rather than give away. I've given away stuff in the past to people who haven't used them, then other people who would have nothing. ubbidea

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Free stuff? Ill take it! Just send any spare/unwanted toys to me, Ill gladly accept. Im broke as hell and got the only toys I own as birthday/christmas presents. Youll never get my beamers or cathedrals!

PS - My birthday is coming up in April ubbidea
(21st too beerchug )

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I've given plenty away over the years, too many tennis ball and string poi to count! I've given away handmade ribbon poi and wooden staffs, towel wicks, leftover wicking, chains, handles that I've made, glowstick poi...

it's what makes it more fun ubbrollsmile

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
i make fire poi for people cos i cant afford to spen £30 quids on them min cos bout £12 ish

thinkin bout making a set for pauline actually...

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i just gave away a pair of sock poi yesterday. tho i'm not sure it was very much appreciated. makes me rethink the whole giving away toys thing frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
not exactly giving away - but i left my fire poi and a brand new thing of parrafin at the bus stop once. I went back the next day and they'd gone so i just hope that whoever found them

a) knows what they're for, and
b) get much joy out of using them and gets a load more people in to spinning!

i would absolutely love it if i'd been the one to find them, so i hope whoever did appreciates it as much as i would and that they weren't just thrown out by some street cleaner or destroyed as a weapon of mass distruction!

strong-bad pop up book,

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I've given a practice staff to Odin, and another practice staff to Y.T.. I've given poi to The Seal (burnt-one). And each time I know it's appreciated... even if you never see that person again... you've made a difference. tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Was too busy being a smart alleck in my last post and didnt actually think about it. But I gave 2 sets of poi away. They were both crap sets that I made myself but they were toys none the less. I gave one set to my cousin when I went to visit him in Kentucky and one set to a friend.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Page: