Page:
trixyBRONZE Member
100 posts

Posted:
i allways eat pancakes with sugar and lemon, but my ickle sis said she saw a thing on blue peter where they had cheese in theirs. that of course sounds sick to me as i am vegan and allergic to milk.
how do you eat your pancakes? asuming you celerbrate pancake day!

luv trixy ubbangel

THAT'S ABOUT AS SENSIBLE AS STANDING ON A HILL, IN A THUNDER STORM, HOLDING A GOLF CLUB AND SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOICE /ALL GOD'S ARE *BASTADS* -THE GREAT TERRY PRATCHETT.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

yes, but these days they are mostly sold in green glass bottles, mostly smile

Green glass bottles?! No wonder I can't find the damn things in the shop!!! ubbloco

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
I had lemon and sugar.

The lemon came in a yellow lemon shaped plastic bottle that had a flat end so it would stand.

This prompted me and my best buddy into a long discussion on wheather they (being mad scientists) would genetically modify fruit so that it would stand up better and not roll of the table. I then said what about the straight bannas that are taking over the world and we wondered what exactly would be the shape of things to come.

re cream eggs i had my first one of the year on monday and as a gemini I like to bite it, slurp it, bite it, slurp it!.

Poi... it's an obsession.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Lemon and Sugar

I went to the pancake house in Centre Parcs once and they do omlettes too and i was scared of the savoury pancakes so i ordered a sausage omlette but noooo they got the order wrong and gave me a sausage pancake it was damned tasty! (*Worries about her useless stories*)

But lemon and sugar

P.S I'm giving up choc and most sweets for lent...

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Green glass bottles?! No wonder I can't find the damn things in the shop!!! ubbloco

they do do the little lemon bottles too, we have both kinds of bottles in my cupboard....just to be diverse to all lemon juice bottles.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
BTW, I've heard that pounce likes pancakes with ice cream. ubbangel

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i do?

oh yes i do. but then again i like anything with ice cream. ubbangel

biggrin

**giggles**

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, you're not averse to the idea, are you?

I mean, could pancakes possibly make ice cream worse?

(I'm going to royally piss off the mods with this, I know... ubblol )

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I've never heard of lemon on pancakes. Sounds good, though.

My family makes pancakes like crepes - they're hungarian polichinta, basically. I usually eat them plain, but traditionally you're supposed to fill them with a mix of sugar and cinnamon and cottage cheese.

E pluribus unum, baby.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I only have a good recipe for vegan american style pancakes, so either maple syrup or homemade belgium chocolate sauce and soya icecream ubblove

Too late for pancake day now (although i'm not christian anyway so it doesn't really matter), but do you have a good working vegan recipe for large traditional style (like crepe thickness/size) pancakes trixy?

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
there's a pancake day?! why have i not been informed about this before? anyway i like mine w/ just plain syrup on them (maybe alittle bit of butter) too late for pancake day frown but that doesn't mean i can't still have some!~ biggrin and flid how is this pancake day related to christianity? sorry if it's a dumb ? but i dunno. hug

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i just bought a waffle maker biggrin actually it was a waffle stick maker....the waffles break apart to sticks for dipping biggrin

**giggles**

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

there's a pancake day?! why have i not been informed about this before?.....how is this pancake day related to christianity?

If I remember from when they forced Christianity down our throats at school....pancake day come from when you get all the stuff you usually don't eat (in olden days, so eggs milk and flour was about all they had) put it together and eat nothing else for the 40 days of lent, purging yourself of all the other bad things inside you thus purifying youself. Something to do with Christ being re-born at easter I think. I'm sure any Christian would be much better at explaining it that me tho. I kinda didn't pay attention at school cuz of the views I had of 'preaching' at the time. (and still do)

Quote:

I've never heard of lemon on pancakes. Sounds good, though.

Never heard of lemon on pancakes?! That sounds really strange to me cuz I think I've only ever had lemon and sugar on mine! But I think our pancakes may be a little different than americans. Ours are thin like Crepes but the ones I've seen on tv in America are really thick and pile up high. I want to try them but I've never found any in the UK or Europe to eat!

Everyone is making Maple Syrup sound lush...I want to try that when I find some thick pancakes!! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i eat mine four at a time with sugar and lemon, honey, choc,

i also like pancakes with ham and soft cheese in them! HMMM very nice, like a wrap!

*drool*

right food time for me i think!

Step (el-nombrie)

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
yeah me too!! all this talk of pancakes i havent had any brekke yet!

i have mine with butter or to be exciting GOLDEN SYRUP! pure sugah lurvely!!!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya american pancakes are much different than around the world. in fact when you go to IHOP or some pancake place like that here, they have the "international pancakes" section, where you can order german, swedish, and i forget what else. but they are thinner, come with lemon and sugar and all that, depending on the type. i've never had them, but i have had crepes which in incredibly yummy. mmmmm. i bought a crepe maker last year. we used to have crepe parties where we'd invite loads of people over and make dinner and dessert crepes. chicken, provolone, lettuce, onion, tomato, and ranch dressing. soooo yummy. and then strawberries, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream. **melts**

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
a crepe maker? where did you find it? that sounds like a wonderful invention. I don't have the patience for doing it the hard way, but fell in love with crepes when I was in Paris a few summers ago. Going to the little crepe vendor down the street for an afternoon snack was divine ubblove

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
you can buy it at bed, bath, and beyond. it's sooo freakin easy to use too. it's an electric one, where you just dip the top of the thing into a bowl of the crepe mix. super super easy. if you want to buy a normal crepe maker, this site usually has them, but it's under construction at the moment. this place is sooo fantastic for crepes, but unfortunately they only have them in utah. they need to put them up in other places!!!

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
ooh...Thinks I'll be stopping by BB&B while I'm in Houston this weekend...simple, easy, & electric are all good in my book...

off to dream about yummy crepe fillings

trixyBRONZE Member
100 posts

Posted:
yes i do have a traditional pancake recipe and they end up so much like un vegan ones (if made correctly) that when i first had them i thought my mum was trying to poison me by feeding me 'real' ones.

what you need: 4 oz of flour
heap teaspoon of soya flour
3 soup spoons and 1/2 a pint of water
a pinch of salt

method:

get a large mixing bowl, put the flour and salt in and make a well in the centre. fill the well with the soya flour and the 3 soup spoons of water. mix the wated into the soya flour a bit and then add half the remaining water (1/4 pint). mix centre again and add remaning water. mix again and gradually mix in the flour. if you find you have lumps beat batter with a hand whisk (electic ones add too much air).

put the batter into the fridge for at least half an hour, better pancakes if left in fridge longer.

when you come to cook your pancakes, first give the batter another mix with a wooden spoon as metal seems to make it go funny, also mixing between each pancake stops the batter from seperating.
put oil in the pan and heat untill almost smoking, very hot. these pancakes take a little bit longer than 'real' ones but the cooking is basicaly the same. always make sure the pan is very hot or they cook too slowly and stick.

hope thats helpful.

luv trixy ubbangel

THAT'S ABOUT AS SENSIBLE AS STANDING ON A HILL, IN A THUNDER STORM, HOLDING A GOLF CLUB AND SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOICE /ALL GOD'S ARE *BASTADS* -THE GREAT TERRY PRATCHETT.

trixyBRONZE Member
100 posts

Posted:
pancake day is actually shove tuesday (followed by ash wednesday) it is traditional in many countrys (including england) to eat pancakes on this day and so has come to be known as 'pancake day'. it is the begining of lent and these days that means pig out on pancake day and then give something up for lent.

english pancakes are similar to french crepes and nothing like american pancakes which are simply a food stuff, not religeous in any way. pancake day is a very old tradition and associated with the traditional fliping of the pancake and pancake races (where people hold a pan with a pancake on it and run along trying to flip it as well as get to the finish line without droping it.)

thats about all i know about pancake day, i dont know much about christs involvement with pancakes.

luv trixy ubbangel

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool, thanks a lot for the recipe smile

I don't buy soya flour anymore (i've managed to replace it in all the recipes i've tried), but i'll see if i can find a small bag to give it a try. The soya flour and spoons of water should be replaceable with soya milk, but I'll have a play sometime when i have a free afternoon ubbrollsmile

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I've never heard of the sugar and lemon bit before reading this thread, and now I've been craving it! I'm used to the "american" pancakes, (as american as they can get in canada) and living in eastern canada i've only ever put maple syrup on mine.
Curiosity got the better of me, and since I didn't feel like making pancakes I toasted some of those fresh, square blueberry waffles and squeezed half a lemon on the and sprinkled them with confectioners sugar.
Best. Breakfast. Ever.
Although, maple butter is good....

P*L*U*R

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
are you guys trying to tell me you only eat pancakes on pancake day?!
and doc its easy to get it...the one with the lion on that comes in what looks like a paint tin smile
and its lemon and sugar all the way for me

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

Page: