CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Hey I remember once a while ago someone said they made a pair of fire "glowsticks", or just long thin cathedral wicks. I cant find the thread so I might as well just ask again.

Im looking to make like 4 of these things or 6, depends on how much kevlar i'll be needing. Im planning to have either 2 or 3 on a chain so it'll almost be like a rope poi but i want to be able to detach each wick so i can shorten or lengthen the poi at will and even have the ability to add other fire heads on the end. biggrin

My problem is ive never made a cathedral wick before so i dont know how to fold the wicking and everything. On top of that these things are thin so i doubt i can use whatever they sell in the shop as far as equipment to secure the kevlar and keep it together.

If anyone knows how to make these babies or can direct me to a place that can tell me it'd be very much appeciated. O yea if i can make them 5" long each how much kevlar would i need for one?

Thanks

-Brett wave

A cute girl after I finished spinning fire at this party :
"OMG ur soo hot!" biggrin

I love being a fire spinner

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
hmmm, i dunno. but i know they make actual fire GLOsticks. they're high intensities and glow a certain orange that ends up looking almost like fire.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i saw this thread and just knew that punce was going to reply.... so in turn i thought that i had too... i am very smelly at the moment, as i have just been for a spin, and those who have met me can appreciate i get *covered* in parrafin...

anyway, somewere in the haunts of hop i once read a thread by young flid about how to make "Flids" although they are a completley differnent design the basis of the cathedral wick is explained.. so here:

[Old link]

i cant do those flashey things where u write "here" and then thats the url, though anyone is welcome to pm me and inform me of how to do it!! i would apreciate it alot!!

try using a similar cathedral design to the flids? its a start anyhow..

so hopefully somthing i have said might have helped...
ubbloco

passing through, this world still lives.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
why did you know i would reply? confused

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
*glomps pounce* because.. you're a post whore tongue (just kidding hon!)

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
ahhhh! my thread is being adulterated ubblol

Mhmm but nah im not looking for glowy stuff, i meant like the thin long cathedrals

-Brett

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
surely flids "flids" could be adapted?

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Ok so i can use the method u used to make "flids" for the wick head itself, but i still dont know much kevlar i would need to make it 5" high. If u are using 6' for yours would i need probably the same since i would only be using the 2" kevlar and making folds only that big. Anyone know exactly how much to use? Im just curious because these are much thinner and i dont know if it makes a differance with the method of construction compared to a regular sized cathedral.

-Brett

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
why not just go to tube cores? sounds like it would be a lot easier

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Ugh I hate tubecores. Tooo much metal exposed for me, plus I wanna be able to link these things together. Tubecores only have one attachment point.

Plus I like a challange hehe wink

-Brett

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Dont know how much you would need... But Im sure with a little experimentation with other materials (towel or something) you could figure it out. Or even get a rough estimate and Im sure they wouldnt come out horrible.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
u can add a loop to the tube core, so that it could be attached in different places... or just run the chain down through the centre of the tube core, so that u could add a quick link... and hey presto u have a tube core with two attachment points

wwwww
------------
0ooooo0ooooooooooo
------------
wwwww

k i hope u get the idea....

o = chain
w = wick
0 = point of connection (quick link/ bolt)
- = the tube core, imagine !!

hope this helps?! confused

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Would that be safe?I mean having the chain, either ball or link, as the core of a tubecore. I would think that it'd be kinda flimsy and the wicking wouldnt stay on.
Maybe if u took a small pipe cut into 4" pieces then drilled some holes into the ends so u could attach a cross bar where u could put the quicklink onto it. And this could be done on both sides. Then put the wicking around it and drill into place.

Grrr i wish i knew how to put pics on here to show u what i mean. Hmm just think hard and it'll make sense tongue

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i meant that the ----- was a pipe, not the chain!!! ubbloco ubbloco

and a bar across would work too. ubbtickled

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Alright now it makes more sense. I guess this would cost a lot less money then the previous method

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've wondered what it would be like to have very thin wicks and then surround them with toughenned glass (so it won't break on your head!) to see what they look like when they spin....if it's a glass tube open at both ends the burning shouldn't be affected....still I'll probably never make them anyway

Let's relight this forum ubblove

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
umm

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
mmm...has that ever been done before? It sounds kinda odd.
what would the glass do? confused

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Quote:

why not just go to tube cores? sounds like it would be a lot easier

because tubecores suck for poi
only thing tubecore wicks are good for is when they get taken apart and the wicking is put on a staff....thats it.......oooh and as a torch....but thats about it

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Maybe I shoulda said this earlier but I changed my mind from the first idea. Ive had my eyes set on a pair of rope poi since before December and now that I have the $$$ im gonna go ahead and make them. If ur interested heres the specs:

3ft of 1" thick kevlar rope(cut into 1' 6" sections)

1ft of #13 ball chain (cut int0 4" sections)

and heXus(because he kicks ass) is making me a pair of new handles biggrin

I dunno about the 3ft of kevlar though, I might need more so I can like tie a knot at the end of each rope for weight, so I might get 5ft so I can leave enough for the knot.

Why can I never make my mind up on toys, in order to get my staff I had to order it on impulse ubbloco

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
Makes ya wanna learn how to sew, eh CirRus? I'm actually gonna see if I can get some more of that nylon.. maybe a camping store will have it. OOoh.. maybe Wal-Mart will have it. Ah well.. something to ponder about.

-Matt-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
FireMikeZ had a pair of fire glowsticks that I actually played with once. What he did was he took two metal dowels or tubes about 6 inches long and mounted itty bitty wicks on either end. You have to wear gloves to play with them and because they're about 8" long total, you can't quite maneuver them like normal glowsticks.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
wow that sounds fun tongue

they sound like mini clubs, i dunno if i'd use em tho.
besides im not the greatest when it comes to glowsticking like that

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Glass Tubes....

mmm...has that ever been done before? It sounds kinda odd.
what would the glass do? confused

I just mean what it would look like with the flames licking against the insides of the glass...but thinkin about it they'd probably soot over anyway.

Let's relight this forum ubblove