Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Found out that my poor dog Dolly got sprayed last night by a skunk. Which has decided to take up it's residency under my family's home. eek

I called the vet I work for and got the recipe for skunk bath. So for you fellow HoPpers who might in the future have an encounter with a skunk or their beloved pet, here is the recipe.

1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
1/2 cup Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of Liquid Dish Soap

Mix the ingredients and let stand for 10minutes. Then put it in a squirt bottle or use it as a bath. *(*note- the solution may temporarily bleach skin, usually after taking a shower it will come off as with clothing).

Hopefully nobody will have this problem though.

~Toodles ubbtickled

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
eww thats awful!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
lol, that reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine. doush actually works really well to get the skunk smell out too (ubblol yes i know). she was walking her dogs and they got sprayed by a skunk. so she went to the store and bought like 20 boxes of doush....imagine the look on the cashier's face! ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Ooooohhh.... What a pain.

The smell of skunk is actually kinda nostalgic for me. Reminds me of growing up in the burbs. Not that I'd wear it as perfume mind you....

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya me too....reminds me of summers in so. cal. on vacation, driving through the hills smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Also, FYI, tomato juice does not work. All it does is that it acidifies the thiol molecules that make the skunk skank. In time, the reaction reverses and the stank skank comes back. So it just covers it up for a little while.

Peroxide and baking soda (with a bit of detergent to help clean up the reactants) actually oxidize the skunk stank skank molecules so that they don't smell anymore.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ummm I wonder what a skunk smells like confused

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
yeah Valura - we're pretty lucky given all our venomous critters in oz, that we don't have one that makes you stink!!

(oh wait, we probably do, the stink bug comes to mind... eek)

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
when my mom was little she used to have a pet skunk until one day she accidently stepped on it and it sprayed her so she took it to the vet to make it so it couldn't do that anymore but it died during the operation for it. ubbcrying

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, Valura. Imagine sticking your nose right up to a rotten egg covered in six-day-old coffee grounds and having someone blow marijuana smoke in your face.

That's what skunk smells like. But worse.

-Mike

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Ok, Valura. Imagine sticking your nose right up to a rotten egg covered in six-day-old coffee grounds and having someone blow marijuana smoke in your face.

That's what skunk smells like. But worse.

getting the weed blown in your face would be a good thing.

I think it's more like: 2 rotten eggs, week old coffee grounds, and rotten tobacco.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
nah, i'm gonna go with the really potent weed smell.

**giggles**

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
so, do people get 'skunked' very often?
do they just come up and do it?
do you have to provoke them?
do they smell in general, or just when they want to?

confused
inquiring minds need to know eek

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ewwwww.... but pepe la pew is always so cute and accomadating..... Im with you ade stink bugs aint my favourite lil things in the land! ubbtickled

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i need Skunk, I want 10 000 women.

I dont know if you can quite picture that, 10 000 women, all at one time.

wink

1,032 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Also, FYI, tomato juice does not work. All it does is that it acidifies the thiol molecules that make the skunk skank. In time, the reaction reverses and the stank skank comes back. So it just covers it up for a little while.

That is partly true. If you use just tomato juice then yes it will not work. But if used in conjuction with baking soda then it will work.

My mom heard about using douch also. So she went and bought some boxes of the Apple Blossom scent and is gonna use baking soda along with it. ubblol

Well at least she will smell fruity and not like a skunk wink

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

1,032 posts

Posted:
Quote:

so, do people get 'skunked' very often?

do they just come up and do it?

do you have to provoke them?

do they smell in general, or just when they want to?

confused

inquiring minds need to know eek

People rarely get skunked by a skunk. Skunks are nocturnal and are shy creatures. They use their spray as a defense mechanism to deter predators. They will spray if they are provoked or scared. Most of the time though they try and avoid people. Likewise most people try and avoid them too ubblol

Not too sure on them smelling like spray or not. I believe they only smell when they have "gone off".

You don't even have to be right there to smell one. If a skunk has sprayed, usually when you are driving down the road out in the middle of nowhere you can smell it as it drifts on the wind into your vehicle through the vents. Or if one happened to get hit on the road YOU CAN SMELL IT! spank

It is not a pretty smell.

One thing even worse is to get bit or scratched by one, because they are real common rabies carriers. So if you ever visit a country where skunks are known to be, and if you see one, calmly walk the other way and stay out of its path.

peace
EDITED_BY: Mistress Aurora (1077735334)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I once interrupted two skunks in the middle of...um...making more skunks. wink

I didn't get sprayed, but the male looked pretty darned irritated. ubblol

-Mike

1,032 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I didn't get sprayed, but the male looked pretty darned irritated.

I would be too if somebody interrupted my ice cream session ubblol spank