Forums > Social Chat > Phobia's (and my stupid one)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:Ok i know a lot of people who have phobia's but i have never met someone with the same phobia as mine, and it's actually getting quite annoying and i would like some advice on how to overcome it.

So don't laugh - but i have a really wierd fear of silence. I always have to have music on or a TV on in the background. It started as a dislike to silence and it's now growing. I can't sleep unless there is noise, and it can't even be a repetitive noise like a clock or things.

It is growing though, i feel physically sick and panic if there is silence - like when i walk into my flat after turning my walkman off and on the way to turn the radio on. I don't know why and it is really starting to get stupid.

Anyone else share a stupid phobia such as mine? Or have any ideas what to do about it? (Or even know if it has a name - like claustrophobia and such?)

ubbangel

EDITED_BY: Pink...? (1077564286)

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete Topic

GottaLoveIt

GottaLoveIt

Sponge

Total posts: 883
Posted:I have no idea how to get over your phobia... so I canne help Sorry!

I have a much more stupid phobia though:

I do not like buttons... large detatched buttons freak me out... if they're medium and attatched to jeans I'm ok with it but the new fashion of big wooly jumpers with big buttons freak me out... people can wear them but I can't go near them... yes it is very very strange and I cannot explain it and please do not taunt me with buttons I just dun like em!

Hope the silence sorts itself out hug

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Delete

WryTerra

WryTerra

The reason we say "European"

Total posts: 912
Posted:Well they do say to confront your fears.

I've been confronting my fear of crowds of strangers with things like joe's place get togethers and even a trip to london.

Maybe book some time in an isolation tank? If you don't like it you can get out afterall.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

Delete

Narr

Narr

(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)

Total posts: 2568
Posted:okay pink hug best thing to do is what Q said and confront your fear .. try everyday to sit in silence for at least 5 mins .. you may feel panicy at first and if you do try sit the panic feeling out cos otherwise you are just inbedding in your brain that silence is bad .. then build it and eventually you'll be fine ..

to be honest i found that when i moved to london i did it for comfort..even though the house was filled with my mates i guess i subconsious;ly felt alittle insecure and always had the music or tv on..even when i went to sleep .. i found that as soon as i went back home i stopped doing it .. so that may be the trigger for you!? who knows..but try do what i suggested and if you feel you can sit in silence for as long as you can .. over time you will be fine smile you just gotta retrain your brain out of thinking that way is all hug

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Delete

pounce
SILVER Member since Jan 2003

pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart

Total posts: 9831
Posted:you know, i've found A LOT of my clients are afraid of silence. of course, it's usually just those uncomfortable silences they are afraid of. makes them think to much i guess. as a therapist i had to get comfortable with silence real quick.

i don't like bugs. they make me squirmish. i think i need to get married just to have someone there to kill the bugs for me. that's all. no other reason ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

mrFlibble
SILVER Member since Mar 2003

Ghostbuster

Total posts: 455
Posted:wow a couple of quite wierd phobias there. mine is one of the most common ones i think. spiders are the only thing that really bothers me. i'd rather go in a room with a large angry lion than a large spider that likes to run around very fast.

but i do feel a little guilty when i kill them biggrin but im gonna keep on killing them anyway

EDITED_BY: mrFlibble (1077566322)

Delete

Mistress Aurora

Mistress Aurora

Hot Schtuff

Total posts: 1032
Posted:I knew a person who had the same problem with silence. She didn't have a big problem with it, but it did annoy me sometimes whenever I stayed the night with her. She had to always listen to the radio. It mostly revolved around one station she loved.

I have to say that I too don't like silence. I have to leave my tv on whenever I leave the house. It feels funny walking into a quiet house. It may be the fact that when I lived with my family it was always noisy and it was so hard to find a quiet place to do my homework or just escape spank

I have a problem with people spitting or throwing up. It makes me want to throw up. Don't know if that is so much if a phobia or peeve.

The only advice I have is to make yourself sit in silence and do something like read a book. Do that in the daylight with all your windows open so you won't get freaked by the dark or anything. That's what I have to do when I read...Also because I have a hard time reading/seeing in yellow light from lamps and such. Have you done a search on the web or anything to see if there are others?

Good luck though hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Delete

Beth

Beth

Miss Whippy

Total posts: 1262
Posted:Quote:
I have a problem with people spitting or throwing up. It makes me want to throw up. Don't know if that is so much if a phobia or peeve.

I have that same problem. Anything like spit, vomit, phlegm, anything, makes me want to puke.

I dont have a phobia but i do have a sort of fear of shadows. Not like a persons shadow but shadowy corners of rooms and places like that. I have an overactive imagination so i cant help but conjure up images of scary bald men and clowns. Though i think the clowns thing might be to do with my mum reading me Stephen King's IT when i was little umm coz of this my bedroom has to be completely silent and completely pitch black for me to sleep, i cant sleep when i can see shadowy things ubbloco

peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:*Stomps foot*

Ms. Pink, nothing you do or say is stupid including whatever phobias or insecurities you may have. You are a lovely person and I will not tolerate this self degregation of such a sweetie. tongue

I'm a big believer in confronting one's fears. I do it often. I purposely volunteered to give my neighbors cat an injection every other day (while they were away) so I could get over my squeamishness of needles. Worked like a charm. After the third time I was pretty good with it... smile

There is an amazing peace within silence. Perhaps there is something else to the phobia rather than just fear of silence itself. Perhaps confronting the reason for the phobia would be more effective than confronting the phobia itself.

Either way, your phobia is not stupid. hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:i kinda like silence. ive got so much going on around me during the day time, its nice to have peace and quite in the evenings.
What i really hate is dead people. Laugh if you must but its really something I can;t cope with. Films are ok, they're just funny when you see someones head being blown off. but its the real things that really really scare me.
It got triggered by the amount of horrible pictures being sent to me through e-mail. i wasn't fased by them at first but now im scared to open an email if it has no subject, or if its like 'fw:OMFG so gross!' The last one was particulary nasty- woman who'd been in sea for long time- and the subject was 'best friend survey' i just started screaming and ran outta the room. had to get someone to come in and delete it for me. Oh, and bits of animals. In science we have to cut up bits of animals, and people think im just being an attention seeking veggie, but it really bothers me to be made to touch something that has been in something living. so yeh.....all dead things in general....

Delete

Kit

veteran

Total posts: 1269
Posted:my friend had a phobia of feet, it was quite bizzare she was ok if we had shoes on but she'd get all jittery if we took our shoes and socks off we used to put our feet on her if she was buggin us

Dont pamE shut up or we'll put our feet on you ubblol

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:For me it's spiders. Now, I'm a biologist. I've worked with mice, rats, snakes, ants, bacteria, viruses, frogs...you name it.

But I feel this horrible, panicky fear when I see a spider. Even a dead one. Phobias are, by definition, irrational.

There are ways you can treat a phobia and cure it for good. For simple phobias, such as fear of heights or fear of spiders, exposure therapy is a good, quick (a few weeks), and often permanent solution.

Get in touch with a therapist and see if something can be done. I bet the solution is a lot easier than you expect.

"Enjoy the silence." -Depeche Mode hug

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

mrFlibble

Ghostbuster

Posted:i dont want to get over my phobia of spiders, and anyone who tries to force me to be exposed to them will soon get a very hard punch. smile

Delete

Bird
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Bird

now available in "advanced"

Total posts: 6086
Posted:I took up rock climbing at school to get over my fear of heights!
It worked to a certain degree, I now have what I would consider to be " a healthy respect" for high places, I'm ok as long as I am in control of myself and know I can get down easily.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:HA! i'm with mrFlibble on this one. i had a boyfriend once pin me down and let a cricket crawl all over my chest and neck so i would get over my fear of bugs. it didn't work. it just made it worse cause i couldn't scream out of fear the cricket would jump in my mouth.

i like silence. it's soothing to me. i LOVE it when it's all foggy cause the fog mutes out everything and you get this eerie silence. all the times i find myself afraid of the silence is when my mind is acting up, thinking about scary things.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

mrFlibble

Ghostbuster

Posted:sounds like an unpleasant experiece. if anyone did that to me they'd regret it. a lot.

Delete

mrFlibble

Ghostbuster

Posted:just noticed - 5 more days till my 1 year anniversary of registering with HoP biggrin

Delete

Valura
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

Valura

Mumma Hen

Total posts: 6391
Posted:yay!!! mr flibble!
I have this amazing fear of hospitals.
I walk in and I smell that antiseptic smell and I just start to panic...
This is since the brain surgery so I dont think its a phobia but it is definatly a fear and I dont know how to get over it...
frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:go visit the nursery....that usually helps a lot of people not associate hospitals with bad stuff smile

**giggles**

Delete

Valura

Valura

Mumma Hen

Posted:oh yeah. I never thought of that. i like babys. smile
will they let a stranger into the ward?? confused

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete

Dunc

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:Quote:
i don't like bugs. they make me squirmish. i think i need to get married just to have someone there to kill the bugs for me. that's all. no other reason ubblol

Oh well that's just fiiiiiiine.

*humphs...fold arms.....sticks out tongue... tongue ...turns with palm vertically outstretched and walks out of the thread mumbling somethng about talking to the hand*

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

Dunc

Dunc

playing the days away

Posted:*walks back in remembering was supposed to be posting about phobias*

I'm not sure if i have phobias as such, I might be to logical for that, I think I'm like Bird, I have a respect for things dangerous.

I'm not scared of heights, it's the falling off I don't like. Standing on the edge no probs, thinking about not being on terra firma not so good. I'm not scared of the dark, I'm worried about what's in it I can't see! It's the same for roller coaster rides, the feeling of height and falling is a geat rush and I think I must have only been scared the first time when I was 11 cuz I can't help go back. Still the adrenaline but not through fear. Does that make me weird??

I'm not a big fan of medium sized housey-type spiders and I deffinately don't like them but i'm not scared of them (I think?!?!?!! eek) and can't bring my self to kill them, I just put them gently outside where they belong!

mmmmm....phobias are strange......and intruiging! biggrin

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:well i don't know what it's like down there in Oz but here the nursery has a window you can peer through and look at all the babies. and anyone can go as far as i know. of course i haven't gone into that section of a hospital in awhile so i'm not positive on that one. perhaps you should ask lightning bout that one since he works in a hospital and all!

Quote:
Quote:

Oh well that's just fiiiiiiine.

*humphs...fold arms.....sticks out tongue... tongue ...turns with palm vertically outstretched and walks out of the thread mumbling somethng about talking to the hand*

confused aww hunny, i'd marry you for more than just your willingness to get rid of bugs for me! ubblol

**giggles**

Delete

Looper
GOLD Member since Feb 2004

Looper

grasshopper in training

Total posts: 124
Posted:Telephones telephones telephones. Serious adreniline rush just writing that. phobias are such a mind fry... i can sort of explain why i actually feel terrified when i hear a phone ringing... but it still doesn't make sence. Trying to conquer it, my flatmates got really mad at me for a while cause the phone would be ringing and they would come out to answer it and find me sitting tensely watching it. I don't mind if know the person really well, but i can't handle detatched voices.
Pink, is it just silence inside? I mean, you can sit under a tree rig

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

Delete

Dunc

Dunc

playing the days away

Posted:now dats more like what I'm talking about....... pounce marital bliss ubblove (but absolutely no bug deaths gott it?!!) spank

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:ubblol

hunny you can do whatever you want with the bugs as long as they don't come near me and are out of the house! ubblol

**giggles**

Delete

Valura

Valura

Mumma Hen

Posted:ohhh pouncey you must watch out for the big pideys when you come over here then!! ubbrollsmile

Delete

Achluophobia
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Magical Sock Dancer

Total posts: 255
Posted:I have my own topic. tongue
sorry no advice though.

Delete

flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:I'm scared of the wet shower curtain. I can deal with it when it touches me....

I'm also moderately scared of the dark, but I'm growing out of it.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete

OrangeBobo
SILVER Member since Nov 2003

OrangeBobo

veteran

Total posts: 1389
Posted:Erm... Back to phobias.

I have a neck issue. More of a people touching my neck issue. Acutally it's just people's hands, and ropes or soemthing like that going around necks. Maybe it's a shoking, suffocation thing.. I dunno. Just talking about it, and I can feel my throat tense up.

*shudders*

The day this was realized, I was at karate, and we were doing chokes. I refused to do it, and one of the other students kept jokingly telling me I had to. In the end Bobo had a panic attack, and nearly fainted, and took an hour to calm down. My sensei was really baffled, because we were trying a strong form of meditation to calm my breathing and heart beat, and nothing worked.

Since then, I've been really sensitive to necks and choking *swallows* I remember one night, after a particualarly harsh night sleeping, I woke up, my throat killing me it hurt so bad, my hands around my throat in a choking motion and I was crying. That was an odd situation.

*swallows again*

I also freak out when I see people do neck wraps (with ropedart, poi, etc. not staff) or tell me they're gonna put a collar on me to tie me up somewhere. I do flip out.

The other odd part is that I'm really attracted to necks. Most people notice hair, or eyes, I look at necks. *shrug* T'is odd....

*gulp*

EDIT: Also, when my neck is touched, when I don't knwo it's coming, or (in karate class) I know it's intended for a strike, I flip out, and jump away. Sometimes scratch at my neck like mad, that leaves red marks which freak me out more. And it just goes down from there... ^^'

~ Bobo

EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1077588294)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Delete

Achluophobia
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Magical Sock Dancer

Total posts: 255
Posted:I've got almost the same problem with my neck man. Not as bad though. I can do neck wraps, I just find my neck to be very sensative.

Delete

Page: 12