Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Or how I learned to love asymmetrical staff.

I have recently made myself a fire Halberd on a whim. For those not up on their medieval pole arms a traditional Halberd is effectively a sword on a stick. In this case my new toy is a 6ft long 1.5 in diameter oak staff, with 8-10 inches of wicking on one end, and a 2.5 inch solid oak ball on the other.

I have really come to love playing with this prop. Not only do I get to do almost all of my staff moves, barring those which require a much shorter stick, I have the option of sliding my hand down to the butt end, where it is stopped by the attached ball, and do some very large moves indeed.

I have found that not only does this look fairly unique, it has made it easier to work on some moves in practice. Since the ends are completely different, I can more easily focus on the exact number of rotations in a particular move, as well as focusing on exactly where I enter and exit into the move as well.

I also love the weight of this massive beast, as it makes it much easier to learn many contact moves. The hardest part I had learning with a lighter tool was that it did not carry momentum well. This means that the exact entrance and exit speed are extremely delicate and important. This staff is heavy enough that I can do contact moves much slower than otherwise possible, thus feeling every nuance of the motion.

If anyone else has tried this variation on the traditional staff I would love to hear what feedback they could provide, as well as entertaining any questions that anyone else may have.

We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen F. Roberts

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
i thought a halberd is an axe meant to take the legs off a horse during a calvary charge
and at the end of the axe is a spear head for the rider............
if what youve got is a staff w\ a blade (or equivalent) its a naganita

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately the naming of many ancient weapons is a bit of a grey area. Yes many ancient Halberds were effectively pole axes. However the shape of the bladed end of these weapons varied from something closely resembling a modern axe head, through long narrow blades, to even thin sharpened spikes. All carrying the name “Halberd”.

The prop I am using does more closely resemble the Japanese Naginata, which is why it is in the title. I simply included both names for completeness/clarities sake.

We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen F. Roberts

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
sounds sick, any chance of pics or video of it in motion?

is it basically just a REALLY long torch? or is there actually blade on the end?

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
There is no blade on this prop. I have simply replaced the blade with Wicking and heat shielding. I will post some pictures and possibly video of this on my site once I get some time to have them taken. I do have a few stills of the prop itself shortly after I made it that I will try to remember to post when I get home from work today.

I would also like to mention that I love having the ball stop on the butt end of this. It allows for some very simple, but impressive looking moves.

Such as transitioning from a simple overhead palm spin which I then allow to slide out, catching the end, and spinning for a 12 ft circle of fire.

Or doing one handed figure eights over my head, holding the end making a large X of fire, again with a 12 ft span.

I have also been working on incorporating some Spear and Naginata poses and transitions for added drama.

-Stephen F. Roberts

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
lol try meteors using snake poi tied together, it makes the same effect ubbloco
but then again, not that many ppl are crazy enough to do meteors so yeas...

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
As it so happens, I do also practice with Meteors already. I tend to go with the more unusual props, Devil Sticks, fans, metoers, so on. Though right now my main focus has been on the DS which I practice during lunch at work, and the Halberd which I do when I get home.

-Stephen F. Roberts

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
having seen evildman's act in person, i must say it's got a good look to it. he's constantly evolving, never settling for good enough, and i look forward to seeing what he's come up with this next spring.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
We have made a glaive with wicking to use with the firesword.
Its heaps of fun to play with.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Frederick.
As a matter of fact, I am looking into a new perversion for next season.
I am currently testing the feasability of combining contact staff, with fire palms.
If I can get this to work out, I believe the visual effect will be, well...interesting.
Now I just need to find time to practice.

I think I need to get together with you sometime IRL, and get some stick time in.

-Stephen F. Roberts

JeunauBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
ahve you tried palm spinning that thing?? you should try it. from one end to another and catch it at the wieghted end and do something spectacular

the time has come to talk of many things of shoes and ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings.