Forums > Technical Discussion > two/three headed beaming poi?

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
has anyone tought of making this (malcolm maybe?) I really want to see ones...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I've not done multi-headed beamers, but I have, just yesterday, taken a soldering iron to mine and made them into multi coloured ones, they look awesome, hopefully I'll get some photos up soon!

biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Multi-headed beamers?? are you mad?? eek

I havent used my beamers for ages, him up there *points at Bird* broke my chains last year and i havent been bothered to fix them biggrin

I guess it would be simple enough to do by urself. If you cant actually attach a hook/clasp to the beamer itself, then you could always put the beamer in some kind of bag and attach another bag with a second beamer in to that... nothing that would distort the light much, if at all.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
not being rude.... but.... do u have a death wish?

passing through, this world still lives.

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
I've just modified my old electroglo poi, 8 superbright led's per poi, and i filled them with clear casting epoxy to make them indestructable. hopefully i'll have pics of these up soon. i made the casting resin really bubbly, so the air bubbles catch the light really well.

my other project is taking some 10 inch neon bars (the kind people put in their cars, heh, that rhymes wink ) and filling them with the same resin, im guessing that will make them tougher, but we'll see how that turns out.
-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
You'd better be really good at spinning and not hitting yourself at all at any time to risk spinning three on each arm, if you make contact with one you'll really hurt yourself never mind if you're using three...oh and you'd better have B I G muscles in your arms too cuz they ain't light!

If you gonna hook them up with bags tho I'd recommend some of the slightly soft rubber juggling balls.Like the ones at Globall dot com and IMHO they look alot nicer than beamers anyway, especially when they're spinning. And they have programable ones too that are lush when they change colour.

All the best tho and I hope you don't write back in telling us about your nasty concussion!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I agree it sounds a bit mad at first but maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. I reckon you're only ever likely to get hit by one at a time and the ones not on the end of the poi aren't going to be swinging as fast.

I agree they'll weigh a ton though and I certainly wouldn't be into chancing it.... ubbtickled

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Quote:

All the best tho and I hope you don't write back in telling us about your nasty concussion!!

are they really that painful? (mine are on their way here...)
BTW, 3 heads would weigh around 1kg, that's not alot (I think) but it might be hard to swing...

Chironback after 5 years...
35 posts

Posted:
As soon as I get my gallery I will post pics of my Luxeon Poi, they have 4 ( yes 4!) colours and are so bright they leave trails in your eyes. but for now you will have to make do with my little pic just here: <------

Wizard of LED poi !

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Quote:

are they really that painful? (mine are on their way here...)
BTW, 3 heads would weigh around 1kg, that's not alot (I think) but it might be hard to swing...

Painful? You better believe it. Theres been a few times I almost got a concussion or took out a knee.

I also dont know weather or not your figure of 1kg is correct but reguardless... The centripetal force of spinning them can multiply that weight almost 10 fold.

When it comes down to it, I wouldnt advise using 3 beamers. 2 maybe at max but 3 is too much.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
WOW CHIRON!!!!

That pic looks GREAT!! I would love to have beamers like that for myself!

I think the multiple headed beaming poi would be easy. Just use welded link chain and quicklink the beamers on wherever you want them! would be heavy as hell though!!
EDITED_BY: Big Andy (1077576115)

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
I'm waitin' for those pics too. They look killer!! biggrin

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Quote:

As soon as I get my gallery I will post pics of my Luxeon Poi, they have 4 ( yes 4!) colours and are so bright they leave trails in your eyes.

can you tell me the parts and tools I need for it?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
be very careful with one or multiple beamers
most of us with beamers have some kind of near concussion story to tell eek

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Why not make some poi with three lumps of beamer-sized concrete on ends first...if you don't split your head open, then maybe order the extra four beamers... wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Chironback after 5 years...
35 posts

Posted:
Luxeon poi are NOT easy to make, the LED's are really expensive and fragile until fitted( you need anti-static kit to handle them properly ). They also need properly calculated series resistance and heatsinking. I am just testing my first set by letting as many people use them as possible including giving them to drunk people who say "thats easy give me a go!" ( and try to break them ). So far no damage...
Hopefully my gallery should turn up soon and I will post some pictures...

Wizard of LED poi !