LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
I found some cheap kevlar cloth, but it will be gone fast!

The measurements are: 51 inches wide x 6 feet long. This material is made by Dupont. On the label inside the roll, it says "100% Kevlar 49 Trademark DP-01 Yarn STYLE -181-50 FABRIC."

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1718662390

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
*NOTE*

This is not the same as Kevlar reinforced wicking. Just FYI

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
Good call . That's true...but with this much kevlar, you wouldn't have to buy any for a long long time I bet!

I use leftover fiberglass and cut up military grade heat resistant gloves myself, so I wouldn't really know

But hey, cheap is good. This stuff is popping up on ebay all the time.

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
you also don't want pieces of it flying off and setting a forest, yourself, or someone else on fire

I wouldn't settle for lower quality for cheaper.. you would have to replace it more often, so in the end.. it prob. doesn't really matter. But thats just me

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
While there's no reason to think this is necessarily low-quality kevlar, it probably isn't appropriate for use as wicking. Before I knew what I was doing, I tried making some wicks out of the kind of kevlar that is used in composite layup (similar to what's shown in that ebay auction). Completely unacceptable results--the "wicks" (I use scare-quotes because these wicks had no wicking action) burnt out in a few seconds. Kevlar for use in wicks needs to have some loft, I believe. The stuff shown here is a flat weave.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Would the "wicking" shown here have the same affects as kevlar's resistance to burning? Possibly buy this stuff up and use a layer of something more absorbant under it? Or would the weaves of this stuff give way quickly?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't know for sure, but my gut tells me that won't work. The kevlar doesn't wick, meaning it doesn't pass fluid from one side to the other efficiently.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Should this thread not be in technical discussion?

Just a thought. Feel free to ignore me.....

Meh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
it should be known that wicking and kevlar are two different things! what is commonly called "kevlar wicking" is actually a blend of kevlar- i've even seen juggling companies make this mistake. regular kevlar doesn't work, esp. if it's a tight weave. just buy a roll of wicking with some friends and it ends up way cheaper.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
we'll take that as a yes eh C@ntus...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude