PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For all those who are insured through Clowns of the US, they have increased their rates by half again as much...going from $95 to $145!
The excuse (and I love this) is to recoup losses from the World Trade Centers Event.
How many performers were in there that were responsible for it happening?
It just completely pisses me off that people see tragedies as opportunistic times for them to rape peoples wallets!
Unfortunately, they announced this only a week or so before having to renew, so I don't have time to investigate new insurances before my shows at the end of the month. Coniving people, should be lawyers or politicians!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Bastards,, I called them like 3 days ago. It lapses on the 25th of april. And Mitzer lapses on the 1st of may... Seeing as I need coverage for that weekend they've got me pinned into payin the high prices.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I also just discovered Clowns of America (not to be confused with Clowns of the US), which also offers coverage. You need to be a member; according to their website, which may be out of date, new memberships are $35, and insurance is $90. So you can save a few rubles over Al Fellerman, though their coverage periods don't quite sync up (COAI starts July 1). I'd call them to confirm the rates.

Check out:
https://www.coai.org/
The offer online signup, which is nice.

They have exclusions on fireworks and asbestos. I'm guessing that we are not included in their exclusions, if that makes sense.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Good Lord, put another $50.00 on top of that and you have a regular policy, not just an entertainment package. In all honestly they have really shot themselves in the foot. Why would I invest in a policy underwritten by a clown association, when I can be underwritten by a company with a proven track record This is just stupid! This does put a new "spin" on things.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Maelstrom, do you have any good "regular policy" to recommend that would cover fire damage related to what we do?

Nomad

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Adam.

Nomad, general liability insurance is available through any insurance broker, simply ask what the fire coverage is. What I have come across is because they don't understand it, they don't want to insure it, which is why going to a specialized performance insurance is better.

I am working with a friend of mine who is an insurance agent to see what else can be done about this issue, or at least for opinions/insights on it.
I'll let you know what works out!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Since I saw the rate increases I have also started talking to different companies to see what can be done.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.