bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
why are they called cathedral wicks?

we've always called them consatina wicks, probably because they are... concertina shaped wink

and then when finding the slightly larger world of poi, we discovered that everybody else calls them cathedrals.. and yet i've never heard an explanation for why, other than.. 'but thats what everybody calls them'

so.

anybody know?

smileR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i thought this was going to be a thread about naming your poi.

my red socks have names, pedro and tarquin. tarquin has a hole in frown

as for cathedral wicks. no idea? sorry
peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Since I came to HOP I have noticed many naming changes and even names for moves I took for granted. Maybe it's cathedral because the wick is stacked like a tower and not wrapped arround a core. (tubecore?) Or maybee in cathedrals the inscense the swing arround is arranged the same way in the little prety ball smile.

I discovered what I was doing was Isolations not just my style. smile Others seem to agree with me about "beats" confused I guess it worksas a discriptor.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

Quote:

I'm sure I remember reading a thread here that said that the cathedral fold was named because it was used to secure valuable decorations to tapestries in cathedrals and the like. Apparently it was used because it looks reasonably good and is a right pain to undo quickly, ensuring that thieves couldn't wander around stealing everything.

Posted By TheBovrilMonkey - 21 October, 2002

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Hmm, that was quite strange, maybe something to do with the machine I was using cutting out all the time.
I thought my post was lost in the ether somewhere but I've just been proven wrong, thanks Dom smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
if you do a search on google for "cathedral fold" the only one that comes up with a proper match is HoP so I guess it's not a term that's used widely elsewhere
confused

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i just call everything by the given hop name.... everything....

hop, i have put my trust in you, so hopefully ur right!! lol

passing through, this world still lives.