Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > transitions? what the hell are those?

Login/Join to Participate

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
ok, how on earth do i go from spinning at my sides (fowards or reverse) to a weave, and vice versa. only been doing this for 3 days or so, and i can weave quite well (3 beat anyway), but keep hitting my nards when i try to go into a weave from a side spin.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
point your weave in the same direction(to the side...)
this is called wall plane.... smile

don't worry about pulling it round so it is going forwards(wheel plane)

with (hopefully wink) not much work at all, turns and transitions will come naturally over the next few hours, days weeks... depending on the time you put in smile

smiles, and welcome to the world of poi...
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Say you were spinning forward at your sides in split time. All you have to do to get into the weave is cross your right poi to the left side when it begins its downward rotation. Once its on the left side (under the left poi) you just begin the weave.

Really though, just practice the weave often (hour or two a day at least) and it will come naturally. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

Im not sure what you spin with but if you can, you might want to look into some longer heavier poi so they move slower. Long tube socks with tennis balls are good for learning with.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
Obviously this isn't helpful to you for the weave, but I think it's a good idea when you're learning new moves, to instead of learning them from stopped, always learn them from spinning at the sides, or from another move, like the weave. That way you don't develop a whole bunch of moves without learning how to move your body into them whilst spinning. That's definately how I teach the weave to people.

Joe

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the advice =]

it's coming along, a bit slower than i'd like, but i can still occationally get it going without testicular injury ;]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

Snakeymember
16 posts

Posted:
A good trick is to keep one leg in front of the other, which is easier with your whole body turned to the side. That way the weave goes from one side of your body to the other, which also means you don't have to move your hands so far from right to left as you weave. I don't have nads though so I'm not an expert, I've seen a few crumpled mistakes though and this seems the best cure.

Keep going man, you'll find a way!
Good thing to practice is turning from forward to backwards think its called low and high turn on the teaching vids.

Good luck.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Marshall
Obviously this isn't helpful to you for the weave, but I think it's a good idea when you're learning new moves, to instead of learning them from stopped, always learn them from spinning at the sides, or from another move, like the weave. That way you don't develop a whole bunch of moves without learning how to move your body into them whilst spinning. That's definately how I teach the weave to people.

Joe

Best advice I NEVER got!!!

Seriously, I figured this out AFTER being frustrated in the beginning of my poi learning. It sped my learning up 10 fold! Literally! When I started out, I learned all these moves, but I was doin good to get from one to the other. Now that I learn the transitions AS I'm learning the move, it cuts the time it takes for me to incorporate that move into my show in half!

Case in point, I spent months trying to learn the behind the back weaves from stopped/side spinning without making any real progress. Then one day, I was doing a reverse weave, and just turned around, and I was doing a forward BTB weave! I'm getting closer and closer to having the reverse btb weave as well, all in just a couple weeks (I only get to practice a little bit each day, sometimes less).

Good advice Joe!! I wish I had gotten that advice a year ago, lol.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)