• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Stonehenge Public Inquiry opens

Login/Join to Participate

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:I'd heard about various plans for Stonehenge ever since I lived in Wiltshire as a kid, but until a couple of days ago, I'd heard nothing about an inquiry.

Save Stonehenge reports that an estimated 200 people attended today's opening. It's a good site for links to the inquiry and press releases. This website explains the proposals for Stonehenge much better than I ever could, so I won't attempt it, especially as I strongly disagree with the plans. mad frown ubbcrying

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete Topic

ASTRO FAERIE
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

ASTRO FAERIE

ummmmmmm.............

Total posts: 724
Posted:It said on the news tonday that they were gonna extend the tunnel, make it up to 2miles running underneath, Makes me wonder how its going to effect the ground above really eek.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Total posts: 643
Posted:rather wish i could find an overhead map that'd show where the tunnel etc would be clearly, but can't seem to find one on there

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:There's a link to Road Alert in there, which has a clearer map.

The plans are for the A303, which already severs the Bronze Age ceremonial approach to the stones. If they go ahead, 16 archaeological monuments would be either damaged or completely destroyed, 5 of which are protected and which include earthworks, longbarrows and round barrows. The west tunnel entrance will be in a barrow cemetery.

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:that's a bugger, cos from the map it looks like a great solution that takes roads away from stonehenge!

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:Really?

Here's a map of Twyford Down (not where the arrow points). And here's a photograph of the same place.

I think there are more appropriate and feasible alternatives. Stonehenge isn't just the stone circle - it's designated as a World Heritage Site under the UNESCO World Heritage Convention. If these monuments are irrelevant, what's the point of even keeping the stone circle? confused

Interestingly, the area below Bar End Road on the north of the map was given to the people of Winchester in compensation for the loss caused by the Twyford extension. It was turned to meadow land. This same land, despite Winchester's protest, is now being turned in to a park and ride facility.

EDITED_BY: Spanner (1077128595)

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:http://www.thestonehengeproject.org
for the "offical" site

I can't see that they'll suffer much in the way of subsidence - if they can tunnel under the channel tunnel without it leaking, hills shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I think it's a great idea to return a historic piece of England into an "untouched", traffic-free area.

Plus, that roads a bitch....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:yeah - i heard about this last year and it sounded to me like they're trying to lead the roads away from stonehenge.

the only way you'll be ably to get there would be by a special bus, so no cars, and the road should go round it, unlike the one at the moment where you can pull up at the side, this way it'll look more out in the country than it does now.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:Quote:
yeah - i heard about this last year and it sounded to me like they're trying to lead the roads away from stonehenge.

If that were so, they'd be better off at least rerouting the A303 altogether to ensure it doesn't bisect the Avenue entrance, surely? confused

The Ministry of Defence owns large areas of land on Salisbury Plain. Before archaeological monuments were scheduled, the MoD allowed the military to practice there by, for example, driving tanks over the tulumni (burial mounds), so I can understand why residents feel so strongly about the "protected" area.

I can also testify that being woken up by a convoy passing your bedroom window in the early hours of the morning tends to test one's patience, let alone poor management of the traffic generated by a million tourists each year.

Winterbourne Stoke had been promised a seperate bypass - but the cost of it is now being included in those of the Stonehenge "improvements".

Wylye Valley, where I used to live (also crossed by the A303), has been crying out for a bypass for decades. In turn, they've been promised one - not that they've even decided a route! - but it has also been presumed that it will be built in time to connect with a proposed link road in Salisbury, the route of which was discovered to be of archaeological significance only late last year, and suggests remains of the earliest use of fire in Europe.

Whether intended or not, the chain goes on the more I read, the plans subject to enquiry, if completed, could have negative impacts further afield than is being currently predicted. So I'm not up for it. But I'm still interested in the ideas, this is just my view on this particular solution.

EDITED_BY: Spanner (1077243598)

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete

Durbs

Durbs

Classically British

Posted:I know "we" (The National Trust) have been critiscised over it as we're fronting up something like 250m which is a lot for a charity and our members are a bit narked about the whole thing - We don't own the stones but we do own alot of the land around them including the ruined fort I believe and several burial mounds. Also I belive the farmers are tenant farmers (i.e. they rent the land from us) so they're going to have to find a new job which is a bit harsh...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Posted:danmn, bad news all round. Well i'll definatley be publisising this one round college.

strong-bad pop up book,

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:A lack of national trust in the National Trust?

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete

WryTerra

WryTerra

The reason we say "European"

Total posts: 912
Posted:Scarily enough one of my best friends is a supervising engineer on the project! (I was berating him about it in the pub just a couple of weeks ago)

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

Delete

Narr

Narr

(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)

Total posts: 2568
Posted:im not to sure where i stand on this ... im glad they have decided on a tunnel .. but on the other hand i really dont think so much traffic (pollution) should be driving so close to such a historic and for some sacrid site ...

but im with you on twyford down ..its just a huge and horrid scar in the landscape, but i have to use it as its my main route to london frown

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Delete

trixy
BRONZE Member since Aug 2003

trixy

Total posts: 100
Posted:i am totaly against this plan. i can not believe anyone would want to spoil such an amazing place just so they can get to work faster. eek

luv trixy ubbangel

THAT'S ABOUT AS SENSIBLE AS STANDING ON A HILL, IN A THUNDER STORM, HOLDING A GOLF CLUB AND SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOICE /ALL GOD'S ARE *BASTADS* -THE GREAT TERRY PRATCHETT.

Delete

duballstar
SILVER Member since Sep 2003

duballstar

slack rating - 9.5

Total posts: 2216
Posted:to be contreversial , i do enjoy seeing stonehenge from the road for free as i drive down to the westcountry, makes me feel all spiritual.... peace

also i'd rather sit in traffic for hours as is now the case than do anything that could damadge the site or those around it anymore!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

Durbs

Durbs

Classically British

Posted:Trixy - The whole point of the tunnel project is not to aid communters. The grand overall scheme is to return the stones and the surrounding countryside into a road-free wildlife haven (mostly woodland) as it was when the stones were built.

However, as it's such an important road for communters and tourists they can't really bypass all of Salisbury plain (it's quite large) - so a tunnel was put forward as the best solution. The tunnel will act as a large exhaust pipe so there should be very little resulting pollution from the 1000's (millions?) of cars that use it. No roadside litter, no noise pollution,no clonking great piece of tarmac spoiling the area.

[edit: There will be pollution obviously - just not in the plains, just either end of the tunnel]

To get to the stones you'll have to walk (about 3 miles I believe) or take the minibus from the visitor centre.

Or at least, that's the plan...

Spanner - enough of that talk smile Plenty of trust with the Trust - I'm pleasantly surprised. For such a huuuuuuuge organisation, they still have really good aims, ideals and policy (although some of it's a bit controversial admittedly)

Plus I get to work in the best office in the world biggrin

EDITED_BY: Durbs (1077702908)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:Quote:
Trixy - The whole point of the tunnel project is not to aid communters. The grand overall scheme is to return the stones and the surrounding countryside into a road-free wildlife haven (mostly woodland) as it was when the stones were built.

However, as it's such an important road for communters and tourists they can't really bypass all of Salisbury plain (it's quite large) - so a tunnel was put forward as the best solution. The tunnel will act as a large exhaust pipe so there should be very little resulting pollution from the 1000's (millions?) of cars that use it. No roadside litter, no noise pollution,no clonking great piece of tarmac spoiling the area.
[edit: There will be pollution obviously - just not in the plains, just either end of the tunnel]

That's wot I thought... seemed a good thing - and while the anti-tunnel people point out what else would be damaged if it was built, what other solution would they suggest instead?

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Kit

veteran

Total posts: 1269
Posted:just as an aside, i remember going to visit the mighty stonehenge when i was younger it was gonna cost 15 just to walk along a caged path miles away from the stones, everyone acts like they're gonna collapse at the slightest breath of wind you guys should take a trip up to Orkney where we have our own stone circle and you can touch it run around it (nekkid if you please) all for free!

yeah its an old historic monument but its been there for millenia i doubt theyre gonna topple from a touch!

in orkney you get to touch the stones Feel them i remember pretending to bea fairy feeling they're life force! (i was 12)

whats the big scare in stonehenge?

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:Fair play Durbs, I was probably thinking of English Heritage as I often get the two confused smile

Well, how about light rail? It would have to go over the plain, with less disruption, on old lines, most of which are still viable. I'm not at all convinced, knowing the scale of the plans, that road traffic noise will not be heard from the stones with the tunnel and also the traffic on the core site is predicted to be made up of as much as 20% of visitors.

Subject to the plans, if pushed, I would possibly tolerate a long bored tunnel, especially so if it would be flexible towards the long term, which is one of my main concerns.

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:How would the tunnel be flexible towards the long term? umm i think i'm just not getting whatcha mean

and light rail? confused i'm confused cos i'm sure you won't have forgotten the cars but i'm not sure where you're wanting them to go...

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:It's a compromise. Although the physical length could enable a fair negotiation around the monuments, the flexibility would stem not so much from that as from their assessment in a wider context, which I'd hope would be a priority for such a project. The light rail plan would probably not work alone but could effectively resolve many problems in conjunction with sensible management of traffic not intending to stop at Stonehenge.

If there's anything more about Stonehenge we should know about, any redevelopment should take into account the importance of maintaining our future chances of making these priceless discoveries. Even one of the stones is seperated from the site by the road - do such practices become less relevant when underground? smile

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Posted:i'm inclined to agree that it's a good thing.

sometimes i really with i could just sit near it for the energy and stuff. I don't need to always go up and touch them, just being around them with no traffic would be good.

Also - you can actually go right up to them, i once wrote the the lookey after person and booked to do a ritual there over night. You have to sign a disclaimer and stuff and then you can do it properly. They don't advertise this for obvious reasons, but it's possible.

strong-bad pop up book,

Delete

Durbs

Durbs

Classically British

Posted:Oooooh, I just got an e-mail circulation from NT project director of the Stonehenge Project.
I (obviously) can't put it up here as I'd be fired but I'll outline the points (I think I can do this, it is a public inquiry after all)

Current Objections:
~ 2.1km tunnel isn't long enough "to guarantee the integrity of this iconic site"
~ Concerns about location of tunnel entrances on archaeologically and visually sensitive ridgelines
~ The Avenue would still be severed by A303 by Highway Agencies proposal

Overall Aims:
~ Longer tunnel to preserve spirit of place
~ Move tunnel sufficiently to leave The Avenue intact so visitors can walk up it to approach the stones.

Jolly good ideas methinks - I like my employers biggrin ubblove

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

Spanner

Spanner

Posted:Yes, those overall aims are particularly reassuring smile Cheers for the update beerchug

you are nice woman.

yay,

Delete