Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So today I went and got HIV testing and it made me think of how many young people who are at risk (even low risk) don't know their HIV status.

I want to encourage everyone here to get tested. Education and knowledge of status are our most powerful weapon to date in slowing and, perhaps even stopping, the spread of HIV/AIDS.

If you live in the US, go to www.hivtest.org to find out about free, anonymous HIV testing near you. The services are ANONYMOUS, which means that they are done by first name only and there is no possible way that your results (or even the fact that you ever had a test) could ever be linked to your medical, employment, or insurance records.

If you're squeamish about needles, a new test called "Orasure" is available at many testing centers. It involves a swab taken of from the inside of the mouth that looks for so-called IgA antibodies against HIV. No needles. Some centers may charge a small fee for this service (US$10 or less, in most cases).

For those in other countries, contact your doctor's office and ask them for information, or do a web search.

Please go get tested. It only takes a few minutes, and it makes a world of difference in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
yay! good post lighting. i know my status. smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
That's a great post and thanks for the info. Testing is really important. But it's also important to know that HIV is not something you need to freak out about. The media makes us feel that it ruins your life and we should all be afraid. This does not have to be the case. Of course it's a serious disease and needs to be treated accordingly. But it's not a cause for panic - or discrimination - like the ads want us to believe.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I like going to my gynecologist and declaring: "Test me for everything. Yep, everything you can think of." They do the swabbing and bloodletting, and I go home happy and wait for my postcard of joy.

E pluribus unum, baby.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Regyt, the only problem with getting tested at your doctor's in the U.S. is that the fact that you got tested is part of your medical records, and insurance companies have been known to hold that against people by reasoning that if you're getting tested a lot, you must be high-risk.

That's why I recommend anonymous testing.

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yup, I know MY status. biggrin

You rock Lightning. Keep up the good work.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
i know my status as well. good thinking on this thread lightning

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I got tested at an anonymous testing center at school a while back. I heard lately that they've had to fight to keep that service, some conservative group doesn't think a public university should have such sex related resources apparantly.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
maybe i'm being dumb here, but if noone in my family is +ve and i've never slept with anyonw who was +ve then how could i be?

do i really need to get tested?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

maybe i'm being dumb here, but if noone in my family is +ve and i've never slept with anyonw who was +ve then how could i be?

do i really need to get tested?

that is dangerous logic - mainly because you don't know if everyone you slept with was safe. Even if they were just tested, it can still take several months after exposure for test results to come up positive in an infected person.

Actually, I have been wondering about that point and perhaps Lightning can clear it up for me. Do the newer tests have the same time lag problem HIV tests used to have?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
FrostyPaw is exactly right! If you've ever had sexual contact with another human being, then you are at risk. By sexual contact, I mean any part of your body touching their genitals or vice-versa. (I wear gloves when I examine patients' genitalia because I assume that all patients are HIV+ or infected with something else I don't want (herpes, etc.).

Besides, I'm asking people here to join a movement of young people who can stand up and say: I know MY status!

And admittedly, I don't know my status right now, but I will on March 2. My last test was in June and I know my status from then.

Stay safer, everyone.

weavesmiley

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Van, to answer your question, the "lag time" is a function of the human immune system's delay in developing IgG and IgA antibodies against HIV, which takes a couple weeks, minimum, and six months, maximum. In general, by one month after exposure, you should seroconvert (meaning demonstrate antibodies), but it can take as long as six months in theory.

-Mike

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ok, i just did a google and it came up with loads of home hiv testing diy jobbies,

i'm assuming this is a very bad route to take - am i right?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

everyone should get checked and everyone should disclose their status.... ....cos if everyone did then this disease could be wiped out in a year, if not then chances are one day everyone will have it.

That's a little over exagerated. Seeing as a lot of folk can have it for a good 10+ years with medication before it turns into Aids I doubt it would be eradicated within a year. Accidents happen, like you say peircings, tattoo's, injury, blood transfusions etc etc. If you know your status it doesn't stop the risk of being infected accidentally...and that happens to this day and all you can do is try to prevent your risks where ever possible.

Get tested and keep getting tested. There's no cure so erradication is impossible unless every person who has it is found and contained till the day they die but of course that's out of the question as we are humane (allegedly).

Scare mongering should be put to pay on this too, honest education of the facts and risks of contamination is what's required, there's a lot of nasty deseases out there far worse than Aids that have no cure and what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Like Regyt said, go and get tested for everything.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya you never know. there was a case (and sorry to scare people about this, but it did happen) here in the States about a dentist who was HIV+ and accidentally infected some of his patients by an accidental needle prick. it's not just tattoos and piercings, it's anything where you might have an exchange of fluids (we're not talking kissing here with the exception of open sores/blood).

that being said, don't freak out. ya it's a scary disease, but if you freak out, you're more likely to start acting negatively towards people with HIV and just cause yourself unnecessary stress anyhow. the rate of infection is actually incredibly small, and i have the exact figures at home, so as soon as i go home i'll post them. but even with a needle prick (highest risk), it's like under 2% or something like that.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I had a patient who was having unprotected sex with her (unbeknownst to her) HIV+ partner for one year.

It's been two years and she has never tested positive, nor has she ever had any symptoms of AIDS.

Please don't misinterpret me as saying that it's OK to have unprotected sex because the risk of transmission is low. I just thought it was an interesting case.

-Mike

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
Quote:

that being said, don't freak out. ya it's a scary disease, but if you freak out, you're more likely to start acting negatively towards people with HIV and just cause yourself unnecessary stress anyhow.

I agree that people shouldn't freak out about HIV or any other STD and that people should not act negatively towards people who have those diseases. Not everyone who contracts something is 'dirty' or a 'slut' like some would like to believe. There are perfectly normal, cautious people out there who contract a disease through no fault of their own from a partner cheating on them or an exchange of bodily fluids. There are also people who make a mistake once and pay for it the rest of their lives. The ones who attempt to hide it from their sexual partners and their doctor deserve to be slapped. But I can almost understand why they hide it because those people who are responsible about it and tell others so that proper precautions can be taken are then treated like lepers. The world would be a much better place if these diseases just disappeared, but since that's not likely to happen anytime soon, I'll settle for people just being a lot more aware of the diseases and not condemning people who have contracted them.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to bump this thread and say..

I know my status! cool

weavesmiley

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"I do the round-about AIDS test. I ask my friend Brian if he knows anyone who has AIDS. When he says no, I say 'COOL'... cuz you know me." -Mitch Hedberg

No, No... bad role model. Go get tested for real people. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think this is a great thread and thanks to all who are responding intelligently and passionately!

I learned a looooong time ago that getting tested displays a respect and caring not only for yourself but for others. Because of that, everytime I switch "partners" (and because of who I am, it is not frequently) I have insisted we both be tested for..well, whatever, first. You can get anonymous testing for other STD's as well. Local Planned Parenthood's and Family Clinics can help with that.

Or you can get into an accident, have them screen your blood and the insurance company will never know about the devious plan to avert their monitors and be tested! Mwahahahahaha! ubbloco

Testing is a show of dedication to me, of caring enough about the other person to talk about it and follow through.

I know my status! biggrin... And that of my partner!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Good thread Lightening. I don't know my status, and I know i really should go and find out.

I would like to post on this (sorry didn't read all messages, I am at work) that if anyone hasn't seen it, watch

Kids (by Larry Clark)

it's a great film and it really touched a nerve with myself and all the people i have subsequently shown in to. Having seen that film i've not had unprotected sex since. If anyone out there hasn't seen it, watch it.

Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

D3kazermember
3 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Regyt, the only problem with getting tested at your doctor's in the U.S. is that the fact that you got tested is part of your medical records, and insurance companies have been known to hold that against people by reasoning that if you're getting tested a lot, you must be high-risk.

That's why I recommend anonymous testing.

I know my status biggrin

Also for peeps in the UK the best way of getting anon testing is to go to your local GUM clinic where the results don't go on your medical records.

Game on Lightning, round of applause xxx

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tip, Kazer! Hear that, UK folks? Get tested!

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I would like to post on this (sorry didn't read all messages, I am at work) that if anyone hasn't seen it, watch

Kids (by Larry Clark)

it's a great film and it really touched a nerve with myself and all the people i have subsequently shown in to. Having seen that film i've not had unprotected sex since. If anyone out there hasn't seen it, watch it.

Hex

i agree. that movie made me absolutely sick and altered my reality. it's incredibly disturbing but one of those movies you really need to see.

along those similar lines...i'd recommend Rules of Attraction. really makes you rethink some things.

**giggles**

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Kids (by Larry Clark)

Several years ago we would have these movie parties.. one night we watched Kids, It's My Party (another good one about AIDS), and then If These Walls Could Talk 1. I've never watched any of those movies again, but I have never forgotten them either!

Kids, done docudrama style, is really disturbing but is also rivetting. Definately makes you stop..breathing...for a bit. And did you just want to smack that punk-arsed kid up from the get go? I did.
Good call on that Hex!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ok Lightning, you (and my new girlfriend too I suppose) inspired me to go get tested a couple days ago.

result in this morning: Negative! ubbrollsmile

< vanize does happy dance even though he knew there was no cause for concern all along because he is super paranoid about stuff like that >

-v-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yay!!!!

Ok, who's the new girl? umm

-Mike

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
er... I'll PM you about that one.

-v-

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
great thread.

i need to get tested *hope my parents don't find this thread*

i had a one night stand after a rave last month, and i've been wanting to get checked, but my mom's a nurse, my dad works for a doctor's office, and everyone knows me in this town. guess i'll have to ferry off to reno monday.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What part of "free and anonymous" is confusing you, Thor? spank

Go to www.hivtest.org and find a spot. If your parents find out you got tested, you can have the counselor you saw fired.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, I know MY status!

biggrin

(Bumpety-bump bump!)

-Mike