Forums > Social Chat > Why do we do these things?

Login/Join to Participate

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Just out of interest, why do you think we decide to learn these arts?.
Is it for sheer enjoyment or for expanding your abilities, or both.
Is it for sheer self-satisfaction, or to impress others.
I suppose its different for each person, but i just wondered, because as much as i really enjoy these arts, im not sure what actually drives us to learn them.
Sorry if this sounds like a ramble. biggrin

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
all of the above and more?

Art, exercise, self-expression, entertainment for me and for others, and the list goes on ad infinitum.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Mostly Art and Self Expression for me. ubblove

I got into the Fire Arts by a good friend who taught me, my two sisters when we graduated High School. The Gift of Fire was by far the best Graduation Gift I recieved. Mel came home from Nepal in April, Made us a set of Practice Fire Poi, and we learned from eachother for a month and a 1/2. Got some Partner moves down and good solid Basic moves , then lit up on Graduation Night at the Senior Party!

I am a Double Fire Sign Aries with Leo rising, I guess thats why I was the only one out of us all who stuck with the Fire Dance(Funny being the only Boy out of 3 girls ubblol )

I find myself being more of a Fire / Water person and not much of an Air / Earth anyway. tongue

Good subject! wink

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I suppose for me it must be self-expression mostly, and i do get a lot of satisfaction why i learn new moves.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I do it for the focus and the meditation. I t helps me to focus on evrey day things and it also helps me to find that place between me and myself. The place where i feel i can comunicate with my inner being. When i spin,It's like the poi aren't even there,just me and my self. That and the fact that it is also a big stress releiver for me.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The first time I seen firepoi done was amazing and I felt the need to learn. I was driven in the first few weeks to spin constantly and soon disovered this site. I came to poi through a friends death and so in a way its almost a way of remembering Nick too.

Poi have given me a way to celebrate and destress. weavesmiley

Now poi has bought me many new friends and soon I hope to meet a few of these friends in person!!!

hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
well it's something nice to look at ain't it!!

But now I ontinue to do it cuz I love it and cuz all you guys make the whole community feel alive in a way I didn't even know existed hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
I didn't choose poi, poi chose me!
There's so many reasons...
1) pure addiction
2) THAT feeling when you finally bust out a trick you've been trying to get for ages
3) everyone involved with poi seem to be the nicest, funniest, chilled people I've met
4) the attention hehehe

peace wave

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ive never really analysed why i dont it and for that matter i dont really want to. however i do find it fun and relaxing. sometimes when im stressed i just go and have a spin

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
I do it for the art, the self-expression, and out of the pure love for fire!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i just can't help dancing, so it's perfect when there's music going, it's like the best dance ever.

i love to move my body and forget there's anyone else there, it's pretty meditative i suppose. redface

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think my main reason is that i love learning.

juggling/poi/object manipulation in general not only stimulates the mind (when you try to understand and learn new tricks as well as when you are being creative and 'inventing' new things for yourself) but also the body too.

the thing that attracts me to poi and to a larger extent, juggling is that there is always going to be something in these arts that i cannot do yet - there will always be something to learn.

i think it also extends from my general appreciation of body movement and expression, exemplified for me in the disciplines of boxing, skating, dancing and snowboarding.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
I got into poi because my brother was doing it. And I want to do everything he does. biggrin

I've stayed with it because it's hard and scary. I didn't know anyone in my local fire spinning community (or here for that matter) - so showing up solo has been a huge challenge. Much harder than learning moves. Now I'm making friends and that's been a fun achievment.

But there's also the fear of fire itself, not to mention being on stage (in one way or another). I'd love to be a performer.

Plus it's fun. ubbrollsmile

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
Well, I used to be scared of fire... then again, I used to be SOOO modest, too, and I got over That! I first saw poi with tails, and it looked easy 'til I tried it. I guess I like the challenge, and I sure like watching fire! And, the hotties who play with it... hmm, maybe I'll get me one...

take the schneak-tip