Page:
MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I'm tired, sad and fed up so please don't mind me ranting and raving.

I don't really expect anything from doing this but I really need to get his off my chest.

Most people who know me know that I have some health issues that won't go away.

My asthma is severe and though it is relatively under control it constantly gives me lung infections that I have to fight off. I have been on and off cortisone and/or prednisone for the past 10 years (I got asthma when I was 13).

I also have a cleft lip and partial palate (fistula) which has of course not helped when it comes to problems with my lungs and nose.

I suffer chronic hayfever and sinusitis and constantly have infections in my nasal passages.

I can't remember that last day I woke up and actually felt healthy.

My general day starts with myself buried in a tissue box feeling sore and sorry for myself.

I have tried all types of medications to cure my sinuses of the problem...both over the counter and on prescription. I have also had the sinus drain operation, which I might say was painful both physically and money wise.

With all the steriods I am on my body is tired and run down...I am so tired of being sick every day that I am grumpy and snapping at everyone or just being extremely anti social.

At the moment it is summer here in Australia and my sinuses are running overtime giving me hell.

You know what I am really sick of though....these people who come in and talk to me and say they have hayfever and how depressed they are....WHAT THE F***??? I get it EVERY F***ING DAY of my life...and they are complaining because they get it for one day in a month.

I'm so sorry for going off like this.

I am tired...I just want to go home, curl into a tight little ball and cry myself to sleep and never wake up.

I want to know what it is like to feel healthy again without having to pay over $200 in medical bills every month.

Again I am sorry for the ranting....

ubbcrying

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Its ok, you can sob on my sholder, I didn't like this shirt anyway.

Have you tryed a Netti pot or eucaliptus steem to clear your sinuses? I have alot of alergys and get Sinus infucktions every year(doesn't compare it sounds), but it use to be allot worse before I used steem and Netti pot. You can also use an old Naisl squert bottle, and put a Sea Salt selution in it to clear up your Sinuses. the salt will help, but it stings a bit. the netti pot feels as if you are drownning at first, but will help in the long run as well.

Good Luck my friend, hug hug hug
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Fitria I feel for you. You put forth so much positve energy that you are a pleasure to be around.

Take care of yourself darl. hug hug hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Stupid me is allergic to Eucalyptus...(yes I understand how screwy that is being Australian and all....)

What exactly is Netti Pot???

Salt water has been tried but because of the hole in my mouth (fistula) the sprays by pass where they are supposed to go and end up in my mouth...which I must say is one of the most unpleasant tastes in the mouth.

I would like to know more about Netti pot though.....

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

I really don't know what to say except...

hug hug hug hug hug

Come out with us Saturday and we'll cheer you up!! biggrin
Plus it also looks like Andrea has a paying fire job for you if interested next weekend? About 8 (so far?) of us are doing it! beerchug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I am tired...I just want to go home, curl into a tight little ball and cry myself to sleep and never wake up.

Fitria. know what that feels like, I know what it's like to feel that your neverging to be normal again. Wanting to go to sleep and never wake up: I must feel that way at least 3 times a week.

I hope you feel better soon hug hug

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Fi, firstly *huggles* hug I know it won't help physically but I hope it's turns your frown a little upside down!

I've suffered from Chronic Hayfever since I was about 2 or 3 years old, not every day of the year but pretty much guaranteed from Early-Mid April through till end of Septmeber. Tree, grass, flower pollen...you name it, I'm allergic to it!
It was so bad I could hardly breathe, my eyes used to swell so much I could barely see and I used to just lye down all day with wet cotton wool on my eyes trying to reduce the itching and swelling. Not much fun during school summer hols as I'm sure you know!

I tried everything, from triludan (which turned out to have a lot of rather nasty side effects I was lucky enough to avoid!) through to asthmas treatments and nothing ever worked.
But I realised that my doctors were only ever treating the symptoms and not the cause, so I moved into homeopathic remedies and can now say that I only suffer severe bouts for a couple weeks a year when the rape seed is out.

Although during the first year, the new pills I tried didn't do much cuz I only started them in the middle of the season so the next year I took a whole packet about a month before it was about to start to build up my system and then more once it kicked off. The difference to me, as I'm sure you can appreciate, was nothing short of amazing. From 6 months a year of severe attacks down to two weeks!

I know it's different floats for different boats and it wouldn't help your lung problems directly but if you can find (of course unless you've already tried it!) Nelsons Pollena (Nelsons do a whole host of homeopathic medicines and most seem pretty fine) in a health food or natural remedies shop I'd recommend it to help your nasal allergies and bring some relief to your other problems.

All the best, my heart goes out to you. From someone who can appreciate what it's like to be completely immobilised physically and visually from allergies based around the sinuses I share some of your pain and hope you can find something to help sort it all out.

*Bug runs off to happy place to send positive non-allergenic vibes all the way to Fiona in Oz* kiss

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
A girl I worked with suffered dreadfully from sinusitis and sinus drain did not work for her either, she ended up making her husband move to France with her as she was convinced London was having an effect. Changing the country you live in is rather drastic tho.

I second Custom Bugs suggestion that you check out homeopathic remedies and also changing your diet might help.

Sounds what you need most tho is a cuppa and warm hugs and support hug hug hug Hope you feel better soon.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
This may sound nieve... but I was having hay fever problems everyday and I felt aweful and depressed all the time... and then (even though this is rare) I cut dairy and gluten out of my diet, and no joke... I rarely sneeze now that I've done that. The doctors just said that I was allergic to dust... but also, those everyday things that you consume without aweareness really effected my body. I finally realised what is means to really be healthy!

I'm not saying you have to do this, but it is worth cutting things out of your diet to see if you feel any better. Some foods just don't mix with certain bodies. Just an idea... That may help the hay fever... but with your asthma and other painful illnesses I don't know what to recommend. I truly wish you all the best.

Good luck beautiful girl and I send you health, and happy vibes on the backs of little chirping birds... from my heart to yours. hug

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Eugh!! Who found out this works?!?!?!?!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I wish I could just rip out my Sinuses!!!! Stick a Spoon up there and scoop it all out of there, damn it! ubbcrying

A Netti Pot looks like a small jienni lamp (sp) you put a warm salt water saloution into it and pour it into one nostrel, leting the water up your nose into your sinuses and out the other nostrel. It is hard at first to let the water up and in(you need to relax), I always feel like i am drowning at first, and I never really liked water up my nose, but this works well. winkafter a faw times you will see a diffrence. I get a bit of water in my mouth too and I agree it tasts Nasty( I could never be a surfer ubblol) You can get a netti pot at most natural food stores. I suggest using the salt that comes with it, or fine sea salt. I hope it works for you. frown

There are alot of books out there and Most of them will be in the Natural heath food stores. I hate Post nasle drip (Snott sludge down the throut) and I can Never get rid of that! I feel ya babe!

With the steem, you don't need to use Eucaliptus, just steem will help, and its good for your skin as well. All you need to do is boil some water, put a towle over your head (to catch the steem and sit over the pot breathing through your nose. (watch out it is very hot and you can burn yourself with the steem.) You can also put alot of diffrent things in the water to open up your sinuses... I can't think of anything though off hand. confused

Well Good luck, I hope any of this may help.

Your friend ~Fire Spirit weavesmiley

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug and one of these for Valentines day kiss

Have you tried yoga? It might not sound logical but it really could help - calm the mind, get the energy flowing differently. Not to mention pranayama (specific breathing exercises that can have a huge impact on breathing/lung issues).

Perth eh? I lived there for a while....there's a *great* school on Queen Street. Can't remember what it's called. It's on the right as you're walking down the hill - you can't miss the sign. If you go definitely ask for Damon and tell him Erin from New York said hello. wink

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Being a young person with a chronic disease sucks.

And until you've been one, you can't even begin to imagine it. You never know if your body is going to cooperate with you on a given day, whether you'll die of some horrible illness within the next year, whether you'll suffer permanent disability from it or whether it will follow a benign course, etc.

It sucks. ubbcrying

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Fi, we love you. Just remember that.

hug hug hug hug

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Sometimes I wish I could just rip out my Sinuses!!!! Stick a Spoon up there and scoop it all out of there, damn it! ubbcrying

...With the steem, you don't need to use Eucaliptus, just steem will help, and its good for your skin as well. All you need to do is boil some water, put a towle over your head (to catch the steem and sit over the pot breathing through your nose. (watch out it is very hot and you can burn yourself with the steem.) You can also put alot of diffrent things in the water to open up your sinuses... I can't think of anything though off hand. confused

Menthol crystals do the job.

A lot of my colds get into my sinus's; thankfully It's not a constant thing like Medusa has, but it's nasty while it lasts.

A few years back I met someone who has the same problem and he gave me a small bottle of menthol crystals, told me how to do the steam thing, and warned me that they were pretty potent!

It really helps, I'm not sure if it clears up the infection any quicker, but it means you can get some periods of relief from the clogged up misery and get some air into the nasel cavities.

Concerning the drugs thing, and I know this is going to be controversial with some, but if there's any way to stop using them I'd look into it.

Using pharmacuticals on a dialy basis could well ensure that the condition is permanent. For example, someone who continually takes antibiotics will tend to be ill all the time as it will weaken their immune system.

I suspect that one of the factors involved in cases where people get into alternative therapies like homeopathy is because they cut down or stop taking the conventional medicines that may have been sustaining the illness.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Hear, Hear beerchug beerchug
Thanks Ill try that, however does the Menthal crystals have Eucaliptus in it?
Hope all this helps hug
~FS

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Using pharmacuticals on a dialy basis could well ensure that the condition is permanent. For example, someone who continually takes antibiotics will tend to be ill all the time as it will weaken their immune system.

You know, if you're going to make a claim like that, I'd appreciate it if you could provide support for it from the scientific literature.

Just throwing out broad claims like that is a really dangerous thing to do. But I'm not going to dispute it, I just want you to prove a claim like this.

Which drugs are you talking about? Where is the evidence that antibiotics make people sicker than not using them?

-Mike

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

You know, if you're going to make a claim like that, I'd appreciate it if you could provide support for it from the scientific literature.

Just throwing out broad claims like that is a really dangerous thing to do. But I'm not going to dispute it, I just want you to prove a claim like this.

Which drugs are you talking about? Where is the evidence that antibiotics make people sicker than not using them?

If you're asking for well researched double-blind scientific studies, as I've pointed out on numerous occasions, due to the fact the there is no profit potential in proving the claims of alternative therapies, such research is not done.

As for antibiotics, I didn't mean that they make people sicker, I meant that when used on a regular basis that they can lead to weakening of the immune system, which in turn can lead to sickness.

I can't quote studies that prove that, but other negative effects of antibiotic abuse are well known, such as the fact that disease agents tend to become resistent to them.

Concerning my point above about why it is unrealistic and innapropriate to expect alternative therapies to be 'proven' in the way that conventional treatments are; like I said I've posted this saveral times so it would be good if you could address it, then I can give an answer geared to the specific points that may concern you.

For me, the important thing is experience, and my personal experience of conventional medicine is that it fails to effectivly address the issue of health. It has its uses, and I personally have recieved the benefits, then again there are times when I've refused treatment, and benefitted from doing so.

Looking back on people I know who have health issues, the ones who actively try to minimise use of conventional medicine (not necessarily to not use it at all) seem to fare considerably better than those who succumb to the immense cultural pressure to do exactly what the medical profession tells them.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If you're asking for well researched double-blind scientific studies, as I've pointed out on numerous occasions, due to the fact the there is no profit potential in proving the claims of alternative therapies, such research is not done.

As for antibiotics, I didn't mean that they make people sicker, I meant that when used on a regular basis that they can lead to weakening of the immune system, which in turn can lead to sickness.

It's a commonly held belief that the medical field is not interested in Comlplimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) because there's no profit in it. I find this to be an interesting claim, seeing how many billions of dollars American patients spend on herbs and supplements each year. Furthermore, most doctors are sick and tired of the drug companies at this point.

Furthermore, antibiotics have no effect on the immune system whatsoever. Again, I'd love to see a study showing that antibiotics cause a decreased immune response to challenge with a novel antigen. It is true that some antibiotics can have some side-effects, but this is not one of them.

All I'm saying is that making broad, sweeping claims like this is a very dangerous thing to do. I see a lot of well-meaning people do this, but it's a very dangerous thing to do because a lot of people then repeat what you've said as if it's gospel.

-Mike

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I'm sure the money from herbal remedies is nowhere near the quantities involved in pharmacutical profits.

Also remember that many alternative therapies don't involve the use of saleable substances e.g. Tai Chi. Some are based on eradicating the kind of negative thinking which can lead directly (debateable I know) or indirectly (pretty much scientifically established now) to ill health.

Studies are done on these, but they have to compete for attention with the latest drug being pushed by a host of pharmacutical companies.

I don't believe the word 'pushed' is inapropriate here; I used to know a pharmacutical representative and he was a salesman in the fullest sense of the word; using every promotional glossy aid availble to get his product used by doctors- he was even taking them out to dinner and playing golf with them!

You know how incredibly busy doctors are, is it realistically feasible for them to be following studies on 'smile therapy' etc?

Concerning antibiotics,a quick search has turned these up: -

https://immunedisorders.homestead.com/antibiotics.html

https://www.absolutehealth.org/im-antibiotics-immune.html
(chickens I know, but it's relevant)

I know they're only web pages and anyone can claim anything. So, before we go further I'm wondering whether you agree with the following: -

1. antibiotics attack 'good bacteria' in the body, as well as the 'bad bacteria' they are aimed at

2. antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains have developed as a result of over use of bacteria, and are a major problem.

Lastly, I agree that broad sweeping claims can be dangerous if not questioned; all I am trying to do, and all I have ever tried to do is maintain equality between conventional medicine and alternatives.

Specifically, when it was posted on another thread that alternative cancer treatments were dodgy because some patients using them died, I was keen to point out that people using conventional cancer treatments also died.

So here, whilst agreeing that there are broad sweeping claims for alternative therapies, and there are even blatently false claims; I am pointing out that the same is true for conventional medicine.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Antibiotics do NOT weaken your immune system.

If taken properly, and over the entire course of anitbiotics, they will almost always kill every last one of the bugs they are aimed at and you get better.

If you do not take the entire course, then the weakened bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotic as they suffer a hit but can then recover.

This strain of bug can then be passed on to others, who may be prescribed some other antibiotics, and not take the full course etc etc.

The improper use of antibiotics doesn't weaken your immune system, it STRENGTHENS the bug's resistance!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
In the past 3 years I have had more shots 90% of em antibiotics than I can count. I have yet to feel ill or well... be sick ever in the past 3 years. I've even done some vaccines and have had no problems including small pox and anthrax.

I also know people who take suppliments on a reguler basis, I for one take a one a day multivitamin and extra calcium and potassium, my Sgt spends over $300 US a month on suppliments. There is a huge market for alternative medicines and what not... while granted the pharmisutical market is huge in it's own right... dont underestimate the alternative medicines.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Bettiemember
2 posts

Posted:
I had Asthma consistently from age 4 to about 16. I was also fed up with taking medication and thought there must be a better way. I stumbled on a chinese herbal remedy from the Chemist which I bought to improve my memory before exam time when I was 16. And low and behold my Asthma symptoms started reducing. Interesting. Then I went to an acupuncturist at my local medical centre for a massage (was scared of needles) to help my sore back from too much sport. The Acupuncturists said acupuncture may help with the asthma so I gave in and had acupunture too. And over a few months I weaned off my asthma medication and didn't need antibiotics which I had been taking at least twice a year since I was 6!!
I've since learnt more about Chinese Medicine and it ROCKS! Chin Med seems to have a fantastic understanding about temperature and how it affects the body as well as other really logical steps to creating wellness. The herbal remedies have been researched in china for over a couple of thousand years. They have been tested recently in many Universites and have active constituents that work like modern Pharmaceuticals (of course modern drugs were modelled on herbal remedies from the past).
Best bet is to go and chat with a Qualified Chinese Medical practitioner because the herbs are a form of medicine and need to be matched to your particular pattern of diagnosis. Raw herbs can taste yuk but they really have fast results. If you're a bit squimish, there are pill forms aswell.
Diet helps big time incase there are allergens in the foods.
Also I think anitbiotics cause a problem with long term use because they have to be processed by the liver as do most things. Fair enough if your body is squeaky clean, but if your system contains a number of medications which are usually synthetic and then you eat tonnes of additves in food and then types of normal food which produces high toxins or just have components that have to be broken down by the liver and drink heaps of alcohol and any other forms of drugs ..........
then your liver is not going to cope. Chemicals can have a long half-life. Things get recycled and aggravate other parts and can in fact create allergies....
Phew!

Interesting fact: a listed side effect for panadol (pain relief) is a headache!
Self inflicted syndrome.

Sorry this is a long one!

Anyway that's my essay for everyone....trying not to be a sweeping claim just an opinion
thanks for your time.....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

In the past 3 years I have had more shots 90% of em antibiotics than I can count. I have yet to feel ill or well... be sick ever in the past 3 years. I've even done some vaccines and have had no problems including small pox and anthrax.

Ray, you got the smallpox vax? How did that go for you? How long did the sore stay there?

As far as supplements go, I have an autoimmune condition called ankylosing spondylitis, which, to dumb it down, is basically like a rheumatoid arthritis of the spine. It attacks the vertebrae and causes them to sclerose and grow together, causing a bony fusion of the vertebrae. I have yet to fuse and it seems like my disease is mild. Still, I have to take indomethacin (an anti-inflammatory drug) every day.

However, six weeks ago, I started taking a fish oil supplement. I researched it well to determine the dosage (these little fish oil pills that you can buy at the store have 500mg to 1000mg...but the proper dose is 12-15 g, so you'd have to take between 12 and 24 of those little pills a day in order to get the proper dose!). In the last two weeks, I've felt so great, it's as if I was on Prednisone (which makes you feel wonderful at first).

The idea is that the omega-3 fatty acids that are found in fish oil serve to shunt fatty acids away from the prostaglandin synthesis pathway. Since prostaglandins are a major part of the inflammatory process, shunting substrates away from the synthetic pathway will serve as a general anti-inflammatory.

And so far, it's been working. So there is a basis for the use of CAM in medicine. There is a strong bias against it in medicine, I will agree. However, some of us are interested.

Having said that, the pharmaceutical drugs, are by and large, safe and effective in treating what they claim to treat. It is perfectly acceptable to research and properly apply a CAM intervention into a treatment plan, but not at the expense of proven medical therapies that have been demonstrated to reduce the long-term morbidity and mortality of a given disorder.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, and about the drug reps thing: there is a new trend. The University of Michigan has banned drug sales reps from making appointments to speak with physicians without pre-approval by the ethics committee. Furthermore, UofM physicians are not to accept ANY gifts from pharmaceutical reps, including trinkets like pens and note pads. That also extends to free drug samples (a policy that I disagree with because I feel that free drug samples are beneficial to low-income patients and patients in whom we'd like to try a short trial of a drug without making them get an entire prescription for it).

I am personally a member of an organization called "No Free Lunch." This is an organization in which we agree to not accept any free gifts from pharmaceutical representatives. I own one piece of "drug paraphernalia," an Allegra hairbrush that I've had from before I started medical school and I have no idea where it came from. But I've taken a permanent marker and blacked out the drug logo on it.

The only free gift that I will ever accept from a drug rep is a drug sample that I can give to patients, for the reasons I listed above. This movement is growing as younger doctors and medical students are getting fed up with the immense power that the pharmaceutical companies hold over the state of the art.

However, when my father turned 70, a good friend of his, a cardiologist, presented him with a birthday gift of...a "Viagra" necktie. ubblol

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Lighning & OWD, shouldn't your conversation really be in a different thread?....I'm surprised to see Charles come into it too.
It's hardly inline with the topic or help for Meduse now is it.

Although don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a Stick in the Mud cuz there's some really good points and I'm enjoying the read thoroughly!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yes, bug, but we already established that I'm a horrible person long ago in a thread far, far away. So I'm just exercising my horribleness.

Now, Charles, on the other hand, is a Mod. And a father, no less. He ought to be ashamed of himself. spank tongue ubblol

-Mike

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Antibiotics do NOT weaken your immune system.

Hi Charles,

it's not like you to be dogmatic, so I'm wondering if you can point me to research that proves antibiotics definitly do not weaken the immune system?

As my post says, the prime issues I was putting forward were: -

1. antibiotics attack 'good bacteria' in the body, as well as the 'bad bacteria' they are aimed at

2. antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains have developed as a result of over use of bacteria, and are a major problem.

I'm not arguing that antibiotics do weaken the immune system, however, in the situation we were originally talking about, that of taking them on a long term daily basis, I would not be at all surprised if they did. This simply on the grounds that they are effectively replacing the immune system.

An analogy would be that of someone who ceases to use their arm because it's in a cast. When the cast is removed their arm will be considerably weaker due to muscle loss, which in turn is due to inaction.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Lighning & OWD, shouldn't your conversation really be in a different thread?....I'm surprised to see Charles come into it too.

Although don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a Stick in the Mud cuz there's some really good points and I'm enjoying the read thoroughly!

A fair point, and my apologies to Medusa, the thread starter, if this has gone too far off track.

A lot of off topic situations develop becasue a relevant point is made, then someone disagrees and it develops into a debate over the new point etc.

By the time it's realised that the discussion has gone off track it's become a hotly discussed point in its own right.

Having said that, the antibiotics and conventional vs. alternative debate is still broadly relevant as it's about health, and could be of interest to many with a long term ailment who are considering other options.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
random note (just because what you said lightning reminded me of this and i thought it'd be interesting to add)....fish oil is also often prescribed as a supplement to treat bipolar disorder. so it has many good uses. smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Having said that, the antibiotics and conventional vs. alternative debate is still broadly relevant as it's about health, and could be of interest to many with a long term ailment who are considering other options.

i wonder if we had a general "i have a health question" thread. that would cut down on all the numerous health threads. perhaps there is one? eh, when i have a health question i'll go look. tongue

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Page: