Forums > Help! > Length of a firestaff?

Login/Join to Participate

MeLKiMomember
16 posts

Posted:
Hi ppl
I know this has been asked before but I still don't know. Because I don't have any brooms or anything to try lengths. And I don't know people where I can borrow a staff from to try either. So I hope someone can give me length advise based on the following information:
I'm 1m and 80 cm long (that must be 5,9 ft. according to the metric conversion chart tongue ) My arms are 60 cm (1,9 ft) with my hand a little bit bend cause you're hand isn't really straight when you're holding a staff I assume.

Are there lots of tricks that it's necassary that the staff can go under your arm?
Cause I was thinking also; how further the fire is away the better biggrin
Not that I'm going to lit it before I'm good enough anyway but...

Well... I hope someone can help me. Thnx!!!

The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
A lot of it depends on personal preference...Me, I'm 5'4" and my staff is right at 4ft. I've got 3 inch wicking on each end and it is 3/4" oak dowel rod.

Now, I'd say this would be a bit short for someone taller than me. I've watched a 6' tall guy spin mine, and frankly, he looked silly doing so. He needed a longer staff simply because his hands are bigger than mine, and he needed the extra room to hold them. The size wick you use also makes a difference. There are people around here with a 6' staff with 6 inches of wick on each end which is 1 1/2 inches thick. That staff looks great, and spins wonderfully as well. I just look silly spinning it since it is so much bigger than I am.

I'd also say that a heftier guy would need a bulkier staff. Someone who is tall and skinny could get away with something smaller without looking silly, while a taller, stockier man might look better with something a little longer and possibly more wicking.

But, it is a very personal decision, and it also depends on what image you would like to portray. You also should consider whether you want to just use a single staff, or do you want to get into doubles. If you want to do doubles, it is easier to start out with two shorter staffs instead of two long staffs.

MeLKiMomember
16 posts

Posted:
I'm planning on using a single staff. At least for now wink
And I'm pretty skinny. I think I like the longer ones most. The ones around 50 or 55 inches.
Am I right that the length doesn't really matter for the tricks you want to do when you use a single staff?

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I can only think of two tricks I do at the moment where the length matters.

One is doing a helicopter (rotor) like move under your arm when it is extended away from your body. Half the staff would need to be able to go between your hand and body is this instance.

The other trick I do involves the staff going between my legs circulating parallel to the ground. The staff needs to fit diagonally between my legs when they are strected out in a somewhat upsidedown V position.

Of course, I didn't do these moves as a beginner, and not everyone chooses to do them either. For most of the "tricks" length does not matter.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
well, rathr than tell you to search(as you rightly guessed this one has been asked a few times wink)
here's a few links:

double staff sizing mostly on doubles lengths, but the theory is good on most of it.

aaand another one on lengths(mostly singles)from the old board....

and here is what i wrote in that second thread, back in the day previous to becomnig a blue feline!:

Quote:

longer staffs are usually better for contact stuff, also build up more muscle, usually make you smoother...but.

shorter staffs are usually nicer for speed throws, and small intricate stuffs.
having said that i use 150cm doubles most of the time...

try a few things, but best of all have lots of staffs...

still holds pretty true i think.....

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MeLKiMomember
16 posts

Posted:
Moves of course rolleyes
I'm so obvious a beginner wave
I guess I just have to skip these moves. Otherwise I can't have a longer one then about 45 inches. That's a bit short for my length I think.
Thanks for all the information your giving! I'm finally getting near to a decision ubbidea

MeLKiMomember
16 posts

Posted:
I still have no idea confused
I'll just go for a medium sized. I like fast spinning (when I saw it, never done it tongue ) and when I take a medium it's to short for my boyfriend cause he is 6.7 ft tall and he won't steal it all the time. (he's almost pro juggler and when he sees a new toy he wants it!! ubbloco )
So I have to keep my staff save from him ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Im a beginner, started spinning staff a few weeks ago.
Im 5'9 and use a custom made 1m staff. I guess thats just because i much prefer throws and more intricate stuff to contact or anything that requires a longer, heavier staff.

Its all personal though, and if you can, find a shop near you that sells staff/poi etc. and just spin whatever they've got and see what feels comfy.

Ive tried using longer staffs and it doesnt work for me so its all up to you!

peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MeLKiMomember
16 posts

Posted:
Holland really sucks at juggling stores. We have kitestores which sell juggling things, but there isn't anywhere where you can just go and try some firestaffs. When I went there the guy didn't even know what I was talking about!!!
So I went to a hardware store (is that the right word for a place where they sell all those handy things from wood to bathroom thingies and paint?). I took all kinds of metal pipes and wooden staffs to try different lengths smile
They thought I was ubbloco
But I noticed a shorter and longer ones felt right. So it helped me so much making my decision confused
I like contactmoves when I see them... so I'm going for the longest inner core. If it's to long I'll pass it on to my giant boyfriend and buy a shorter one myself ubbidea

Thnx for the help everybody!