Forums > Social Chat > Getting back on HoP why is it so hard ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hello beautiful people

I should not be online , nor should i be posting on HoP i should be getting ready for my massage exams in two days eek ...

but i needed a break and so i just caught myself checking out HoP ... like looking from the outside at a home you once lived in but there are new people living in it ...Then i read the post that had been bumped, originally posted by the beautiful katinca - astro grill wink - ages ago and I remembered so many things and smiled.

I know why i loved HoP and I am happy cause i know others are finding inspiration now... but as much as i could use some hoPing today to escape the revisions ... i just find it so intimidating, hard , and even in a way i feel i cannot completely relate to the general energy and vibe sometimes...

THis is not really a post meant to disrespect what hoP has become or the new inhabitants , I hope noone sees it that way ... rather i am wondering why it is so hard to get back in HoP land ???

I remember a while ago (two years perhaps) when HoP took the great curve and we went from 500 to over a 1000 members in a few weeks i posted something to the newbies out there so they would not feel too uncomfortable facing this big board with people who seem to all know eachother so well...

and here i am a couple of years later in that same position .. but posting to other older members and als to the shy newbies who are not sure they can post : hey guys ... do you feel intimidated as well ???? confused and/or find it hard to reconnect with HoP ??? are you actually there to answer or are you long gone anyway ? wink

sorry for the rant
huggles and snuggles
shine on
Cass

Ps : forever in debt to you malcolm and all of the HoPers because i have met some of the most important people in my life through HoP and even though i only interact with them in real life now, I still very well know where i met them and how much i owe to this site ubblove

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Getting back on HOP...why is it so hard?

I think this thread proves it....it isn't hard at all

wave weavesmiley beerchug kiss hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Well said, Custom Bug. smile

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
No its not hard, Just Addictive!!!!!!!!!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hi Cass hug

I'm with you on this one. I also find the new incarnation of HOP more difficult to get into and even have a hard time moderating people sometimes. Back in the day, Pele, Charles, Josh and I were the noisy ones and I guess that's part of the reason we became mods, but life happened to all of us and during that time HOP took on a new atmosphere. I feel self-conscious and like I have very little authority around here, simply due to my lack of presence so tend to not post so much and moderate only in more extreme circumstances.

The only way I find myself able to feel comfortable on the forums again after an absence is by easing my way into it. Posting a little here and there.... What I have also done is targeted the new 'noisy' posters and sent them PM's in an attempt to get to know them better.

Essentially, I am still part of the HOP community and I will only get out of it what I am prepared to invest in it. If the topics in Social don't appeal to me, then it's up to me to create an atmosphere that I can contribute to.

My ego has a bit of a struggle with the fact that I'm not so much of a known entity around here anymore; not a "someone", but that's just superficial nonsense that I've been growing out of for quite some time.

love n light to all

flash
(used to be a "someone", but is now your humble moderator)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

My ego has a bit of a struggle with the fact that I'm not so much of a known entity around here anymore; not a "someone", but that's just superficial nonsense that I've been growing out of for quite some time.

flash

I remember when Flash used to be someone. eek

Don't forget Cass (and the rest of you old cynics)... many of our beautiful online friendships have blossomed into beautiful real-world friendships That doesn't mean that we should grieve because we no longer only know each other online.

So many of us carry you in our hearts every day Ms. Cass, just because we all don't see you online doesn't mean all of our spirits aren't still playing on some grassy hill in Denmark. Or up to our knees in mud in Germany. Or huddled in some Sushi bar in New York. Or spinning on a beach in Greece. We're all always with you too.

I love you buddy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I even remember back when she was good looking

What do u mean when? She is still good looking!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

4,224 posts

Posted:
Good morning

thank you guys for the input hugs and inspiration.

First of all I would like to clarify to those who seem to think i was being disrespectfull to newbies saying taht i do not think they are worth meeting... I cannot see any of my words that might have given you that impression .and I am sorry if I did not express myself well confused... quite the opposite i was meaning to put myself in the same basket as they are and saying : gee it is impressive and a bit intimidating these days ...

I am happy to read that it got some of us to post and express themselves too though so i guess i did not do such a bad job after all wink

Just to clarify : My love for HoP is endless and will never change. I met well over 200 Hop members in real life around the world and have almost always been blown away by their beauty, I adore the friends i have made through HoP and am forever thankfull. I am smiling at the thought of all the new members who are feeling the warmth and feeling at home like I did a few years ago I am REALLY happy for them and can only wish them the same ubblove and hug I have found (as well as an awfull lot of happy ubbloco)

Flash Fire thank you for pointing the ego issue out, I agree with you it is probably one of the thigns that plays a role for me as well. But then again i personnaly enjoy those reality checks wink, used to know everyone and now it is so different... or is it really ? ... smile

I also hear you guys mentioning taht instead of HoP having changed (allthough of course it did biggrin) it could be me / us also .... It is obvious and really I had not realized it that vibrantly (can you say vibrantly ??? confused) oh well... endulge me ...? ..

I thank you Pounce also for pointing out teh fact that everyone has the same feeligns one way or another ... cause this was my intuition : surely i cannot be the only one ...

and it is reassuring ...

as charles say (weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee charles i see you next week) do not spend too much time wondering what people think of you , they are too buisy wondering what you think of them... and in a way taht is it, perhaps ? HoP can still be intimidating and I hope, maybe if some old schoolers or some shy newbies read this it will make them smile and go ahead and post .

Shine on

cass - who really should go study no OMG one day left

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I hear ya cass smile
it's tricky sometimes to keep up with everything that's been going on, which can make for a disconnected feeling sometimes smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

i am fine on teh boards, and can post and talk to anyone on here, but meet them face to face, and i fall apart and become very intimidated!

Um aren't you the guy who span in just shorts in freezing weather at Princess's party! I never met someone who intimidated by others removed practically all their clothes before ubblol

yeap that was me, and while yes i can quite happily get nakid and spin ( have done much worse, ie spinning in my boxers in eth snow, and much more!)

but that night i was very consiou sof teh ppl there being the cream of teh uk spinner, and while loverly ppl, (hugs to you all) i was jus tworried tha tmy spinning would be so bad ppl would laught at me, so i didnt relly spin!

so who wer eyou, sorry i met so many ppl i forget faces to names, its part of my dyslexia

Step (el-nombrie)

nobodynobody
2 posts

Posted:
Flash Fire:
Quote:

Consider yourself lucky miss, you used to be a "someone".

Look at me, I'm just a..... frown

ubblol

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
*mech pats nobody on the head*

*mech make sure nobody is hugged*

*mech lets nobody know are loved*

*mech tells nobody that they are welcome on hop!*

(and yes i had it took me while to think of this joke, and make sure they were written right, sorry im thick, im a geek, we aint funny as a race!)

Step (el-nombrie)

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
I don't know about getting BACK on but getting on it is hard. I still don't feel like I fully connect with the community here. For a number of reasons. The sheer size of it is certainly an aspect but it's more than that.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

4,224 posts

Posted:
(((((((((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))) for nobody and for Quixotic in particular biggrin

I really want to tahnk you all for expressing teh same fear as i have... it really helps I really thank you

shine on
Cass

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe smile

Is that it then? The lack of recognition? Feeling anonymous in a large crowd? rolleyes wink You are who you are because of who you are, not those people who are in proximity to you.

I think Pele's sentiments are close to mine; I dont put myself out there anymore. I simply dont have time. I never was into the games and so welcomed the introduction of the social discussion and intro sections (now all that guff is filtered out of my HOPing). Hence it does take me a while to find the lovely deep posts like this one. But as a Mod I have to keep trawling smile

HOP has always been for me a meeting of like-minds, at first virtually and then in person. It still is, although there still seems to be the old skool crew driving the technical discussions (but thats another topic). This is why I dont lose interest. I think HOP is still the most useful internet portal for learning twirly / firey arts - to me this is key.

Its been a while for some of us since we first joined, but the intension is still the same.

Long live HOP!

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
wow. so i've been lurking around this site for quite some time now and posting every once in a while(maybe 8 months) but not often as i find that it is somewhat intimidating/hard to because to me it seems as if everyone knows everyone else on here (whether from just on here or have met in real life too) and i know hardly any of you at all, let alone any other spinners and such, no one is near me knows of these things unless i teach them but my love for poi, fire and HoP continues so i will try to post when i can and hopefully i'll meet more people on here too. smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Quote:

HOP has always been for me a meeting of like-minds, at first virtually and then in person. It still is, although there still seems to be the old skool crew driving the technical discussions (but thats another topic). This is why I dont lose interest. I think HOP is still the most useful internet portal for learning twirly / firey arts - to me this is key.

ubblol ubblol ubblol spot on my man.

as an 'oldschooler' (ive got a 480 membership lurking around somewhere) i remember the same problems getting on to hop, and stuck to the technical where I could just post about moves and not bother with the silly stuff. Now the technical section is still the reason to be here, but I find im more willing to engage in frivolotyor argument outside of there. though I still dont read war topics, im depressed enough already.

I read most things thease days, and as dom has pointed out, the actual traffic in posts hasnt gone up all that much, theres a diffrent set of peaple giggling at each other, and you know thats because at that point they havent got enough of a life (office workers, unemployed, students ect.) to do anything else. Obviosly i fall under that catagory at the moment, but not all the time. but ive always felt I can come and go in hop, as long as their are new moves to decypher, or some silly game to take up the hours, or a whole vasried world of bullshit, advice, comfort and humour available in the chatroom ( hug to da icq-krew ubblol ) the site will remain the same posative place, but small villages always look intimidating to the outsider.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well I saw you spin and you did a damn fine job! Yes, lots of great spinners & jugglers at that party not afraid to spin while v. mashed. I did not play with my toys at all that night, attempted to learn backgammon, played with my balloon, um enjoyed happy times. Great party that was. Who was I? I was me .

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Flash say
Quote:

What I have also done is targeted the new 'noisy' posters and sent them PM's in an attempt to get to know them better.

i didn't get one frown

*makes "must be noisier" note in his notebook*

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Ah but you're not a 'new' noisy poster. Your noise is well established on HOP!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Heya,
I've never talked to you before and I thought you had disappeared but I already like you... I bumped your "I like it when..." thread because it made me smile
beerchug to the lady with great ideas wave

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking the same thing of late.... I try to run in and read a few things, but it is very hard to climb back in. I didn''t have a chance to read this whole thread, but i agree with your sentimenst in genreal cass. Its kind of odd, kind of hard, adn very intimidating.

Kbug smile

oh, adn i second cass. without hop i wouldn't have met some of my best friends, like kinudin! not to mention millions of other lurvely friendships which are still mostly online due to money issues frown

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Page: