Forums > Social Chat > Show idea - raven and the sun

Login/Join to Participate

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
I've been rolling the idea around in my head for weeks now, and may as well get it out. It started with the idea of using fire fans and fire head dresses for wings and plumage, and stuck around when I drew an abstract raven with fire in its wings, representing fire artists, the bringers of fire. The dance is a retelling of the story of Raven bringing fire and light to the world. Beginning at dusk, the bit of back story concerning the folklore is related orally, somatically, or both. Or not at all, if the audience is familiar with the story already. A torch it lit, but held out of sight or in a container somewhere. At night, the fire dancers, sans the fire at this point, wait for Raven (wearing wings/fans/head dress/feathers unlit) to arrive. Raven does so, and steals the torch (the "sun") from its confines and eats the flame, discreetly igniting the wicks of the "feathers" after the "Sun" has been consume. Raven then moves on over the "world", bringing the gift of fire to the other performers, who have their wicks ignited by Raven's fire fingers, and proceed with their parts. The finer details are abstract things, this was just for the over all concept.

I thought it'd be nifty, anyway.

I plan on trying to organize this once I get back to Washington, have money for the equipment, and can gather other people. And get Dani to be the Raven. Mwuahaha.

Any feedback, little ravens?

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
Forgot to mention that I wanted to look into other mythologies concerning the first fire and the birth of light. I was skimming through the folklore of the oceaniac cultures, and they would be just as good, if not better. The idea for Raven sprung first since I've been in the northwest of north America so long, it's the first thing that sprung to mind. The more central southern American mythos of Spider actually being the one who brought fire would be an interesting twist to use the fire equipment for. Fire arachnids? Mmmm.

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.