Forums > Social Chat > Charles the stupid hypocrite! :-(

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I’ve always tried to share positive threads and stories on HoP, but I’d like to share a situation (for me anyway) that became really distasteful.

The NZ Juggling festival was held last weekend, and I taught several classes (with other more talented tutors helping, thanks Jo) both official and impromptu.

One of the impromptu one was a number of young children who saw me twirling a broom in the registration room (it was raining) and wanted to learn. And the others had a few other young children come along and pick up the sticks too.

After about 4-5 hours of tuition (and learning for me too) I was on a real high, seeing the best part of 30 people pick up staffs for the first time and advancing really quickly. I felt on top of the world.

Then, later in the weekend, one of the young boys who I taught lit up for the first time with the Firestaff his dad bought at the festival.

Suddenly, I had this sick feeling in my stomach, and suddenly realised that all those children who were learning staff were going to want to light up as soon as possible.

Like a ton of bricks, the word ‘hypocrite’ fell on me and smashed all my happy feelings to pieces.

For years I’ve telling people not to let young children spin fire, as the smoke inhalation is bad for them, doubly so than for adults as most people’s lungs don’t finish forming until the late teens or early twenties.

There’s also the issue of fuel splashes getting absorbed into the skin, which also worries me, and the of course, the chance of being burned or hurting someone else.

Then there’s the even more worrying scenario of these kids lighting up when no-one is around, or getting their friends into it without supervision and all the horrific things that can happen from that. This includes them fire breathing or using the wrong fuels or burning down someone’s house!

I feel like the world’s biggest hyprocrite, after saying all these things for years and then selfishly not even thinking about the effect that teaching the skills will have on young children wanting to light up.

At this stage, I’m considering giving up fire and/or tuition for good. I had a great time at the festival, but feel I learned a lot more about responsibility and how easy it is to do the wrong thing than I ever thought I could.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Dude,
You said you taught them how to spin staff. At any point did you tell them to light up? No!!!!
Cheers!
ubbloco umm ubbloco

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Charles, you are totally right about saying that you are a stupid hyprcrite.
excepting for two important points.
1. you are not stupid, you are the most intelligent staffer-teacher i have had the pleasure to communicate with.
2. you are not a hypocrite, cus that implies that you are more often contradicting yourself. This is not the case, what you expeienced was an exception to your norm.
3. WEEEEEEEEEEE LOOOOOOOVVEE YOOOOOOOOOO CHARLES!!!

..can i call you charlie?! hug

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Patrick...The point is that that is a natural extension of teaching staff.

If you show a child how to make spitballs out of wet tissue and fire them through a straw, expecting them to not shoot them at people later shows a complete lack of undertanding about the way children act.

I feel I understand the way children act a lot more than most people I know, and I for oen shoudl have instantly seen the follow-on effect.

Maybe I did, but was havign a such a good time that I blocked it out, either way, it still makes me a hypocrite who may well have endangered dozens of kids out of pure recklessness... frown

Bender, it only takes one act of hyprocrisy to make one a hypocrite, or just plain stupid, like the missionary who kills the whole village with his cold before he can 'save' their souls. As far as he was concerned, he sent them to hell earlier than they would have got hteir on their own.

I'm not tryignt o bash myself or anything, but since I realised what i did, I'm in a wierd headspace mostly concerned with stopping me from doing this again.

I haven't even told my wife about it, which is probably the first time I've even kept anything from her!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well then, you better never let any children you know spin a sock....
In case I get flamed for this! I am trying to cheer up our favourite Chuckles!
Cheers!
tongue tongue tongue

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
AHHHHHHH A TALKING BADGER!!!

Anyway, You can't stop others in the choices they make... I understand where you stand, but please also see that the stage this person is at, is different. You didn't teach them with fire, and I commend you for that, you showed these children how to twirl a broom stick. The parent who took the child to buy a "fire staff" is to blame if anything was to and, god forbid, would happen.

Charles... listen to me very very carefully... you are not to blame for the actions of others... blame what's in the water... it's easier... hug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
You should look at this not as a reason to quit, but as a reason to remember next time to tell the kids the importance of fire safety, and the requirements before lighting up. I can also recommend telling them a fire spinning horror story, factual or fictional, in order to keep the tone serious. Please don't quit simply because you were a bit forgetful for once in your life, you're way too hard on yourself.

1,903 posts

Posted:
And remember, your getting older and more forgetful, and you have a kid now... I remember when my parents forgot about me when we stopped at a petrol station once... there I was... for three months, sitting next to pump number four... *sniff* ubbcrying

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Quote:

you are not to blame for the actions of others

Why not? I am responsible for making people smile, or act exactly the way I want to during a stage show, which is why I get paid to be an entertainer.

I've always had a knack for allowing people to do things i want them to do, and I've always found it to be more of a curse than a blessing.

I'm not saying I can make people jump in front of buses or anything, but by changing the circumstances people are in or by showing them a new perspective you can have a HUGE influence on their lives.

Normally this influence is positive, but isn't that what hitler was (misguidedly) trying to do by culling the non-blond, cripples etc etc.

I am responsible for my own actions, but i am also responsibile for my influence if I understand how it can affect others...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

1,903 posts

Posted:
Yes, you are responsible for your own actions, no your not responsible for others actions, you can put on a show until your black and blue, you can inclued as many people into your performance as you want... but you can never make somebody elses mind up for them. You say you can't make somebody step in front of a bus, tell me something... if they choose to step in the way of a bus, would you blame yourself...

Charles, "I" can't make you do something as much as "you" can't make me do something. It's what makes me me, and you you... you can show me whatever you want to show me... but if I choose not to pay attention... I'm not going to learn.

The kid who you were teaching, may have seen somebody else doing fire... sometime compeltly different to you... and choose to do it... how is that your fault?

1,903 posts

Posted:
And I did notice that you say you are responsible for making people smile, hold on to this... but remember, it's an action you do which makes then smile... but they still choose to smile... ubbrollsmile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
dude,

You are not a hypocrite for one hypocratic incident. For someone to be legitimately called a hypocrite, they need to have a dominant characteristic of hypocrasy.

Talk to your wife about it, I'm sure she will help you through to a headspace thats more clear.

and as for twirling leading to fire twirling, I dont believe it has to.

buck up mate, it'd be a sad reality where parents think its ok for 5 year old jimmy to fire twirl on his own just cuz he learned it at a juggle convention. I think most parents are far more responsible than that, dont you?

You dont have ultimate responsibility for the safety of all these kids, that does rest with the parents...

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Quote:

am responsible for my own actions, but i am also responsibile for my influence if I understand how it can affect others...

This is the whole essence of how I view responsibility. Being able to predict a common outcome.

If I take a toy suddenly and forcefully away from a very small child, the most common outcome is anger or a burst of tears. I doubt you would find many people who would argue that it wasn't ME that caused the tears, it was actually the choice of the child to cry or get angry...

That's not the way it works with young children, and that type of reaction is still common among all adults too, even if some have a much better control over it.

As far as anyone I've ever met is concerned, it was ME who MADE the child cry, by taking away their toy in an abrupt and forceful manner.

We then apply this principle to older children but to a lesser degree, and to adults to a even lesser degree. But we never lose the 'control' that knowing what a certain reaction is likely to provoke, and doing that action to see if we get the reaction we want.

Those of us (and I hope to be incliuded in this group) who try to see and learn from these causes and effects ultimately end up carrying more responsibility for their fellows actions than those who never bothered to look at the reasons why people do things.

An interesting case in point is how I believe I singlehandedly orchestrated an high number of staff posts on HoP to get a staff forum introduced. I rather sneakily, relied on my knowledge of how people react to things they believe are incorrect or flawed, and are more likely to speak out than if those things were not apparent.

Of course, it may well have been a complete fluke, and those posts were going to increase anyway BUT

BUT the only time you can truly say those people CHOSE to post instead of reacting to my prompts is if they thought something along the following lines...

"I think Charles deliberately wrote that post to bait people into replying and starting new threads about staff moves, however, despite his motiviations I'm going to consciously choose to reply anyway, for my own reasons and not as a reaction to his deliberate words"

Now how many times do people think that?

There are some people who would never think along those lines at all unless someone else told them about it...

I know this has gone off track a little, but do you understand where the responsibilities for others actions can become very blurred int his area?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
So, by your own definition, you will NOT be responsible for injuries, because at the time of imparting the knowledge you didnt realise that that may be a possible outcome? and if you had, you certainly wouldnt have done it.

You are only human and nobody expects you to fully explore the ramifications of everytthing you say or do before you do it. If everyone did that most people wouldnt get out of bed in the morning! smile Its an ideal. Its something to aspire towards, but there are very few people who never put their foot in it. and besides, wouldnt you get bored with never saying exactly what was on your mind when its on there?

So I guess the real question is, were you socially negligent? or to put it another way... did you exercise sufficient duty of care? From the tiny amount of details you gave in outlining the situation, I think its border line, but not guilty. You would do it better next time I'm sure, but you will never do it better if you give up now.

We all learn from mistakes. Even teachers make mistakes (I keep thinking this as I'm about to start training to be a high school teacher rolleyes).

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So Charles, if I educate a patient on the dangers of drugs and I advise the patient not to do drugs...and the patient goes out and does drugs, should I stop practicing medicine?

confused

So you educated your students on the danger of fire and advised them not to, right?
EDITED_BY: Lïghtnïng (1076393212)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

1,903 posts

Posted:
I can see where responsibilities for others actions can become very blurred, and I can also see that you would not snatch a staff away from a child.

But I will tell you how I see where this can ( By taken one single angle of the thread ) go. This thread can end in the direction of how your parents showed you lessons, I was shown that everybody is responable for their own actions, not of the actions of others. I care for another person, animal, being of any kind just like the next person, but there is a time where that person needs to take responsibility for what it is their doing, or not doing.

Now as for...

Quote:

Originally posted by Charles
"I think Charles deliberately wrote that post to bait people into replying and starting new threads about staff moves, however, despite his motiviations I'm going to consciously choose to reply anyway, for my own reasons and not as a reaction to his deliberate words"

Of course nobody thinks about it like that... but again, this is only one side of the coin. What if somebody began thinking...

Quote:

Wow... Charles started a new thread, I wonder what's it about?, I think I go in, read it, reply by giving my views on the topic because if he started a thread he 'must' want to know how I feel and what my views are.

see... it may sound childish, ( And I did not mean it to be if it does ) but it is another angle.

1,903 posts

Posted:
No... you educated the patient, you showed then the pros and cons, then "they" choose to continue... how is that your fault???

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
At the moment,my kids are being taught,or shown in school that they are responsible for their actions.If they get told off for laughing in class and they say"but.............made me do it".,this is not true.........because X's actions may have been funny,but they chose to react by laughing out loud.I am very grateful to the teacher for trying to show this to them.........Arsn is right,and maybe you are angry with yourself for getting carried away on what you perceive to be an egotistic high,but you are being way to hard on yourself.Remember to be as kind to you as you are to others..... smile

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I can see where you feel bad, the mind of a child is far different from the mind of an adult. That 'common sense' comes into play a lot in this world. I think the key thing to do is to alter your teaching methods in the future. You should not hesitate to teach your art merely because they could potentially use it dangerously. In that case we should ban martial arts until they are old enough to comprehend the extent of their actions.

I think the key would be to stress the importance of safety, if they have not associated fire with staffs then all the better. Inform the PARENTS as well, if you have done both those things the responsibility lies on the parents, not on you. You have done everything you could.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
*little voice from the back of the room*

charles have never met you, but know that form what i has seen, heard, and read on the boards this inncodent was not your fault. There is no way that i would (as a parent) allow my child (even if i was a fire spinner) to have a fire stick, there is just no way.

The fact that some stupid parent let his kid light up is not your fault, there is no reason for you to give up fire, other wise you would have given up stuff long agao that you do, for example if you were teaching someone to juggle, and they then went, brought some expensive huggling toys (ie areotech balls) and damaged one, would that stop you teaching people to juggle....

I knwo that these two situationsa re very diff, but at the end of teh day they are mostly teh same, just because someone goes a step further, thaen thats their own stupid ass fault..

Did yyou go over to teh farther and tell him "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" and explain to him about it, maybe you could do a leaflet about fire dnagers when you are teaching teh kids for teh rents to read?

Charles trust in us, you are a nice guys, open and caring for people, you are not a hypocrite! not in any way, you just had one of those days, and you saw somthing tha really upset you.

laterdays man

*little voice shuts up*

Step (el-nombrie)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Charles, hun, I do worry a little about your motives in posting this. It is almost as though you want to tell everyone how horrible and awful you are, and have them agree. As you can see from the responses so far, that is highly unlikely to happen. hug And I am certainly not going to be the first. hug

Why is that?

Well firstly we do think a lot of you. A number of us consider you to be a good friend. And, yes, it is hard to criticise a friend.

But more importantly you have a track record of sound, intelligent advice and behaviour.

Maybe you did do something wrong in teaching those children. I honestly can't say. I suspect you found yourself in a situation where you were weighing up (even subconsciously) two very important values to see which took priority. The first value being "making people happy", the second being "keeping people safe".

All this is looking at the past. You need to look to the future.

1. If you have decided the priority should have been "keeping people safe" is there anything you can do to fix the situation that occurred?
2. If you found yourself in that situation again, would you handle it differently?
3. Is there is a way of making sure you meet both values (happy/safe)?

Additional: If this sounds tough, I am sorry. I admit I am trying to give you a little shake up to make you reflect. But if it is not needed, or harms in any way, please ignore it. hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
charles i totally understand how u feel at fire nights im usually the one to say stop setting the river on fire, stop pouring shellite on the ground etc etc a few weeks ago there was a wedding on the other side of the park where we twirl and the uncle of the bride came over and asked us to come closer and twirl he dropped $100 into our donations tin so we went over and all lite up.

everything was fine and dandy i was having a twirling and the bride came up to me and wanted to have a go in her wedding dress, so i told her she couldnt cos if she hit her dress it would catch and melt onto her skin, but she persisted and said can she just hold it above her head so her husband can see. my initial reaction was o god no, but being her wedding night and all i figured if she just held it then gave it back it would all be fine, after all how can i begrude her request on her wedding nite.

so i told her that she could hold it above her head and had to give it straight back and that she must not twirl it. As soon as i let go of the staff the first thing she did was start twirling it above her head in a helecopter type movement. shear panic filled my body as i tried to get it back off her while trying to avoid getting mashed in the head with the end of the stick. after she gave the stick back i was a nervous wreck even though it all ended ok i felt soooooooo guilty and couldnt sleep that night.

since then i havnt nor do i plan to hand a lite firestick to anyone that i dont know very well. so whats the moral of this story? we all have lapses in judgement just learn from ur experience and move on.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Don't feel bad Charles You're one of the good guys, you can't control the Dad who goes out and buys a firestaff for his son. hug

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone for your word sof support...they are helping me as my head is starting to sort out exactly what's been going on inside it.

Rozi, my motivation as far as I know was to get this off my chest to people who may understand. The few people I talked with at the festival were pretty much "get over it dude its no big deal", but it IS a big deal to me.

I'm also feeling guilty because I didn't even mention fire or safety in any of the tutorials.

This was deliberate, but in hindsight, the fact that of the 12 staffs i took with me, 4 were covered in soot, seems to have made that decision redundant.

Perhaps its just time for me to feel a bit down too, as I've been riding a serious high ever since 11th June (with afew small lows) and long highs often make people more susceptable to crashing and burning afterwards.

Benjamen - Thank you for sharing your story. It's nice to see that the only person who appears to be able to relate, isn't trying to talk me out of the way i feel but confirming that it is a icky place for your mind to be in and that it may take some time.

Maybe I am being a bit heavy handed by saying I may give up fire and teaching, but it's weighing really heavy on me at the moment, especially as i didn't mention anything about safety or fire during the courses, we just went through the moves and transitions.

I guess it's time ot bear up and get on with dealing with it. But I'm still feeling uncomfortable about telling ym wife, and that worries me too. Does that mean I am truly ashamed of it at the moment?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I feel that teaching kids to something with sticks other than hit each other is positive.
You feeling responsible is a reflection of the caring person that you are and I doubt that feeling is going to go away.

Maybe sharing your feelings with your loved one will help clear it all in your head.

hug hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
from what ive read of your posts in the past you are often the voice of logic and reason, to go against that by doing something that in hindsite you see as irresponsible(all be it unintionally) goes against your view of yourself so its quite natural to have a strong emotional response. my question to you would be why is it that you havnt told your wife?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hey Charles, I'm with everyone here, you shouldn't feel the guilt of responsibility that a child wants to experiment with fire. That's what parent are supposed to teach....common sense!
Keep doing what you do.

A question tho, does your teachings involve any fire or simply based around twirling?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Oh and good luck on your 3000th Post Charles!! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I know what Charles is saying - "you are not to blame for the actions of others" - But with kids you've always go to be thinking responibly about what influence you're being on them.

I think you're over reacting, but I can understand completely why you got messed up about it, especially as I've met you. And I know you should be chatting to your good wife as well. I can't imagine her judging you harshly.

So, I reckon you take it as a very good lesson for the future. Next time you teach kids you'll mention safety as well, and people will still get the joy of your lessons.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Rozi, my motivation as far as I know was to get this off my chest to people who may understand. The few people I talked with at the festival were pretty much "get over it dude its no big deal", but it IS a big deal to me.

So it wasn't even the teeniest tiny-est bit about self-flagellation? wink Phew, I am relieved...

I do honestly understand. And I also understand what a big deal it is for you. It should be for everyone.

Guilt is a useful emotion. It niggles and naggles until we finally admit there is something we have done wrong or could have done better. But to make it truly useful, we have to act on the lesson given. Life is going to bring you back to this moment again, and what will be your decision at that point?

On the one hand I am speaking lightly to you, not because I think this is a non-serious matter, but because I think you don't deserve the harsh criticism you are directing towards yourself.

On the other hand I am talking quite strongly to you, as I hope you will always do with me. Because I know you will listen, absorb, (not necessarily agree wink ) and act on what is said.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Hi Charles,

The fact that you were even concerned shows that you're considerably more responsible and sensible than many other people who could have been running the workshop if you weren't.

I would hope that you don't stop running workshops for that very reason.

As spinning has got more popular there's a fair number of 'cowboys' who are passing themselves off as teachers, and who simply do not care about safety issues.

I posted before about a friend who was full of the joys of fire breathing having been taught the skill in 5 minutes at a party whilst drunk! I gave him the facts, for which he was most grateful, and suggested that he passed it on to the person who taught him; I'm sure you would have done the same.

Over here there's a kind of social group that I did a day long spinning workshop for. They like to do one day workshops in 'extreme skills'. Prior to me they'd had a fire breather in. In my opinion it wasn't appropriate, but I didn't say anything because I felt that it wasn't my place to critisise; but I was a bit unhappy that he apparently at no point mentioned the dangers of fire breathing.

If you don't do workshops, someone else will, and it could be someone like the above.

You're a responsible bloke, you care, and you'll work out ways to learn from this and turn it to advantage.

Ideas like Mechs- leaflets on hand with safety issues/dangers could be good.

It's an opportunity to try things out, see what works, and then post it in a FAQ here so everyone can start emphasising responsibility when they do workshops.

Hope you're feeling happier smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: