Forums > Social Chat > Fire Spinners are the Biggest Flakes in the World.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That's right! I said it! Hate me if you must, but it's true.

Maybe there are flakier groups out there, but I've never met them. I've been a memeber of many different groups growing up: Musicians, Swing Dancers, Actors, Chemistry Majors, Teachers, Students, Cashiers, Referees, Activity Planners, Promoters, Protesters, New Yorkers and many others...

NOBODY flakes more than Firespinners.

If 100 firespinners say they'll DEFINITELY be at an event, count on 12. If they say they'll be there by noon, don't even leave your house til 2. I've had people who live 5 minutes away show up 6 HOURS late to things. Actually, I've had spinners show up a DAY late without even calling! (No, not you Pele, you were at least busy!!)

I don't understand how in every other area of my life, people have no trouble getting to where they're going, but the second you get firespinners involved it becomes, as my old buddy Nyx would say "Herding Kittens".

Is it the same elsewhere in the world? How do others deal with it? Why is it particular to spinners? Do people have any understanding as to how RUDE it is? Or are they all to self involved to care about the way they might impact another's life? (I do believe that people who are notoriously late must, on some level, be intrinsicly selfish. Many don't even realize why.)

I've learned that if a firespinner commits to something, I should probably just treat it as a remote possiblity, plan as if it's NOT going to happen, and be happy on the off chance it does. I'm not actually angry about it. I got over that long ago. I'm more confused and puzzled.

What's WRONG with you people? biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr GreenthumbBRONZE Member
Roll up!, The Doctors in the house!
243 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

A Spinner is never late nor early. He arrives precisely when he means to....

One could not agree more!
meditate

If we all ate one person then i'd be full.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
**** Please note that this thread has been bumped after 4 months ****

I don't want it to seem that I'm still bitching about this. wink

I can say that working up here at Te Pooka is doing wonders for my belief in relaible firespinners.

They actually get gigs, reherse, show up, do an amazing job, and get paid.

It seems so easy. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ber sealThe Official London juggling über spy. shh! dont tell any one
419 posts

Posted:
also jugglers are never on time.

I think it has something to do with there view of time.

I'm late to most things.

my last job was in a juggling shop (thank god). cos in 1 1/2 years I was on time about 10 days in that.

and they were the first 10 days.

we dont do it on purpose.
most of us dont have a watch cos time does not mean much to you when you are trying to get a trick.

I like the way I am.
some things I am on time.
others I am late.

but whatever I'll be there when I am.

and that is all you can ask of me.

see you all befor the end of time yeah.

When people says "plz" cause its shorter than "please" I say "no" cause its shorter than "yes"

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Well, I never saw this thread when it was hot. I guess I'm late to it...

But I have another theory. People with ADD or ADHD have difficulty keeping track of time. It's "gets away from us" real easily. And I, for one (and a newbie at that), have found that spinning is a kind of self-med for ADHD (quite compatible with my other meds, thank you very much). I suspect the percentage of people with ADD/ADHD is much, much higher among spinners than among the general population.

(I actually think "flake" would be a good slang term meaning "person with ADD," as long as WE get to call "normal" people "stakes" (as in, stake in the ground, can't move)...I've said that really WE'RE the normal ones, and that everyone else has "linear thinking disorder (LTD)," but I was mostly kidding. Kind of.)

Now, some of us (Lightning, maybe the Te Pooka gang) have developed strategies for being on time anyway. I used to be known for my punctuality, until 9/11...I've been at least 5 minutes late to everything ever since. Or ridiculously early, but that's rare.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This thread is very useful actually.

I wish people just told you up front if they were always late or not. This way I could chose not to waste my time with them.

Is being late on purpose to get back at those who are habitually late vendictive? Or karma? wink

And... I know I can get paid $100 an hour to tutor chemistry. So if you're an hour late to meet me, and I accidentally break a $100 worth of your stuff, are we even?

devil

Kidding only in the fact that it's a different way of thinking about wasting someone else's time... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

456 posts

Posted:
I think hardly anybody is late on purpose, or even through not caring enough. I know that my being late has absolutely nothing to do with how much I care about the person I'm meeting or the event we're attending...until I get to the point of being drastically early, like for planes. But being early irritates people when you're meeting them at their house...on the other hand, people who are at home aren't as inconvenienced by lateness as people standing out on a corner in the sleet.

It's not that I don't care. It's that my brain doesn't deal with time well.

Are you really going to "choose not to waste [your] time" with me because I'm 5 minutes late to everything? Even if I call and tell you I'm going to be late? Even if I don't expect you to wait for me if I'm not there when it's time to go, or start, or whatever?

By the way, I don't completely flake, basically ever. If I tell someone I'll be somewhere, I'll show up. And if I'm going to be more than a few minutes late (a standard that varies by the type and length of the event) I call and warn. If I'm not sure I'll be somewhere, I usually say so.

When planning something well in advance, I usually say "Barring the unforeseen," or something like that, to indicate a sort of force majeure exclusion; another habit acquired That Day. Lately I told someone that because I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't be home barfing from chemo on the night of her party; now I'm sure I can go, because the tests came back negative, thank $DIETY.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nobody's talking about 5 minutes late. Nobody's talking about not showing up because you need to donate a kidney to save your little brother's life.

We're talking about people showing up hours late, inconveniencing others and blowing it of to a cute personal quirk.

I've stated that earlier in this thread. See my earlier posts.

Again though, I'm not the one who bumped this up...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

456 posts

Posted:
Oh, OK. I guess I overinterpreted the juxtaposition of my saying I was always 5 minutes late with your saying This thread is very useful actually...I wish people just told you up front if they were always late or not. This way I could chose not to waste my time with them. I apologize for my overdeveloped sense of text semantics...thanks for clarifying. (I was worried...when you come back I want you to teach me some more things!)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nope... in fact, if you look at the time discrepancy, you'll see that I didn't even see your post before posting mine. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

456 posts

Posted:
Mea culpa.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
A bit of bumpage needed for a rant!

soapbox
It would appear that, contrary to popular belief, firespinners are not the biggest flakes in the world after all, my mates are!

This will be the 4th year in a row that they have all (yes, every single one of them) cancelled on me with very little notice (I'm talking like while I'm in the shower getting ready to go out and meet them all!) for going out to celebrate my birthday!
frown frown frown
I could understand if I'd wanted to go out during the week, but no, Its Friday night, and only one of them has a valid excuse!

And people wonder why I spend hours sat in front of a computer talking to people hundreds of miles away!! rolleyes

At least you guys here never fail to put a smile on my face when I need it! hug

/rant.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
do you have a moblie (or cellphone in american I think wink) mister NYC?

just curious.......

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes. Yes I do.

I also have 4 jars of peanut butter and over 100 styrofoam cups. And 6 safety pins but I borrowed them from my neighbor.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,638 posts

Posted:
lol - I'm not about to ask why. I need some saftey pins. Things keep ripping..............maybe I just need a new pair of jeans.....

Anyway.

Most people have different concepts of time - to some 30 mins is unacceptable, to some 3 hours is only a small bit of the day, to some one day is only a bit of a weekend.

Personally I don't like to say when I'll be anywhere cos I'm very random - but honest about it.

Written by:

but i don't condemn people for a lack of punctuality unless a specific request for it has been made.
and right or wrong as it may be in your eyes, i expect the same courtesy to be extended to me

ditto

I'm a bit mixed about this one. I don't like the fact that people expect everything to run like clockwork - it is breeding totally inflexible attitudes which make me angry. On the other hand, if a specific arrangement has been made by both parties then they should show respect and let each other know if plans change. If they don't, then you just learn not to expect anything from them in the future, and it's not worth stressing about.

People are all different and yoou can only learn by trial and error - give everyone their chance (or 2...3...4....whatever) and learn.

And in the meantime, what's a few hours? Read a book, chat to someone, go on an adventure.......smile biggrin I don't like being uptight about time cos that way you're never making the most of it.

I try not to make my actions so reliant on someone else that they can mess it up if they flake. That way whatever happens you're not let down, not stressed and not affected in any negative way. Much better smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(This arguement is quite old indeed!)

Though I think naturally flakey people should simply communicate the fact that they're flakey in advance. "I'll be there at 4:00" is quite different than "Dude, I'll be there when I'm there, I have no idea when that will be."

A simple disclaimer can save us not-so-flakes from grumpyness.

And why do you want to know if I have a mobile? Are you stalking me again? I told you, I HAVE a girlfriend, stop calling me!!! tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,638 posts

Posted:
I forgot.

I think not having a cellphone makes you more patient. As does not having a watch.

but hat seems to make people grumpy wink biggrin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh no... having a mobile has made my life much better.

Now I can call and say "Dude, I'm freezing my butt off in the park! Where ARE you guys?!" To which they can respond "Oh, did I say 4:00? Yeah... sorry man, it's gonna be more like June."

And then I can call someone else and see where THEY are.

My mobile has greatly improved my life in so very many ways.

Actually, a mobile is a good flake sensor. You can call someone an hour before you're supposed to be somewhere and see if they're on their way or not.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I may not be reliable, but if I give my word im going to show up I show up. Or, if it is unlikely that I will show up I give a series of words like "I doubt ill make it but if I can I will so don't count on me because I probably won't make it"

Then I show up, and the other person isn't their.

All I expect from people is to be honest rather or not they can show up in a place when they say they will.

Also I think paintball players are far more unreliable then poi spinners. not only does it require they are reliable to show up, paintball costs a lot more money then poi spinning (like 14 bucks of kero is definatly enough for a night of spinning, but 14 bucks of paintballs is barely enough for a couple of hours of paintballing)

and their is an inverse relationship between money and reliability inherent in nearly everyone.

one way I found to counter this as far as paintball goes is to get people to pay in advance so they have to show up or they lose what they paid for (paintballs for example)

but this doesn't really work for poi, what is their to pay for? kerosene? bad idea.

after one failed poi gathering, and one semi-failed one (where my own 'best friend' couldn't show up even though it was a 10 minute walk from his house and all he had to do was commit to being home in a 6 hour window, when he had nothing else to do in that whole week but decided to go home even though he knew the gathering was happening at that particular time for atleast a week)

In general if I want to even think anyone likes me, I don't leave my house to meet them anywheres because they will most likely duck out leaving me feeling akward and looking very suspicious waiting for someone to show up (I always show up like atleast 10-40 minutes early and stay for atleast 2-4 hours) whenever meeting someone. I usually end up having to spend money in overpriced stores for things I don't want, just because im hideiously bored and would rather spend my time doing anything but waiting around for no one to show up.

People are pretty hopeless and so am I. Why should I try to meet them?

3,638 posts

Posted:
yeah - maybe. I think they make it temptning to stress about the difference between 4 and june! You try to cram so much in cos you're always on the move from one place or one person to another.....

.......that's just the effect it has on me. I was nicer and less stressed without one. I never used to get cross if people didn't call for one thing biggrin confused

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I don't know if fire spinners have cornered the market on being flakey. Seems to me that most artsy-fartsy types have that tendency.

Raph

Page: