Forums > Social Chat > Fire Spinners are the Biggest Flakes in the World.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That's right! I said it! Hate me if you must, but it's true.

Maybe there are flakier groups out there, but I've never met them. I've been a memeber of many different groups growing up: Musicians, Swing Dancers, Actors, Chemistry Majors, Teachers, Students, Cashiers, Referees, Activity Planners, Promoters, Protesters, New Yorkers and many others...

NOBODY flakes more than Firespinners.

If 100 firespinners say they'll DEFINITELY be at an event, count on 12. If they say they'll be there by noon, don't even leave your house til 2. I've had people who live 5 minutes away show up 6 HOURS late to things. Actually, I've had spinners show up a DAY late without even calling! (No, not you Pele, you were at least busy!!)

I don't understand how in every other area of my life, people have no trouble getting to where they're going, but the second you get firespinners involved it becomes, as my old buddy Nyx would say "Herding Kittens".

Is it the same elsewhere in the world? How do others deal with it? Why is it particular to spinners? Do people have any understanding as to how RUDE it is? Or are they all to self involved to care about the way they might impact another's life? (I do believe that people who are notoriously late must, on some level, be intrinsicly selfish. Many don't even realize why.)

I've learned that if a firespinner commits to something, I should probably just treat it as a remote possiblity, plan as if it's NOT going to happen, and be happy on the off chance it does. I'm not actually angry about it. I got over that long ago. I'm more confused and puzzled.

What's WRONG with you people? biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't count. To a fault, I will be where I say I will be, doing what I say I will be doing, when I say I'll be there.

I'm so reliable, it's pathetic. rolleyes

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
We're spethal. biggrin

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'm right there with ya Lightning...I'm usually 5 minutes early too.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
A Spinner is never late nor early. He arrives precisely when he means to....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
biggrin Sorry, i am always late. Does seem to run in the family though. No exuses, i'm always sorry i am late, i am just agreeing... yep, always late.

"herding kittens" ubblol
ubbrollsmile

Sorry.
weavesmiley hug

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Im just about always early, rediculously so. And i always turn up to things i say i will turn up to. I sound really sad!! biggrin

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
get yo' bitches in gear NYC.

everywhere else in the world is doing fine. it must just be a testament to your motivational capabilities.

wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Better late than pregnant.... eek

No, I know what you are talking about. I have a spinner friend who had his tikets to Burnning Man, and didn't show up!! How much of a flake is that!! They only lived 8 hours from the festival, and had a car to get there!

I once taught Poi/Staff lessons for a while, but got frustrated b/c no one would show, or they would be way to late to do anything. Its ok though, I practiced in the space for free ubblol

I try not to be late for anything, and if I decide to go somewhere, I try my hardest to get there. ubbangel

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

get yo' bitches in gear NYC.

everywhere else in the world is doing fine. it must just be a testament to your motivational capabilities.

wink

Nice try cutie, but I've BEEN to Te Pooka. You guys are way worse than us. It's all Kenn's fault though, right? eek

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Cheers NYC, for bringing this up.

Unlike you, in the past i've found this problem with pretty much most of the people in my life; it's pretty soul destroying to be surrounded by people like that because it can make you feel really crap about yourself.

I sussed out that the reason was that I hung around with the wrong people, made worse by the fact that I'm heavily into juggling/poi/skills stuff which sems to attract more than its share of unreliables.

These days I give most people 2 shots, if they forget to turn up, or turn up late than I'm finished with them, not in the sense that I'm never going to see them or talk to them, but in the sense that I'm not going to be wasting my time arranging to meet up, or take them seriously as potential friends.

As I'm moving into setting up various projects in the community, I'm very sensitive to peoples reliability, I can't afford the risk of being let down.

As to why some people are so unreliable, here's my thoughts: -

1. they genuinly don't realise how upsetting it is
2. they're stoned all the time
3. they don't care
4. it's seen as 'uncool' to be reliable

two quotes from this very thread: -
Quote:

Im just about always early, rediculously so. And i always turn up to things i say i will turn up to. I sound really sad!! biggrin

Quote:

I'm so reliable, it's pathetic. rolleyes

shows that the 'uncool' misconception isn't just held by unreliables! Last week at the juggling society meeting, after previous disorganised disasters where nothing was decided, someone actually apologised for bringing 'minutes' i.e. a list of things to cover!

Needless to say, it was the best and most productive meeting of recent times.

Astro, if I ever had to set anything up that relied on someone being reliable, you'd be my first choice cos I know that

a. you'd do what you said you were going to do

and, just as important

b. if you had doubts about whether you had the time, you'd say no, rather than saying yes and hoping for the best.

It's important to not just complain about unreliables, we have to take responsibility by not apologising for being organised/reliable, and getting across the message that being late is far from 'cool' and that it is actually disrespectful and hurtful; if it continues then simply cease to take that individual seriously- find some decent friends.

This has been a 'one wheel rant'. smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I agree, lateness and people being unreliable is very frustrating, If people are going to be late, phone and let someone know!! Its not that hard these days where everyone and their dog has a mobile phone!!

I have a couple of friends who are well known for being late - so much so, that everyone arranges to meet them 30 mins before we are actually meeting up!!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Hehe,
The generalisation doesn't work for me... I don't know many fire spinning people but I try to be on time, to the best of my ability but relying on the public transport here tends to be a bit more wishful thinking than time management.
Like I say I try to be on time, if someone else disrespects me by being late it's like they're saying it's not so important and yeah it sometimes hurts.
My evening class teacher tends to be half an hour late at some times. We have an OFSTED inspection soon, she's asked us all to be in attendance and to be on time. She says she's going to plan the lesson for us, like a goddam play??? What? OFSTED are there to inspect lessons not acting ability!!
Anyway, time... she turns up late most of the time, then expects us to be on time?
Another example of non fire spinny people: My friend, is always late, especially if it's just a social call, I used to be waiting for her in the rain and cold so now I time myself to meet up with her lateness... I'm not sure how it works but it works.

Hope time sorts itself out for you guys... I don't like clocks, they rule our lives. We used to wake up and go to sleep with the sun... now clocks are everything... "If only I had more time" is said waaaay too much in England by my thinking

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
if i say im going to be somewhere at a particular time i almost always am.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, it's pretty much the same here. It's called juggler time. It's annoying faffing.

I'm late far too often, and I'm one of these people who gets anxious about it. I'll be at a plane's gate when it starts boarding and make evil eyes at the last people to board, clutching their duty free; I'll get to a meeting early so I know I have time to make sure I can find the place, etc... If I want to get somewhere on time I don't like faffing. And I feel guilty if I don't make something I've said I will and do my best to let people know.

I think as a lot of social situations within some groups are very flexible and that thinking carries across in thier dealings with the outside word. I think the stoner attitude makes a contribution, but generaly it's that many of us with a relaxed attitude do not realise how it can affect those who do not share similar views. And other times it is just plain thoughtfulness.

Socks. Pull them up.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I generally try to stick to the good ol saying..

'To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is unacceptable.'

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm with ya on that one NYC. i always show up if i saw i will (barring all emergencies), though i do occasionally run on the late side (not too terribly late though, and i'll usually call). i won't say all firespinners, but a good many of the ones i know are pretty flakey. and it's quite annoying.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

shows that the 'uncool' misconception isn't just held by unreliables!

True. However, having said that, people tend to trust me because they figure out really quickly that 99% of the time, I'll do what I say, and the other 1% of the time is generally for a good reason.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

(No, not you Pele, you were at least busy!!)

And I called you that night, and I was across the street from your place tho you weren't there, and I was there waiting for you the next day and I hung with you an hour and a half longer than I thought I would be able to! See? Even when I am late (or lost in Manhattan!) I make up for it! wink

Seriously though, at past gatherings I have been on time or early. Usually I run about 5 minutes behind so I learned to schedule things 30 min earlier for myself! biggrin However I can remember a few gatherings when I would be there waiting for hours for someone to show up, and the only reason I didn't leave was because I travelled hours to get there! Dancers can be the same way.

Around here we call it mormon standard time because every single mormon we know it perpetually late by more than 30 minutes, at least.

But then I have this theory....you are only late when you get there...until then, you are right on time! smile

Was great seeing you btw NYC. Big real hugs and kisses to you! hug kiss wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Around here we call it mormon standard time because every single mormon we know it perpetually late by more than 30 minutes, at least.

Really? Not the Mormons around here. They're painfully punctual. Even more than me. And they manage to pull it off without coffee, which is impressive. They must make defective Mormons in New York...

I do want to go on record as saying that when I got to London, Hels Bells and BamBam were waiting right there outside customs waiting for me as planned.

hug hug

-Mike

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sorry for being not-early to this thread wink
my clock is set at a prime number of minutes early so that i can't figure out and 'adjust' to the punctuality benefits.
being late or dealing someone who is, is a test of character. i believe that being late does not make you necessarily mean, but how you respond to your lateness does.

lurch, i really like your quote. and your nose. biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I've had a very good school-related excuse every time I've flaked!

(Oh, that's sort of the point, isn't it. ^^;;)

E pluribus unum, baby.

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
The only spinner who ever let me down personally was in jail, so he has an excuse.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
This is an occurence with the 'hippy set' of spinners, as it is with the hippy set anywhere, and I hate to say it, but those of us who have been in the spinning community for any period of time should be able to spot such latecomers a mile off ans hsouldn't expect them to be on time.

It's like getting upset when an egg breaks after getting dropped!

We are all entitled to get frustrated when unexpected things happen, but perhaps it's time to look inside ourselves a bit when expected things frustrate us too.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i used to travel an hour and half to go and see the sheff crew during the PIP season!

you cant get more willing than that?

and while most of the time i was early, sometime i have been late, but hey im a guy, we are supposed to be shite!

still i know what you mean, amy a time i have ended up waiting of rppl to arrive to play, or even to go out, and yes most of the time i am 5mins late for ppl, but never for anything importnat, or if i have said i will be there, then I WILL BE THERE!

laterdays, im off to go be late for some staff training on how toi use a digital camera and printer (but this latness is allowed as i am giving the traiuning, and the staff are all fooking dumb! they can use a pinter!)

Step (el-nombrie)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I think out our way they kinda gave up being truly organised. It seems to work so much better when you just let go of the reins and let the horse wander towards the water for a drink.

That being said, starting up new events is next to impossible. I have seen a couple of very talented people try and fail.

hug

Don't worry, firespinners are real flake-y kittens and total cool cats. And they probably have immense respect for you for being the one organised one in their midst.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I'm one of those people who's early for everything, except work. I'll be the first to arrive at parties, but somehow I can't seem to make it to work on time.

Turning up late when meeting a bunch of people is not really too bad, but leaving an individual standing around waiting for you is just plain rude. In cases like that I'll just up and leave.

I don't even own a watch or a clock at home but I do have a clock on my mobile phone which is always set 10 mins ahead of time rolleyes

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i think it's pretty much the same for all groups of people. Being stoners doesn't help the situation, but all people do it. I run an Amnesty International group on campus with about 90 members, which starts the year with 65 attending meetings, and by easter about 2. People just can't be arsed, but when they pay for a year's membership up front then don't use it, there's all the more money to use for those of us who do show up. Infact the way we do our budget now counts on this fact. I organise quite a few pub crawls each year at uni, and the the turn out is normally pretty good. But, if i arrange a start time, you can almost guarantee no one will arrive within the first 20 minutes, and the bulk of people an hour late. So i sit in the bar on my own looking like a sad basterd, txting my imaginary friends tongue

I've generally found the attendance rate to things, out of the poeple who say they will definately come is about 20%. This might be slightly lower for spinners, say 10%, but it generally depends on weather, sometimes it's really good, but many spinners seem to melt at the first few drips of rain. People have all sorts of reasons for being lame, but it is totally rude and unacceptable when they say they'll do something right up to the last minute, then disappear without a trace. I have no problems whatsoever with anyone who says they can't make something in advance, or when they don't show tell the truth, but i've heard some really cringeworthy excuses in the past, and it makes you wonder why you bother, especially when you've spent time, money, pulled favours etc to get something to happen. The simple fact is that there's very few people around willing to make things happen, and my experience is that if you wait around for someone else to do things they probably won't. Everynow and then things come together, and you can be sure that someone else will probably claim they did it rolleyes

Personally i always try to copy and bring into my own life the the qualities of people i respect and admire. I remember when i was a teenager a guy who had a reputation for always showing up to things at the time said, even if he only said he might be able to make it. If not, call in advance. To me this was a quality really worth having, and as i'd want people to do the same to be, i'd be a hypocrit not to follow it.
EDITED_BY: flid (1076417246)

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I have tried to run a fire troupe and after many attempts I have given up.

The problem was not the lack of gigs but a lack of people willing to do them. I organised a group meeting once, 12 people were supposed to turn up in a park and nobody came. I stood there in the cold for an hour and not one person even phoned to say they were not going to turn up.

Now I have learnt my lesson and arrange for people to come to my house instead so I can wait in the warm doing stuff. Although that has not changed anything there have been several times I tried to get people to come over and I spend ages waiting, I have called them to confirm the day before as I usually do, then I sit and wait and they do not turn up and they do not answer their mobiles and do not call me and have only apologised a few days later.

Yes I do think it is rude and these people do not think about the person waiting for them or try to consider that I have put my life on hold waiting for people to turn up. I have better things to do with my time than waiting for people who have no intention of coming and do not have the decency to call me to let me know they cannot make it.

I have since given up organising anything which means I have to rely on other fire spinners because of this behaviour. I think it is much better to rely on myself because that is the only way to get things done.

but...

I do know that if people would work together then you can achieve much more and I hope this attitude will change in the future or the poi community scene will stagnate in my opinion.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmm... I guess I should be flattered that 20-30 people do show up to my events. Some of them even on time.

I'm just feeling that people who say they'll be somewhere and then aren't are being rude. It becomes the 'boy who cried wolf'. "Love" and "Hugs" and "PLUR" and such all become hollow if people don't even have the common courtesy to take someone else's time into account. It seems that everyone is all " kiss hug beerchug" but has no problem making a 'friend' stand in the park alone for hours without even calling. Is it THAT difficult to show respect for another? Or are firespinners by nature such an egotistical, "Ma look at me!" bunch that there is no one of consiquence other than one's ego? This seems to be becoming a larger issue than simple tardyness...

frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
NYC = Biggest whinger in the world tongue wink

Yeah it can be annoying waiting for people sometimes. But it's equally annoying having punctuality nazis acting like you've stabbed them in the face because you got a bit held up.

Dude, carry a book around with you, and more importantly a cellphone.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Page: