Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Preview show by Chimaera, 21st, in Bristol

Login/Join to Participate

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Hello as some of might be aware me and some other bristol spinner have been putting together a fire show with costumes, fire swords, 12ft staffs and a few more surprises. Scenes we've got our first paid gig on the 27th we thought it'd be a good idea to do a dress rehearsal on the 21st and cos we've been working on it for ages we'd like to show it off to as many people as possible biggrin. So if you can get to Bristol on the 21st your invited (anyone from London or closer has no excuse) we can provid crash place for anyone not in bristol as long as you give us a bit of advanced warning. That about it so come along, bring all your friends and beerchug and if all goes well you'll get to enjoy an amazing fire display.

Oh yeah, we'll put out some details to where and when nearer the time.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
Sounds good. Keep us posted on when and where it's gonna be and i'll definately be there. I've never seen a proper choreographed fire show before! eek

I'll try and make it down for the thing on wednseday as well - good idea to set up a regular spin by the way, no more excuse for me not to get off my arse and set fire to some stuff!

weavesmiley

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
thought it was about time i put up details of where and when. We're 95% sure it's going to be 8:30 at college green (that's unless the council change there minds) if not then we'll still all turn up and try to do it anyway. The shows about 30mins and afterward we'll be having a party at Laura's. Ok don't think there any more details then that so i'll hopfully c u down there.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
WICKED!! I'll be in Clifton for the weekend so I'll be there to watch you guys spin yo thang!!

College Green will be a wicked place for a big show (I often spin there myself!)....shall we all bring Kero anyway for the after show shennanigans?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
can't make it this time but good luck! smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Yay!!!! biggrin
8:30 college green, followed by a houseparty? what more could one want!!!???

Its going to be wicked! (not that I am biased at all!) weavesmiley

In any case its going to be majorly fun, I just hope it isn't too cold, cos I am only an ickle mexican boy with warm blood who can't take all this english weather nonsense... ubbrollsmile

anyway, c u all there!
cheers,
Ben peace

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Big Up to the Chimaera!! Top show tonight guys, good luck with it I'm sure you'll do well...and those creases won't take much ironing! beerchug

I got some MP4 video clips, and a couple piccies if anyones interested? Not great cuz they're off my phone but not too bad! weavesmiley

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
good to hear it went well guys

good luck with the real thing next week...

smiles
Rob hug

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone who was there beerchug wave - it was an absolutely amazing night (and busy day ubbloco ) Hopefully see you on wednesday for some normal spinning

Mike

P.S. Any productive criticism about the show is highly appreciated !! Feel free to fire away ...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok productive critisism is good.....

Maybe speed up your time between changes...ie have another person back stage to help manage the extinguishing/lighting for you who knows all the sequences with plan to follow. There were some long gaps with nobody out front but maybe it only seemed it cuz it was sooo dammmmn cold! brrrr..that Bristol wind bites!

I'm a planner so I'd suggest system mapping your show, (work backward from end of show to start, write what you need at each point then back track each step of how you get it until you hit the beginning) including all the backstage details then produce a plan for the entire show in running order. You can then ensure everything is laid out/prepared in the order you'll need it everytime and you can combat a lot of problems this way.

The lanterns around the outside nearly all died after about 10 mins, shame cuz they looked dead good when they were burning. Perhaps some garden oil burners (the ones on tall sticks, I think about £4 from Homebase type places) would be a worth while investment.

Apart from that it was great, the spinning was fab and the occaisional drop went pretty much unnoticed. I like the way the show mixes flags, staff, poi, iron filings, led staff and glo-sticks to tell the story....and the 12foot staff looked really cool in the big battle scene!! The make-up and outfits were all really cool too.

So basically the show went well, but occaisionally lost some fluidity but I'm sure that'll pass in time as you gain experience.

Congrats and I can't wait to see it again! beerchug

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Custom Bug,

thanks a lot for the feedback - Yes we probably need two people who know the scenes etc... one like you say for making sure props are ready etc.. the other one to do the music (damn the f**king cd player mad smile) - ultimately we'll have all the music edited to fit exactly the length of routines etc so that one only has to press play and go but there should still be someone in control in case things get delayed etc.

Stageing - yep i thing there are quite a few things that need working on - the lamps of course need redesgning they really didn't work very well (we were meant to have two of those for lighting props with backstage - but they went out too). Also the white backdrops: people have said to me that one could basically see everything through them - so we'll probably paint them or so. Tehe - also fireproofing might be an idea - did anyone see the little spark flying off a staff that almost set fire to one of the backdrops ubbangel ??

Otherwise - i was amazed it all worked out alrightish - next one is friday at the law ball - and after that - who knows?! Hopefully at a few of the university balls towards the summer - spread the word !

cu soon

Mike

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Yaaaaay, we actually put on something that we can call a fire show beerchug

admittedly it not there yet and we've learnt huge amounts from Saturday like hit the f**cking stero with a staff if it ever does that to us again mad and don't do preview shows in the middle of winter.

Custom Bug thanks of the criticism keep it coming

Blue cat thanks for the support must say tepooka has been one of our biggest inspiration and has given us a high standard to aim for

and cheers every one who came along hopefully it was worth getting cold for

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the feedback Custom Bug, would there be a way of getting hold of the video... I'm in the process of making a video with some other footage we got from saturday and any aditional footage would be great... Thanks also to everyone who braved the cold and came to show

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
that was fun!!!
:P
cheers for the criticism custom bug, we need all the feedback we can get if we're to improve.
I think a working sound system would be a very good way forwards and more help and organisation backstage is also a good one. It still needs work, but the dress rehearsal showed us how far its come along since we first conceptualised it.
maybe I'll remember more of my part next time...
doh! peace

So live it.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've sent the vids to my PC to have a look but they're MP4 and the only thing I can play them on is my phone!! Damn technology!! Any ideas what I can use to play MP4 or change them to mpeg maybe?
My photos all turned out crap but Aiden took a few and I can't wait to see those biggrin

Oh yeah and the stereo......bad luck on that one!! What happenned to it? It wasn't a happy bunny at all!!

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
the latest divx player should be able to play it for you, it supports mp4, if not download this codec file and it should work...

cheers beerchug
Ben
PS I think the stereo just doesn't like us or has taken a secret vow of silence...

So live it.

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
So - how did it go ? Tell me tell me tell me :bounce: biggrin ubbrollsmile:
Can't wait to be back - so enoyed i couldn't be there ! mad

Anyway - see you next weekend,

Mike hug

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
smile smile smile Was grate fun the lighting and staging looked grate together, actually having sound and Jim mixing helped huge amounts. Also having everyone in costume made it easy to get into character. The actual show could have been abit tighter and still afew breaks to the action but it was alot better than last week also am not going to be truly happy till it’s inch prefect.

Think we've got lots of good footage but unfortunately the tape were taken to London b4 i was up this morning. Afterwards stayed around the ball for abit and just so much red wine bottle scattered about the place that i felt it my duty to lighten there load. Then went back to Laura's drunk more smoked more and the woke up in my bed umm (i think the wine pixies stole some of my memories). beerchug hug ubbloco