Page:
CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Hey I need some advice, I got a staff a while ago and its nice and all as it is but I feel like doing some modifications to it so I can get the most out of it. The middle of the staff where the grip is has a foam kinda grip which is kinda bulky especially for my short fingers so Im feeling like it should come off but I am afraid that the heat from the ends of the staff will make the middle too hot. The staff is only 4' long so the heat kinda transfers evenly throughout the staff. I did my own sealing on the ends and compared to before its much better but it still gets some what warm. I dont know what to use to 1.) better seal the ends, 2.) Use as a grip when the foam is off since only bare aluminum is under there and 3.) make the ends heavier so I can do some contact staff. After watching Poiintheparks staff vids and especially "Black and Blue" I wanna learn more smile Thanks a bunch, cheers wave

-Brett

A cute girl after I finished spinning fire at this party :
"OMG ur soo hot!" biggrin

I love being a fire spinner

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Ok, in order:
1. This really depends how the wicks are attached. If they're screwed into a chunk of wood that's sat in the end of the staff then it's pretty much sealed already.
You can however, also cover the ends in car bodywork filler, which will completely seal the end off and also help with point 3. while you're at it smile
2. Personally I use grip tape for hockey sticks or tennis rackets but there's plenty of tape you can find that's thinner and still gives a decent amount of grip. I don't know what the shops are like near you though, so go shopping and see what you can find.
3. Add a whole load more wick wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
1. I use wood dowel in the end and then cover the end in Aluminium tape to protect the wood. I think Aluminium foil might also work.
2. I also use tennis grip but on one of my staffs I use an ol inner tube off a bicyle.
3. what Bov said biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
on a sillyer note, i like to use a swedish made staff improver...
/runs

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Zinc Oxide Tape (used for climbing; I don't know if it's the same as Tennis/Hockey tape); Good grip and after some serious illicit staff lovin' develops a nice worn in feel.

Also something I've been doing a LOT for the last few months is to have a "mini staff" that's about 20" long (made out of simple ol' dowel); enables a lot of indoor practice, and the learning curve is steep since you want to avoid breaking things.. This rules cause it is easily converted into a Glo-stick staff for those parties that won't let you play with fire.. rolleyes

For the keen I also have a pocket size travel staff that extends (think radio ariels), for those many hours spent in train stations and airports...

Have fun, hope this helps weavesmiley

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Actually there is no reason to have your staff sealed, its a myth. Mine is way better without any wood or something jamed into it, and it makes this crazy sound like a light saber, as the wind blows the fire throught the inside, also keeps the hands nice and warm in winter. So unless its putting off 10' fireballs, i wouldn't worry bout it. peace
The only reason i can see for sealing it up with wood is to hold the kev on good, but if the kev is on sweet, there's no reason. Mind u, im sure someone will come up with some random idea, to make u think you need it. biggrin

AzzorBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
I find that having wood in the ends of my staff (1.5m 20mm diameter Al tube, with 10cm wood at each end) gives it a more balanced feel. However, i cant back this up with any theory. Ideas anyone?

Rohan

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
It's absolutely true you don't need the ends plugged.

My current doubles were originally unplugged.

However I can honestly, honestly say that I like them waaaaay more plugged. It's not just the Kevlar but because there is more weight in the ends of the sticks it means that the stick has more momentum.

Momentum = mass * velocity

Which among other things means better for contact because momentum can be maintained with less speed and hence more control.

I feel they spin better too....not in a way I can explain but they seem to twirl way easier and it feels like the weight in the ends contributes to this. confused

The stuff in blue is what I think and could have absolutely no truth to it. ubbangel

On the up side Taniwha you only have to light one side of your staff to you'll look cooler every time biggrin

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
I had a shorter staff.. around 3 feet or so. I stupidly left the ends unplugged, and subsequently, the flame kept shooting down the tube and out the other side.. It was kinda cool though, seeing as how I only had to light one side! But eventually, the tube started heating up really fast, and I had to drop it. Now I'm making the staff the other way around.. hardwood for the body, and 2 copper piping ends for the wicking. The thing's a beast ubbloco.. CirRus can attest to that. Just to let ya'll know, he did eventually plug the ends with about 7" of wood dowel. But keep this topic going! It's fun and exciting.. and maybe Pounce'll come in and turn it X-Rated.. hehe

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I do a lot of performing on concrete and tiles and would only recommend unsealed ends if you don't plan to spin over hard surfaces.

If you do, drops will eventually mean the end of the staff will be sharp and jagged. It won't be that noticeable by the naked eye, until you tap yourself on the cheek or back of the palm and it leaves a nasty jagged slice...

In my opinion, of course...

PVA is a really good glue for sealing the ends, and covering already jagged ends too!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
indeed

three cheers for pva wood glue, it's widespread availability, and the superbly useful way in which heat causes it to only harden further.

hip hip...

no? noone else cheering for pva?

frown

well i like it anyway... ubblove

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hip Hip Hooray!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
PVA glue is great for fixing fraying wick; but u knew that.

I tried that ‘kneed-it” stuff for plugging staff ends, but I found it to be brittle and eventually it just cracked out smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Hmmm yes thank u heXus rolleyes

Yea I sealed ma baby and its much better now, still kinda slippery cause all I have is electrical tape as grip for now but hey at least its better at contact since its a bit heavier biggrin

Now whats all this aboot PVA glue. I gotta get some.

A cute girl after I finished spinning fire at this party :
"OMG ur soo hot!" biggrin

I love being a fire spinner

3,149 posts

Posted:
it's really thick white gloopy stuff that dries really slowly.

Kids in schools use it all the time cos it's pretty non-toxic. they can eat loads of it before they get sick ubbangel

You were probably using it to stick cardboard boxes and tubes together when you were about 6 smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Fallout and I were discussing this thread on sealing staff ends the other night. We both have scars under our eyes (but we still have our eyes), and we strongly disagree with what Taniwha07 and others have said regarding sealing staff ends, as summarised by this quote:
Quote:

Actually there is no reason to have your staff sealed, its a myth.

The main reason that I seal the end of my staff end is for safety . An unsealed tube will cause more damage then a sealed end. I also recommend letting the wick hang over the staff end a bit. This will reduce the impact of any face/staff collisions. Hope this helps smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
ok so I sealed my staff by planing down some wooden dowel (not sure what wood it was) and shoving it in each end of my stick real tight, then screwing through the wick and the aluminium and the wood. but after a couple of burns the wood totally charred and is pretty much fooked. Should have realised that wood is flamable. So what did I do wrong? Is there some sort of sealant I should be using to stop this happening? confused
biggrin

progger

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
My wood got burnt but still worked fine confused Maybe there was more air around the wood or something?

When I re-wicked my stick, I did put aluminium tape over the ends (and wood) to seal it. Tin Foil'd probably work too.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
good point I could do with some of that aluminium tape.. I dunno if I can be arsed resealing my stick tho it took ages to shave the dowel down to the right diameter umm
cheers mate wave

progger

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
nay worries smile

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
For metal a metal staff my suggestion on this is if you use something like what I have (stainless steel piping more or less) plug it with bolts. Leaves a nice smooth end on it. The one thing you need to be aware of for that is for attaching the wicks, if you use screws through the pipe, you'll need to do it slighly off center as the bolts will be in the way. Either use steel apoxy or weld the bolts in would be my suggestion for that--the end of the bolts should be about the same width as the pipe is conveniently enough. . .least mine are. And if you want grip on the inside of tube for the bolts, have errr. . .*can't remember name* the things you screw onto them. . .hexagon/octagon things that go onto screws/bolts. Position those so they take up the majority of the bolt, but leave room for the screw to sneak inbetween. Fix them inplace with either welding/soldering/apox and they create more room for the bolts to grab onto, and add weight to your staff ends.

From personal experience I highly recommend plugging up a metal staff's ends. Due to the opening flame gets inside and can easily heat up the air. That'll make your staff heat up very quickly in just 1-2 spins (especially if it's steel, not so sure about aluminum). And as noted the sharp edges cut very very well if you are spinning at a quick pace--I got the scars to prove it.

Oh btw, making a staff like that--especially from steel--makes it very heavy compared to most wood or aluminum staffs. At least 5lbs, maybe upwards to 8-9lbs depending on what you've used. Lots of momentum, but takes a fair bit of strength to keep in control. And as for contact staff. . . with weight like that the staff can't go to slowly or else it will stall on it's own. You have to do it at a decent pace I've found. But then again, contact isn't my forte.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Dunno what happened with your plugs BoomShankar. I've had no trouble plugging the aluminium ends on my staff, even when I used shelite (white gas), perhaps foolishly as fuel, in the past.

With my wooden broom handle size staffs (1" ~ 25mm dowel) I've found that in Australia you can get Al tube that fit snugly over that size dowel. With smaller diameter pipe the fit is not as snug and u may have to use glue of some kind. Epoxies seem to get brittle; silicon can withstand heat, but may not be as good with a naked flame. White/craft/aquadhere type glues may be ok if the gap is not too big.

Welding plugs into Al tube could be tricky. You may be able to buy screw in fittings, especially if u are using the type of tube they use to make Concentrate staffs (See HOP shop). So as a suggestion, check out your local Super Dooper Wal/K mart hardware type store for inspiration and pipe-fittings.

In Oz, people started out with wick, probably cotton, attached to broom handle. This progressed to using an Al can, possibly a beer or cola can, to protect the wood, then to Al tube and kevlar.

Good Luck

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm,

i have bolts, and other wise open.

for ages now ive wanted to close it, cos its heating up too much.

the thing is, i kneed to get back in to change the wick.

I like bolts, they never come out, the dont burn away and they improve the momentum of my staff.

if i plug it with exaust putty or something.... will it crack off again so i can replace the wicks?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
You could always plug it with a slightly larger closed piece of metal that stays inplace with the bolts...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
on my new set of double staves Ive plugged the ends with dowel and then stuck 5 pence coins on top of this with normal superglue for a more fire-proofed seal. They are wedged in real tight- since it was taking me ages to file them to the right diameter I wedged them in at the first opportunity and I cant see them coming out just by spinning and dropping my staves without them set alight.

But what I wanna know, without having to find out the hard way, is what effect the fire will have on the glue cause I dont wanna be sending red hot 5p's into my mates eyeballs or anything. eek Does anyone think this sealing method is a bit of a safety issue? and is there any glue that would be better to use than normal superglue? beerchug

progger

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hummm, its not a bad idea charles, one question, how am i going to get at the bottom of the bolts to fix it if its covering the bottom of the bolts? confused

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Boomshanker...Superglue is not a good glue to use if it is likely to suffer from multiple impacts...

That means drops on hard surfaces smile

Believe it or not, but the ordinary household PVA is one of the best glues for fire gear, as it hardens with heat, and you can always add extra layers everynow and then if you get worried. (An extra layer of superglue isn't very useful).

Nx.

I would cut a nut shaped hole in one side of the outer tube, insert said nut into it and then screw the bolt into that. You should then be able to seal the nut end of the bolt with PVA, but still be able to use a screwdriver to take the bolt out from the other end if needed...

Does that make sense?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

3,149 posts

Posted:
Plugging the ends of a staff, eh...

i generally use turf for that purpose, not entirely deliberately.

it seems to work pretty well as insulation, it's cheap and easily available smile

not the most conventionally aesthetic of materials though...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
sim as i showed you last week i have used a set of metal domes and covers to protect teh ends of my staff from inpacts, what do you think to them?

better than turf dont you think?

Step (el-nombrie)

3,149 posts

Posted:
they are very cool

but i like turf

its biodegradable, self-renewing, you can draw on walls with it and sometimes it's even got crunchy bits in smile

but isn't a screwed in cathedral wick or monkey fist the best thing for plugging the end of a staff? ubbangel

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
very sexy mr monkey sir!

very big to, i didnt get to play wit them, i think you were holding them away from we, after i spilt your cup of tea, monkey hugging you! biggrin

but

yes, they looked very nice, if a lil out of perspective, on a set of nesbit staff, thin tiny staffs, with HUGE MONSTOR wicks! but coooooooooool!

Step (el-nombrie)

Page: