Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Tangles Galore! (hyperloop\airwrap links)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Lots of useful threads about hyperloops\airwraps\knots\tangles\nexuseses\randy badgers.

Please post random rubbish in this thread to keep it bumped biggrin

Read These First

Airwraps and Hyperloops

A funky article by Dom, introducing and explaining the terms airwrap and hyperloop.

Includes this important observation:
Written by: "Dom"

"The word "hyperloop" was first used on this board by Glass in October 2002. Since then there has been constant debate about what a hyperloop actually is. Ultimately a hyperloop is part of the airwrap family of moves and it doesn't actually matter what it is or what it's called as long as you're having fun."

[Old link]

an excellent 'how-to' guide for the most basic tangling move from Professor Coleman. The thread that started me hitting my poi together on purpose.

[Old link]

This thread is basically what got all the techie people into Hyperloops and Isolations. Here you can verify that this stuff is all Glass’ fault spank

It's massive and has lots of interesting stuff (if you skim past the occasional bout of arguments/accusations)

Butterfly Threads

[Old link]

Dom & Dantana explain the whole tangly butterfly thingy

[Old link]

Dantana, Coleman, Poibox and Nix? explain the whole tangly butterfly thingy

[Old link]

includes MORE useful stuff about butterfly thingies from Dr Dantana. He knows his thingies he does…

[Old link]

Starts off describing recoil-wrapping one-poi from a butterfly tangle. Goes into more general butterfly tangly advice.

Buzzsaw Threads

[Old link]

In fact… it’s a tangled buzzsaw smile

[Old link]

OK thread, but not enormously informative or helpful.

[Old link]

advice on how to keep buzzsaw tangles going. Good stuff.

[Old link]

Oli explains stuff about adding and removing twists from tangly buzzsaws (with nice diagrams smile )

[Old link]

not particularly informative or helpful

Helpful Theoretical Type Threads

[Old link]

More than what it says in the title. Messed up tangly conversations.

[Old link]

i reckon this is a very useful thread for advancing your understanding of tangles in general.

[Old link]

The effects of rotating hands contrary to spin direction. Reducing the amount of time you spend untangled.

[Old link]

Horizontal tangly stuff and a bit of general chatter. Definitely worth checking out.

Wierd Moves n Stuff…

[Old link]

Three awesome new tangly moves (with video) from the Reverend Rev

[Old link]

another great thread by le chat bleu with many funky ideas to play with…

[Old link]

Good description of and advice about… between the legs airwraps

[Old link]

(but... aren't all hyperloops atomic? confused)

[Old link]

Groovy idea from Tommy Nixford. Needs long poi.

[Old link]

Stuff about how to get lots of beats in airwraps

[Old link]

Stuff about how to get lots of beats in airwraps. again...

[Old link]

stuff about tangling poi then stalling them...

[Old link]

"...like some freaky astrojack/meteor mutant monster!"

[Old link]

Horizontal tangled throws from Dr Dantana

[Old link]

“you can put bouncy balls in socks then go tangle tangle bounce bounce tangle bounce.”

That’s about the size of it. It’s a short thread smile

Other Useful Bits

[Old link]

General advice about learning. Very useful.

[Old link]

Argh! Terminology debate! Mummy, i’m scared...

[Old link]

sometimes hyperloops make you sad PART ONE! :sad:

[Old link]

sometimes hyperloops make you sad PART TWO! ubbcrying

Only included for the sake of completeness

[Old link]

Given it's useful sounding title, this thread is quite shockingly pointless ubblol

[Old link]

Some stuff about turning with hyperloops. Not enormously useful.

[Old link]

Some random stuff – ball chain, 3 beat corkscrews, teabags and cone-shaped gravity…

[Old link]

Mainly descends into terminology confusion frown

[Old link]

simple question? About hyperloops? ubblolubblolubblolubblol

[Old link]

oh god, don’t mention fountains, you’ll only upset cole…

EDITED_BY: simian (1099872099)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

t0xicmember
54 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ok, this one really is a new move, sorta, whatever...hyperbuzzsaw

um that is called an orbital airwrap where i come from....i do a lot of them in my vid, in the vid section here... weavesmiley

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

ok, this one really is a new move, sorta, whatever...hyperbuzzsaw

um that is called an orbital airwrap where i come from....i do a lot of them in my vid, in the vid section here... weavesmiley

If I'm not mistaken, "glowstringers" (is that what they like to be called?) have been doing this move for some time along with bunch of other crazy tangle stuff.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Nice one Simian!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

3,149 posts

Posted:
t0xic, titles are those of the person that made the thread originally, not of me.

Please direct replies to the threads, not to this list of links.

Cheers smile

BTW, i happen to know from recently discovered cave art that BTB orbital airwraps were being performed by Stone Age Jedi as far back as 4000BC, that move is soooo old skool tongue wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
that's the only problem I have with glowstringers... which is why I refuse to take their name.. I'm sick of people 'inventing' stuff.. that's already done.. but that's just my pet peeve... Then again, I don't see poi as a competition either..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I used to think i invented moves. Then I realised that the Patterns were there all the time and I just Discovered them. That's not to say that you can't be the first person in the world EVER to discover a pattern. But there's the collective conscious to take into account. Everyone's working on the same stuff you know. That's why I figure there's no point keeping secrets any more.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hear hear beerchug I agree with that PoiPoiPoi. Thats why I never call anything by a name. I just do it, show it and see it.
Once you get past a point in spinning you see that it is just connecting Circles, breaking circles, and tweeking and stalling circles. We live in a spear with infinite movements, we are just scratching the serface of the dance however. ubbrollsmile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Yeah, I used to think i invented moves. Then I realised that the Patterns were there all the time and I just Discovered them. That's why I figure there's no point keeping secrets any more.

¦m¦

exactly.. I've stated this same thing numerous places..

t0xicmember
54 posts

Posted:
if that was directed at me, i nev er said i invented it, i was just stating what it was called...instead of "long tangle ariwrap" or whatever was posted..

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I didn't say you did... I'm just saying that -most- of the glowstringers do that.. get on GSC and ask what somethings are..

you're cool.. I won't be so rude as to go off naming names.. but I'm sure you remember reading some on GSC... and I'll be damned if I don't meet at least 2-3 kids at a big party that have names for moves that they/people they know "invented.." These are the same kidz that walk up to you and before they say hi, they say "wanna battle".. so of course I'm kinda biased in my opinoins.. didn't mean to offend ya or nothing..

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Quote:

These are the same kidz that walk up to you and before they say hi, they say "wanna battle"..

"Wanna Battle?" Wow. I can't even imagine someone asking me that. It's fortunate that I don't hang out in places that glowstringers frequent. If someone asked me if I wanted to battle, I'd probably get the wrong idea and start beating them with my fire poi.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i was just stating what it was called...instead of "long tangle ariwrap" or whatever was posted..

Yes, we must stop moves being called by the wrong name. Unfortunately you are still incorrect with the name you gave it, as the move in question told me itself that its name is Mildred wink

i hereby state the two LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE

(they're written in stone which is unbreakable y'know. Just ask Moses...)

1. Names are arbitrary tools for communication. Nothing has a 'real' or 'true' name.

2. Noone invents nothing (especially Edison and Gates). We're just Hamper feasting at different times (or something like that anyhow)

Thanks to glowstringers, tanglesockers and dirtychainers alike for the bumpage though

smile ubblove

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

These are the same kidz that walk up to you and before they say hi, they say "wanna battle"..

"Wanna Battle?" Wow. I can't even imagine someone asking me that. It's fortunate that I don't hang out in places that glowstringers frequent. If someone asked me if I wanted to battle, I'd probably get the wrong idea and start beating them with my fire poi.

bwahahah, no doubt...That would be a new one on me..Next response might be 'Chains, whips, staffs, meteor or swords?' rolleyes

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Quote:

"Wanna Battle?"

Hehe, I love it when people wanna battle with me. Then I don't feel guilty when I wipe the floor with them momooHahahaha HARRRR

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

1,148 posts

Posted:
umm I'm afraid I'm going to need to see a video of that cackle

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
Battle??? im so confuddled ive never come across such a thing in poi before
i wanna try so i can see what it is

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's

3,149 posts

Posted:
It's like you and the approving ninja doing your danger passing

only with more macho posturing

and less danger

and much much less funny usually

295 posts

Posted:
that sounds poo

1,148 posts

Posted:
is there money or sex involved?

Ars Pyronomica

3,149 posts

Posted:
In hyperloops and airwraps you mean?

Yes, usually both.

295 posts

Posted:
very true simain very true

1,148 posts

Posted:
ahh, I meant in battles wink

My randy badgers have gleaned me quite a bit of both already biggrin

Ars Pyronomica

3,149 posts

Posted:
By the way, it'd be a good idea to place comments amongst this important discussion thusly:

THE IMPORTANT STUFF IN THIS THREAD IS IN THE FIRST POST ON THE FIRST PAGE thankyouverymuchindeed ubbangel

cos the way i look at things, i'm on the second page already.

Now back to the matter in hand. Money and sex and their involvment in tangled socks.

1,148 posts

Posted:
absolutely...carry on then

Ars Pyronomica

3,149 posts

Posted:
Carry on what? I'd made my point already tongue

i believe you were about to expand on gleaning randy badgers...

*looks expectant*

1,148 posts

Posted:
right,

now the point I was going to make, that is the first thing I will talk about, not the second, which wouldn't be followed up by the third, but would come first, not after the last, which in fact would be the point of utmost importance, being the first and all, would be about gleaning your randy badger.

ahem..

Now, gleaning randy badgers is not an easy thing, however mooost rewarding for those who dare to involve themselves, in the act of gleaning randy badgers..

ahem..

A randy badger is not an easy thing to glean, nay the randy badger, being randy, will most likely go find something else to be randy with, especially whilst you are trying to spin your socks for it. This involves much speculation...

ahem...

This, however, would be where one might 'tangle' their socks to glean the randy badger...No no no..You cannot rush into gleaning your randy badger, especially if you want him/her to call you again the next day, being randy and all, etc..One must prepare the randy badger for gleaning by perhaps moving around a bit, you know, perhaps with a little shuffle, then moving on up to a complete 'butt wiggle'. It is at this point where you might begin to notice you have sparked interest in your randy prey, even to the point of shaking the little bugger off your leg. But don't tangle yet. Hold off...It is at this point where one would begin to spin their dirty old socks very fast, creating such a toxic wind that the badger is awestruck, or perhaps intoxicated. No no, no tangles...yet...

While you have the badger in such an intoxicated state, take a moment to get to know your prey a little longer. Ask it him/her what he/she likes best on toast, and if he/she likes tail up or down..Now is your time..Carefully take your dirty socks and quickly but efficiently tangle your socks right by the badgers head, squeezing the last of your intoxicating brew right into their nose(did I mention the socks should be very dirty?), dealing your prey it's last knockout blow..Voila..you have gleaned your badger..Now after you have dragged your badger home, your will light a few candles, put on a few... redface

Hmm, perhaps I should leave that one up to you?

Ars Pyronomica

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
not saying I don't enjoy a battle.. but that's all these kids have in their heads.. and it makes me want to just knock them upside the head with my poi... and make a good show of it too, so that I it bounces off their head like a perfect head wrap, and doesn't interrupt my flow one bit...

but alas.. I refrain.. let themhave their 60 seconds of nonsense.. and then show them why they should talk to people BEFORE they get whipped in battle.. hehe..

anyway.. I was just posting why I am prejiduce (sp?) against glowstringers.. not all of them though.. toxic, you and some other kids I met are cool..finding kids like you out there is like a diamond in the rough though..

3,149 posts

Posted:
i'd like to thank musashii for the most useful and informative post i have ever read on HoP.

i take my hat off to you, sir. Your knowledge in the gleaning of randy badgers is surely unsurpassed. Such selfless sharing of information that it must have taken some years of effort for you to gather truly bring a tears of joy to this monkey's eyes ubbcrying smile hug

about Battling:
i haven't really experienced it in the uk community, though of course i've come across competitiveness, both in others and in myself (i usually feel ashamed about it when i notice it in myself).
Having a competitive attitude isn't a bad thing automatically, but forcing your competitive feelings onto others is antisocial.
It also assumes an objective scale of GOOD > BAD that simply doesn't exist (but you try telling that to Olympic judges rolleyes )
But the most deadly sin of all...
(and i confess that i have done it)
...is to assume you are "better" at spinning than someone before even seeing them spin.
That really is the ultimate arrogance, and deserves multiple adjacent spanking:
spankspankspankspankspankspankspank

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
"And after the spankings comes the (edited for the younger people)"
"well I guess I could stay a bit longer" ubblol

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
*bump* Couldn't resist, these links are good, thanks dude, but i think the thread could be a little more informative wink eg less gleeming and more polishin. biggrin Well atleast theres no arguing.

N e ways ... there are so many new tekniques, and variations that it will be along time before most basic grounds are covered with loops and airwraps, but im prett happy that alot of people who (afew yrs ago) never cared for em, find somethin new in it. Obviously, loops arn't the beginning and end all of tech moves, but they can be a lot a fun. ubbrollsmile

Oh OH yea... i just got my b-fly airwraps to tangle @ eye lvl, instead of waist lvl... some interesting variations in it. What do ya think? confused

Page: ...