Stewmember
3 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys,

Keen to get into this and are wondering which equipment I should start with. Looking at the Begginner set which this site offers, Im quite tall 6.4", will this set be suitable for a person of my height or should I get custom made poi's for learning?

Thanks,

Stew

EDITED_BY: Stew (1076107500)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
For a pretty standard answer, your poi should be slightly shorter than the distance from your hand to your armpit. That way, you'll be able to do some things that are harder with longer poi.

For a slightly less than standard answer, get some long ones and either learn to wrap them around your hands or tie knots in them to shorten the strings. That way you can play around with loads of different poi lengths until you find the one you feel most comfortable with and adjust the string to fit.

Personally, I prefer longer poi - mine don't fit under my arm, so I very rarely do any horizontal spinning.

edit:

I forgot this, on the topic of custom made poi for learning, I wouldn't bother - just get some poi that look cool biggrin

Playing around with a set until you find something you like is the main point, I don't think it's worth paying extra for a custom set when you may decide you want to change them later anyway.

Also, if possible, borrow sets from a whole load of people and have a quick spin, that way you can work out what you like without the initial spending smile
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1076117064)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I prefer mine to just barely brush the ground when I have the poi on my fingers and my arms relaxed at my side. this generally comes close to the rule of thumb (armpit?) mentioned above.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Recipe for super-cheap, almost instant poi for beginners who aren't sure if they're gonna stick with it (or who are sure they are going to stick with it for that matter).

Estimated cost: less than US$5.00

Time for preparation: approximately 10 minutes

Ingredients

3 meters (10 feet) of nylon rope
2 tennis balls
1 sharp knife.

Destructions
1) take one end of the rope and wrap it around your index and middle fingers once, then hold it there and measure to about 6-8 inches from your armpit.

2) Double the rope over so that you can make two pieces of rope of this length. Cut the pieces with the knife.

3) At one end of each rope, tie a loop big enough to fit your index and middle fingers through. At the other end, tie a bulky knot, like a figure-8 knot, a monkey's fist, or two simple overhand knots. (Look these up on a knot-tying website if you have no idea what the blazes I'm talking about).

4) While VERY CAREFULLY holding each tennis ball still, use the knife to poke a slit about 2 cm (a bit less than an inch) long in each tennis ball.

5) Stuff the knotted (not the looped) end of each piece of rope into each tennis ball through this slit.

6) Start spinning. And if you're male and new at this, I STRONGLY advise you to invest in an athletic cup because you WILL smack yourself hard in the testicles at least once. This is not a possibility, it is an inevitability. It is insanely painful and will drop you to a fetal positon on the ground (as getting smacked hard in the testicles tends to do). Don't say I didn't warn you.

7) Have fun!

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Hey Stew, If you are learning and dont have many people around you to teach you the basics, I would recommend the beginner poi set and video from HOP. ubbrollsmile

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=1000&cat=200&path=1400

Also when your learning you might want to wrap the tails on the poi up around the poi head, as alot of people find it easier if the tails are out of way until you get the trick that you are learning sussed, then have a go with the tails unwrapped. smile
I personally find poi to be a bit like moving meditation, once you start its pretty easy to get addicted. weavesmiley
Good luck with it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Also, Stew, tell us about yourself. Start an intro thread! Post a photo! We like to know who new people are. cool

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Bean bags in tube socks are a popular option around here. That's what regyt uses and she's pretty cool not to mention a great spinner. biggrin

And definitely post a hello! If you haven't already....

wave

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

Stewmember
3 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, Thanks for the warm welcome and advice in regards to getting started. I’ve gone and ordered myself the beginners set from this site. I do have a tendency to start these sort of things and then give up, hopefully I'll have a bit more perseverance in this case

I'm from Auckland, NZ. Just had a general interest in spinning, occasionally would go to Albert park to watch people do it there.

Bring on the burnt eyelashes!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Hmm, Albert Park eh?

What night's the spinning on?

I'm going to be flying out to Auckland tomorrow smile

EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1076294716)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Stewmember
3 posts

Posted:
whoops, I tell a lie. I mean Victoria Park, I think it was tuesdays. havent been there in a while though so might be wrong,