Page:
Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
There is so much diversity when it comes to places where members of this site live.I was wondering about religion and the diversity of religion in the spinning world.I am Jewish, and I consider myself to be religious and it would be interesting to find out the religion of other members of the site and whether or not they consider themselves to be religious.------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
U ask:
quote:
I oftern pray while spinning, does anyone else?
doesn't this really depend on just how big the poi are?

One more fing about twirlers and religion - I find the two usually separate as twirlers are generally sometimes fiercely independent and have too much will to fall prey to any 'organised' religion.
Bill Hicks - Christianity.mp3

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I have respect for anyone journeying their path

utilitydeamonmember
33 posts

Posted:
yes.thats the way to think, spiral. good phrasing.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Quite appreciated the attempt by Aussies to get "Jedi" recognised as a religion, by trying to get everyone to put that as their religon on the latest census forms...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
I actually put Jedi down, along with all my friends.......i never did hear how that went though.

May the force be with you
APB

Good on usGood on us all

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
hm. unlike a lot of people here, it seems, i have had a religious (Anglican) high-school, and have seen a huge number of great people. Our school priest is a phenomenanlly genuinly accepting and generous man, and our RE teacher works to promote spirituality, whatever spirituality you choose.
the people i have met through singing at Anglican church ceremonies (as our school choir does) are similar.
My city's Anglican archbishop is a forward thinking man, who promotes homosexual marriage, ordination of homosexual priests and stem cell research (Archbishop Peter Carnley)

despite all this, i am not a practising anglican. i do enjoy school chapel occasions (there's 3 major ones a year), but that's it.

on the other hand i have lost friends to Christianity (she did not want to associate anymore, as she would only miss me more when i went to hell), and i know people who are no longer in contact with immediate family members as well as friends for similar reasons.

so i have seen two great extremes, yet have not lost faith that the majority of christians are essentially good people.

unsure of where my own faith resides, i havent got the time to think it over.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
clare, you're friend who you lost to christianity came out with a line I'd expect to hear from someone in a mind-control cult. Part of Step 3 - cut your followers of from their friends and old life.

Now, which make or flavour ice cream is epiphanies? Double chocolate fudge or Belgium chocolate?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
My personal epiphany for the evening has been jaffa icecream bites, coated in dark chocolate. It made me realise that the sweetest things in life, have to have a citrus tang....

R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Religiously I'm Roman Catholic. I mean I'm used to the environment, going to church and all, and it's just a family thing. Though none of use are terribly verbal about it.

Spiritually I'm different. Spirituality to me is what religion tries to put structure to, but never quite does right. It's hard to catagorize my spirituality, or even really explain, it's just my perspective on the world, universe, and whatever.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It's all about the church of Bob.
It's only $40. Eternal salvation or your money back

Jesus helps me trick people.

6,978 posts

Posted:
MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!
u are ...Jello!

no need to try to pin urself down as something when you're hugging trees

mmmm Biscuit Icecream yum.

PhyreMusemember
1 post

Posted:
Well, I'm new here, so "hi!" I'm also Pagan. I think it helps me with spinning poi to have a good relationship with fire elementals and I definitely "talk" to them almost non-stop when I'm spinning with lit wicks. I have respect for people walking their path. Part of my particular calling makes me ask "why?" alot. People sometimes get irritated with me because they think I'm questioning them when really I'm trying to get them to question themselves. I re-evaluate my "beliefs" at least once a year because the more I learn, the more I know that I don't know nearly enough.

Also, in response to something I read about prayer, if you began to study quantum physics it's possible that you might begin re-evaluate whether "prayer" in whatever form has an effect on the environment (i.e. hunger, homelessness, sickness, etc.) It's a really interesting subject if you can get into it.

PhyreMuse

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
From what I've studied of it, and from what I understand of it, I'm taoist. The only catch is that I'm not interested in meditating until my spirit lifts off to an outer plain, therefore making me immortal.

I believe in energies, I believe that its entirely possible that there is a creator/god, and I believe that when we die our energies float out of our body and rejoin the universe..

This is really the only thing that makes sense to me.

Religion isn't a part of my life, I would say that religion is an institution based on an idea of spiritualism and that an institution *will* become corrupt because of people. Spritualism cannot become corrupt because its a very personal thing, its what fits with you, not what you think everyone in the world should be.

On the subject of spiritualism, I was thinking about the idea of Chi (a taoist word for a wordly concept)

The idea of Chi, from what I understand, is that it is the energies in your body and the flow of them. Becoming in tune with these energies involves a sychronisity and union between the mind, body and spirit.

If this is true, then by many standpoints, dancing in such a way that you are moving many parts of your body without knowing what you are doing is in many ways a union between your mind body and spirit and therefore you're feeling your chi flow.

The ancient chinese definition of it involves the martial arts and being able to channel those energies and control them in such a way as you are some sort of mystic that can push someone from across the room without touching him or blow out a candle by looking at it..

I tend to think that this is all folklore, and that the chi, channeling of energies, is right there in front of us, and we get a glimpse at this energy any time we lose it on the dancefloor with our poi and lose ourselves to our movements.

This energy can also be reached by practising any martial art or an artform where you are creating a union between your mind, body and spirit.. This can include a lot of the juggling arts, perhaps all of them.. I definitely think that poi can give you a bit of that.

Its something where you can feel it, without thinking about it, the actions are actually much faster than your thoughts, so the hookup between your mind and your body and if you can, your spirit, becomes necessary.

Just my 0.02$

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
And a quality 2 cents it is SmokyBowl

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
I consider myself to be a very spiritual person, not religious. I was brought up in the Episcopal church, my dad had a zen rock garden in the backyard and a statue of Budda in the front hall way. I spent a couple of months during college in the Penecostal Church (very prevelent here in the south) but to be honest, people speaking in tounges scared me...I've been reading more about religion lately and have come to realize that it's all basically the samething...people just get way to worked up about the details...so I tend to shy away from religion, I don't think that sprituality can successfully organized in the way that many people want it to be...it's just something you have to learn for yourself, over time. "It's the journey, not the destination."

Life is serious, but art is fun!

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
I guess I'm kind of the opposit to an Athiest... I believe that you cannot proove the non-existance of anything. There is far to much stuff that we don't even know about or can't explain to be able to say that anything doesn't exist. Whether it be care bears in the clouds or alians in space, how can you tell? Just think of your own existance for a sec. . . does it feel real? You're this creature walking 'round on this big giant ball with all these other balls spinning 'round. . . ('bit like juggling really ) And then this amazing ball of fire!

And then where does it stop? And if it does, what's on the other side? Seems abit to much space to even get your head around led alone try to say whats in it and what's not!
So, jesus, care bears, alians, fairies, fraggles, God, Goddess, there all good

Anyone ever read a "Disk World" novel by Terry Pratchett? (hope I spelt it right) They're lots of fun.

[ 09 April 2002, 09:46: Message edited by: Moon Pixie ]

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I love disc world!

anyhow, i just wanted to point out something about the energies, i think they're prolly pretty real, i've learned to do a little bit just with moving energy aroudn in my own body to help things heal, my physical therapist works with it too. I suspect you prolly could use your energy to do things outside your body... but i don't know enough about it. way cool to see someone else interested in it tho!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
now if only I could actually make my contact ball float with my energy alone.. that would be a GREAT isolation trick!!

6,978 posts

Posted:
Speaking as a person who is identified as a 'Jedi' on the last census, I must say that relating prayer to quantum physics may or may not explain some phenomena (mna mna!) But the downside is that if you explain to all the kids out there that the 'Force' is merely due to microscopic 'Midichlorians' exerting a power, it dispels the mystique and we get a lot of dienfranchised nerds!
/snort

BTW, the census results will be locked away for 100 years, and so in 2100 space aussies will know the breadth of geekdom in the year 2000! the point being? - I like saying 'Midichlorians'

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
quote:
doesn't this really depend on just how big the poi are?

still laughing about that.

It's all good

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
heh, i beleive that whatever the individual person beleives in, if they beleive in it enough it becomes true for that person, thats how there ended up with so many religions and what not, cause with each person once it became real, they soread it to others and then others, and thats when the miracles occur and the spirits reveal themselves, when they are beleived in. Im not saying that its just in the persons head, it actually becomes a reality, when a person that adamently beleives in heaven, and they die they will go to the heaven they beleived in...

i dunno, i guess its kinda weird and confusing

:imagines vast cosmic dining room filled with all the gods and dieties people have beleived in over the years:

but thats my view at least...

but my personal beleifs on religion on my life are all natural, not to the extent of actual living spirits such as elementals, but htat everything has a life force and everything is guided by that and its connections to all the other life forces in the world

and that somewhere theres something tying all these life forces together and threading them but not conciously but not really randomly either, the way theyre tied together is how theyre supposed to be tied together, but it wasnt done purposely...

i dunno, maybe its me trying to give randomness in a predestined life, or direction to a totally random life

either way, poi feels right to me, and yet, its something that was totally random in my life, just decided to do it one day...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
whiffle, have ya ever read orson scott card's xenocide? (it's the third book in the ender's series...). cause what you were describing sounds a lot like something he describes in that book, which i really like... anyhow.. cool

i like the concept of everything being real because it is real to one person, it then "becomes real." i think you worded it better. I've come across that concept before, i think it's really neat. raises a lot of questions tho...

i love all of us and our "it was supposed to be this way" attitudes

[ 09 April 2002, 14:58: Message edited by: Kyrian ]

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Moon Pixie, An atheist can't prove the non-existance of god, in the same way you can't prove the non-existance of invisible one legged kangaroos, or whatever. An atheist is somebody who does not think there is a god or devine being. If god appeared in person to an atheist and proved their existance I don't think they'd start arguing, unless they were really stubborn!

I reckon our energies do exist. Personally have some experience of this. Kinæsiology, crystal healing, homoeopathic healing, radionics, reiki - all have positive effects and are energy based.

In Pratchet's Discworld books if a god is believed in he exists, and when you die whatever happens to you is whatever you think is going to happen to you. Definitely a certain charm to that idea!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
someone told me once that you can prove that an all-powerful god is not possible because god can't make a rock too heavy for him/her to lift.

You can't disprove omnipotence, or the existance or lack there-of a God. Thats the whole point of telling people that they'll go to hell if they don't follow the dogma. Can't disprove it, can't prove it either.. What can be proved to almost certainty is that the dogma which is taught by the organized religions of the world has been changed and altered from generation to generation to suit what the masses believe is right.

Ever hear of the rule of thumb, imposed by the christian church in medieval times? Can't beat your wife with a stick thats thicker than your thumb or longer than your arm.. Humanitarian eh? Now they fund support shelters for women who've suffered emotional abuse.. The times do change

One thing I want to correct from my statement above. I said that religion doesn't play any part in my life. I think thats an impossible statement to make. Religion is a prominent part in all of our lives I think. Shops aren't open on sundays, christmas breaks, the augustine ideas of modesty, the christian idea of monogamy.. I suppose if I moved to an arab country I would be living under their rules, or if I was in Israel my weekend would be friday+saturday instead of sat+sunday..

We're not completely free from religion yet.

[ 09 April 2002, 23:04: Message edited by: SmokyBowl ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I don't consider myself to be of any religion. I have not been brought up to be religious, I was not Christened or initiated into any other religion, but as Smokybowl says religions of all sorts still have a bearing, to some extent, on my life.

I haven't yet found a 'religion' that i can honestly say i believe in. In a way the whole concept confuses me, but perhaps that's because i haven't found a true belief yet.

But neither am I looking. I figure that if it's meant to be then i will happen upon it naturally, and as long as I am open-minded and willing to learn and not to dismiss ideas - then either 'religion' will find me or I will carry on as happy and content as I am.

As regards energies and spirituality, I need to learn more to comment with any intelligence but I think there is a lot of truth to be found in what has already been said.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Belief sums up religion best for me :

quote:
belief

\Be*lief"\, n. [OE. bileafe, bileve; cf. AS. gele['a]fa. See Believe.] 1. Assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partial or full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty; persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of a witness; the belief of our senses.
I was always taught to seek the truth. Not to go with the flock, or jump on band wagons without finding the answers myself. "without immediate personal knowledge" and "reliance upon word or testimony" don't really cut the mustard for me.
Evidence. Show me some evidence.

I have noticed that this God dude has been quite quiet for the last 2000 years....

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I am what you would call a nondenominational Christian. I do believe whole heartedly in my faith and the Bible, I must admit however that I have acted on my faith in a long while.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

3,492 posts

Posted:
Dom, I wasn't bagging Atheists, I was just explaining where I sit in the whole spectrom of things. . . Just coz I'm at the other end of the spectrom, doesn't mean I don't repect the oppinion of others I liked the "invisible one legged kangaroos" (nice Ozzie touch) but maybe they're the one's you get in the UK, and you just don't know it coz they're invisible

The whole energies idea sits well with me. . .
I do believe that we all have (or are part of) this energy. We all have spirit, a personality. . . although then some would believe that is all just a chemical thing in the body. . .(which does ring true for many women each month) but what makes the chemicals make you behave in certain ways? (But that's a whole other thing...)

I was thinking... what defines life in it's rawest form? Like do you think fire is alive? It breathes, (needs oxigine) it eats, (fuel or wood etc.) Hhhmmmmm, I'd like to say it is.

Spirit is all around us, it's part of us. Magick is happening, our own existance is a blessing.

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Moon Pixie, if you do a search you will find we had a rather interesting discussion on whether or not fire is alive not so terribly long ago. You might want to check it out (and admittedly I'd love to see it revived!)
Bright blessings!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

3,492 posts

Posted:
Arh, thanks,
Sorry I'm a newbie to the board

Page: