Forums > Social Chat > New Music Types - WTF?!

Login/Join to Participate

alterego
alterego

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer
Total posts: 222
Posted:With the recent advents in music and all the new and aspiring DJ's new types of Electronica have been popping up like bean sprouts. Does anyone know a listing of the different types or a way to keep track of them? I've got tons and tons of CD's but if a friend comes up to me and asks, "What is this?" or "How can you tell" I don't know how to distinguish.Love always,Spanky

Delete Topic

Paddy
back from the dead...sort of
Total posts: 884
Posted:It depends on how picky you want to be. Generally, you've got techno, trance, drum and bass, house, and ambient. Once you start getting into the nuances there's more than you can shake a stick at....psy trance, progressive trance, progressive house, deep house, hard house, funky house, jungle, breaks, uk garage, us garage, atmospheric dnb, jump-up, gabber, hardcore, happy hardcore, big beat, downtempo, acid techno...It's kind of ridiculous.Most of those genres overlap with others, so much so that it pretty much creates a seamless continuum and people tend to argue over where certain genres start and others stop. It's almost impossible to set clear cut boundaries once you get into the nitty gritty. I'd say the way to gauge your CDs is to just listen to more muzak and see how other people describe it!I've been listening to electronica for about 6 years now and I'd say I've got a good ear for it, so if you want help with a certain piece, just give me the title and artist. I'm certain someone will disagree with whatever I have to say, but like I mentioned nobody ever agrees on this stuff!

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:We chatted about this a while back. I used to be frustrated by the different subtleties in electronic music. After a while it just started clicking.I agree with Paddy about the continum of nuances. Although it can be frustrating it can also be very useful. I know what I will and won't like, which is really the point no?Check out the threads:http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001904.html(In which Cantus bashes me for no understandable reason...) as well as for some subtleties...http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001319.htmlorhttp://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001353.htmlAgain, I don't really know what the heck I'm talking about but I've been "there" in the "what the heck is all of this called" phase and now I'm in the "I know the genres that I like" phase... I'd even check out reviews on CDNOW and stuff to find out what albums you are would be considered.Unlike some electronic critics, I do think it's useful to categorize, even if people will disagree on the little things. There are some "truths" and directions which are helpful...A Sasha or Digweed set will always be deeper than a Keoki or Tiesto set.A Christopher Lawerence set will always be more progressive than a Juno reactor CD.And drum and base will be the stuff that everyone else likes but me.
Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

DJ Poi
Total posts: 4
Posted:Try this site:http://phobos.plato.nl/e-primer/

--I refuse to have a signature.

Delete

The Welcome Matt
Total posts: 193
Posted:I know what you mean. I can really only tell the difference between house, trance, jungle, Drum and bass, two step, break beat, etc. Other than that i don't really get that specific.I have tried to get into drum and bass.. but it doesn't really appeal to me that much... i find it so much more fun to dance to House and Trance more.ahh.. whatever.. if its good i'll dance to it
Non-Https Image Link
------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Delete

Jello
ambiguous
Total posts: 646
Posted:It is very hard to catagorize everything, and it seems to be against my nature. I like listening to all the variety of electronic type music, but if you ask me what exactly it is, good luck
Non-Https Image Link
Paddy, you forgot Ghetto House
Non-Https Image Link
hehe------------------Ambiguous

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Posted:Fantastic website DJ Poi. I learned quite a bit.
Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

phunky
old hand
Total posts: 877
Posted:Drum n bass and Jungle are the same thing. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

Paddy
Posted:I disagree Phunky...there are some gray areas but the sounds of jungle and dnb are quite distinct.

Delete

phunky
old hand
Posted:This is quoted from a dnb DJ in my city. "'Drum and bass' is just the newer name for the movement (they're the same thing). Before 'jungle' it was called 'hardcore' or 'speeded breaks'". Personally it doesn't really matter to me, though i do prefer the name Jungle because it sounds damn cool. I'm also sure there are a bunch of links to music guides that would back that up too, lemme go look for them.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

alterego
alterego

Posted:Kewl thanks for all the inputs! What really got me frustrated was when I was at a club in Sydney in the Kings Cross area called 'Emerge' and the DJ, Jono Shales gave me his cd and he called it 'Subsonic Progression'.Thanks for that site DJ Poi its super-informative. What it comes down to for me is Trance to listen to, Progressive Trance to dance to, and Ambience to chill to.Thanx Again!Love Always,Spanky

Delete

Paddy
Posted:DNB, as I know it, has an emphasis on either individual drum sounds or a single sliced up drum loop...like EZ-Rollers, source direct, or LTJ Bukem. Jungle is the stuff with crazy, hard layered beats with a fuller sound, more along the lines dieselboy, dara or dom & roland.That said, I know where you're coming from, Phunky. I used to consider the two the same until someone pointed out that difference to me. It's such a tiny and subjective difference, and it's widely open to taste and interpretation, but ever since it was pointed out I haven't been able to shake it. It's become habit for me now...I hear that style of beat and I automatically start to classify it as one or the other. I doubt if I'm actually correct in doing so, but like I mentioned before, I think that once you get into the fine print it's largely a matter of opinion. And despite that, I still tend to use the names interchangably. Yeah, jungle ounds way cooler than dnb.
Non-Https Image Link

Delete

alterego
alterego

Posted:Just wanted to emphasize how much this site rox DJ Poi!Love always,Spanky

Delete

Tracered
Total posts: 71
Posted:All that matters is whether or not you know enough to tell what you like. If you can't stand DnB, who cares what the difference is between it and Jungle? Personally, I think my distinctions are coming along quite a bit, but sometimes I can still sit down and listen to something saying "What the hell am I supposed to call THIS!?"I don't know that anyone will ever have the ability to keep up with absolutely every new invention and mixing of styles, so I don't really try anymore.
Non-Https Image Link
I figure it falls into one of two major catagories. Either I can dance to it, or not.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

Delete

Paddy
Posted:Excellent point Tracered. I find the distinction pretty useful because I like most all dnb/jungle/whathaveyou.

Delete

Spiral
Spiral

Oolering Man
Total posts: 729
Posted:All I need to know is if I like it or not
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral'ride the spiral to the end, It may just go where no-ones been'

Delete

Bendy
Total posts: 750
Posted:Problem with genres is that you may never listen to some good stuff if you totally ignore that style. I use genre's to classify my music, but find it extremely difficult to "pigeon-hole" some music.Ideally I prefer 2 genres: Good shit and bad shit. The good one is stuff I like, the bad one isn't.
Non-Https Image Link

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Posted:I kinda disagree phunky, I don't think you can have slow jungle, whereas you can have slower drum and base. You can also have a more minimalist drum and base that I'd never call jungle.Keep in mind that these terms are both regional and era related.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)
Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Enter a "Title" here:
Total posts: 2905
Posted:This is how I classify all of my music... In colum A I have the good stuff and in colum B the crap. I dunno maybe its just me wanting to simplify stuff. I do have a colum C but that is in the cd changer in my car.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Delete

SteelWngs
SteelWngs

Total posts: 169
Posted:Getting out the soap box...and the over head projector.
Non-Https Image Link
Here is the rant and letting you know now It's long. Electronic music can be classified into many domains and sub-domains. This page gives a detailed description of each type of electronic music, along with examples. This should clarify the parenthesis classifications found on my track listing page. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Drum & Bass This genre of techno is majorly differentiable from the others because of it's beat. It is not based on a 4/4 time signature; its beats are based on breaks. Many people confuse Drum & Bass with jungle, but distinctions can be made. Firstly, Drum & Bass usually uses individual sampled drums (ex. individual hi-hats, bassdrums, snares, etc...); they are then mixed together, chopped up, and then resequenced. Jungle, on the other hand, generally uses complete loops which most frequently originate from actual drum beats. Furthermore, the tempo is usually slower than Jungle. Along with the breakbeats is a strong emphasis on low-end bass; Drum & Bass probably uses the loudest and most low-end bass of all music in existance, even more than hip-hop and other forms of black American music. Check out Goldie's "Timeless" and you'll see what I mean. Speaking of Goldie, it is said that he is responsible for the beginning of true Drum & Bass. D&B also uses a lot of soft female vocals and strings, this creates a rather relaxing yet energetic vibe. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jungle This is one of the faster types of techno. It's based mainly on looped breakbeat samples. The beauty and creativity of the breaks comes from the chopping and resequencing. A lot of jungle tracks recycle the same old break, but true creative artists are able to use that same break and make it sound like something completely different. Anything by DJ Hype, the world's number 1 junglist, is a perfect example of this genre. Alec Empire would be a good example demonstrating the recyling of loops; his track "Generate" is certainly mindblowing! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ambient Ambient techno is the most chill and calm form of electronic music, yet it is one of the more creative types. This is the only form of techno that can't really be danced to. It doesn't always focuss on the beats, it generally focusses on the melodies and weird use of spaced out sounds. A perfect example of the genre would come from anything made by "The Future Sound of London", "Autechre", or "Plastikam" (Richie Hawtin). Their music is extremely creative and wonderful to listen to. The best thing to do is to lay down on your bed with your eyes closed with a nice set of headphones. It totally relaxes you and is a good way to trip your mind out. Although, listening to "The Future Sound of London" can sometimes scare living shit out of you. You'll be all calm at one point listening to airy spaced out sounds, then all of a sudden a demonic rumbling yell will creep inside of you. It's wonderful stuff! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Detroit This is how techno all started. Back in 1987, it was mainly a TB-303, TR-808, and TR-909 running with maybe a few simple synth riffs. About the same time the Second Summer of Love occured, Detroit crossed the Atlantic Ocean and got into the United Kingdom where it really exploded. The outdoor raves in empty fields and abandoned warehouses started. Back then, it was 100% pure underground and was about people coming together to listen to a form of music that wasn't readily available on the radio. Once techno got to the UK, acid house really exploded and the TB-303 began to clame all glory. Detroit then evolved with more catchy synth lines, but from what I've heard of Detroit, it pretty much has a dated sound, like it sounds old. Good examples of Detroit are stuff from Carl Craig and Jeff Mills. The more European version of Detroit would be Belgian Techno. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hardtrance This is my alltime favourite genre of electronic music. It encompasses a lot of elements from the other domains, yet still is distinct. Firstly, hardtrance usually has a fast tempo, generally above 150 BPM. It is secondly distinguised by it's hard leads and heavy trance arpeggios. On top of the trance leads, it generally uses a lot of acid squelching, particularly from the TB-303. What also makes hardtrance interesting and addictive is its use of vocal samples. They sometimes can be meaningless or weird, but they blend in well with the music. Hardtrance can also be progressive. It will start out with some simple single hitting sounds or arpeggios, bring in the percussion, add some 909 snare rolls, and then totally come down onto your with the hardcore. This is the ultimate music to dance to. You don't need any drugs whatsoever with hardtrance, the music itself will get you baked. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hardcore In general, Hardcore techno bangs at about 175 to 180 BPM (making it one of the faster types). On top of the 4/4 beat, breakbeats are usually mixed in to give it a more rythmic beat. The melodies are usually rather simple and synchronized mechanically with the beat. Most of the time, complex piano riffs are blended in. The mechanical hard leads and piano make it very fun to dance to. Check out early stuff from "Ultra-Sonic" and "Dune" to feel this vibe. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Trance This is another one of my favourite types of techno. It's usually not very deep and dark, but that doesn't mean it always has a happy-like mood to it. What distinguishes trance the most from all other genres is it's primary use of arpeggios and warm pads. Listen to anything mixed by Paul Oakenfold (except for his Goa mixes) and you'll know exactly what I mean. Due to the nice pads and arpeggios, trance is probably considered as one of the more beautiful types of techno. When the Roland JP-8000 was released in 1997, thicker pads were implemented and it just revolutionized the world of trance while bringing back those lovely Jupiter and Juno sounds. On top of the instrumentals, female vocals are layered. The vocals don't necessarily have to be spoken words, but sustained notes are often used. It's very energetic to dance to and can take your brain to another dimension. If you have access, try to get a hold of some BBC Radio transmissions of "The Essential Mix" with Pete Tong. His featured programs with Paul Oakenfold and Sasha are amazing. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Happy Hardcore Happy Hardcore is a sub-division of Hardcore techno. It contains many of the same elements as Hardcore, but it always has a happy and positive (sometimes pathetic sounding) colour to it. Voice-like synths / samples are often used for it, as well are female vocals. Some of "Dune" is considered to be Happy Hardcore, as is a part of Scooter's early material; they're some "Friends" is a perfect example. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Acid This is one of the first forms of techno to arrise. It started back in 1987 in Detroit when techno was first starting. Althought many instruments such as the MC-202 and Juno-106 are used to produce acidic tones, this type of techno is usually synonimous with the TB-303. Modulation and repetition of the basslines is essential to this genre and mainly focusses on these elements. There are many kinds of Acid. You can have your basic Acid House in which the TB-303 and TR-909 / TR-808 are primarily used; check out "Hardlfloor" for some examples (this German techno group is synonimous with the TB-303, they have nine of them including one of them modified with the Australian "Devil Fish"). In other genres, you can have a blend of acid, take Hardtrance for example. In Hardtrance, Acid is not the primary focuss, but it usually takes the lead and brings the song to it's peak. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Goa Goa is the most warped and insane sounding of all electronic music. This is to say that it is not musically sounding and chaotic to listen to (like Death Metal). It is similar in some ways to Hardtrance and Trance, but it's sounds are totally unnatural and spaced out. Personally, I find that the synthesizer sounds implicated in goa are some of the most complex. Every goa track usually focusses on extremely hard leads. Lots of acid is also blended in. Like a lot of techno, the beat is 4/4 except in goa the bassdrum usually has a bit of a higher tuning and longer sustaining decay level than normal. Check out the bassdrums in tracks by "Astral Projection" and compare to general 4/4 beats. If you want to see what I mean by warped sounds, check out a track by "Cosmosis" called "Spores From Space". --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Psychedelic Trance Psy-Trance is even more simlar to goa than Jungle is to Drum & Bass. In a sense, they're almost identical, except that Psy-Trance is usually a bit more calm and less harsh on the hard leads. This genre is also usually associated with an Israeli type of sound which can be heard in a lot of its arpeggios. Check out "Astral Projection" to see what it's all about. Another typical example of Psy-Trance would be stuff from "Man With No Name". --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gabba This is the most insane and undanceble music ever known to man. The slowest forms of gabba are set to no less than 200 BPM! I've seen people at raves dance to this stuff, but they were obviously on speed or ecxtacy. Along with the speedy 4/4 beat comes the hard leads in synch with the beat. Strange spaced out sounds usually come along too. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dance Where I live, this is the type of music which dominates the clubs and radio stations on the weekends. The only problem with this type of music is that it's so goddamn commercial and is associated with part of the Italian culture, aka the "gino" culture...Too many people confuse this stuff with good electronic music. Anything on "MC Mario" compilations is considered as dance. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Euro-techno This is a sub-division of Dance music, except it has more of a heavy techno influence. A perfect example of this type of music would be anything from "Brooklyn Bounce". It's really heavy dance music, but just doesn't leave the realm of dance to become extremely electronic. It's also type of music that generally has the power to surface from the underground and into clubs. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dream House This form of music is credited mostly to Robert Miles. We all remember his explosive track "Children". It's generally not very faced paced stuff, but still beats. It's got a nice thick bassline kicking with the hi-hats, and usually has very soft melodies and arpeggios along with piano riffs. Female vocals also is frequently enveloped with Dream House. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------House House is probably the most difficult of the genres to accurately describe. Firstly, it's usually four to the floor. Low end bass is usually mixed rather cleverly with the beat; if you listen to Daft Punk's "Revolution 909" you'll know what I mean. House can also have some tribal rythms, if you go to raves these days which are based on house music you'll hear a lot of congas and different types of snares. Vocals, be it male or female, are also mixed into house music. As house has progressed, the vocals and main riffs are now heavily filtered. Listen to Pete Heller's "Big Love" to see what I'm talking about. If you want major filtering, nothing beats Daft Punk's "Musique". Not only are the riffs filtered, but entire ensembles are weirdly mixed and crossfaded. House music can then branch into several smaller divisions. Funk house, for example, usually puts a large emphasis on pimp bass and funk breaks mixed with the 4/4 beat. On top of that, the phrases are filtered with quick bursts. The Ian Pooley Remix of DJ Sneak's "Keep On Groovin'" demonstrates this. House as a whole is usually not very fast paced like other electronic genres. Instead of sheer energy, it prefers to concentrate on a state of groove. It's perfect for the clubs. Just dance there and let those 909 hats chugg away at ya! ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling."

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Delete

Dru Lee Parsec
Total posts: 78
Posted:I've mentioned this before, bur this thread makes it worth mentioning again. www.epitonic.com has TONS of free and legal MP3's of techno, dance, drum&bass, ambient etc music available for download. I've discovered several albums that I've bought becuase of being exposed to the music via this site.My faves: ABA Structure, Jondi & Spesh, Lowfish, Solvent, Carl Cox. Enjoy!

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Delete

alterego
alterego

Posted:Ahh another kewl site
Non-Https Image Link
I like a lot of different kinds of techno but of course I have the main genre's I listed too most often. Sometimes if I need to vent Jungle is okay. I think the type that you listen to really speaks of your personality. That's not always the case of course but you can see characteristics throughout behavior and dress that are pretty consistent. Candy Kids listening to Trance, wearing bright colors, liquid fluid dancing, whereas a Jungler is probably wearing earth colors tribal type beads and with a more animalistic dance. That's just a couple examples though. Love always,Spanky

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Posted:Thanks for taking the time Steelwings, I'm learning quite a bit.Good thread all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Paddy
Posted:Well done SteelWings! Very nicely defined indeed. I'm copying that lot to a file and saving it in my MP3 directory. It's nice to see someone else agrees with me on the difference in jungle/dnb.
Non-Https Image Link
Apart from the person who first showed me the difference I've never met anyone who makes the distinction.Thanks again man!

Delete

Organized Kaos
Total posts: 238
Posted:A big way to tell the difference between the music is looking not at the melody but at the beats and the BPM (Beats per minute)for example euro or dance music will be about 120-140 BPM while Techno Trance is 150-200 BPMRave can range from 150-250 and Ive even heard a 300BPM songHouse is a completely different storydivided into Dirty house, progressive house, classic house, hard house and more, this in my opinion is the hardest to differentiate but I can give examples LaLaLand by green velvet is Dirty house, you can tell because it has a very hard, almost dirty beatprogressive house is like Ayla or ATB which has a calmer beat and a nice tuneClassic house is like sono Keep control or Fiori- Take me where you are with a very distinguishable beatVoodoo and serano-Blood is pumping is hard house and you can tell ecause it has a hard beat and a very hard tuneJungle is in my opinion one of the easiest along with breakbeats as Jungle music beats sound like just that, Jungle drums and native style drummingBreakbeats and freestyle beats are very similar except fot that breakbeats are slower and more spread out and involve more snare drums rather than kick drumsAnd thats my story on how to differentiate between music...I hope it was helpful------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:NYC, this was during the period when you were regularly dropping pianos on my livestock and threatening members of my family with violence.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

phunky
old hand
Posted:I stand corrected on the issue, but do agree with NYC that music classification varies from region to region.eg UK Garage is not sound the same as US Garage.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

toneman

Total posts: 195
Posted:Thank you SteelWings!! You have given me what I've been asking for for sometime!! (not the categories, but artists!!) Looks like my psy-goa collection is about to balloon...
Non-Https Image Link

Delete

alterego
alterego

Posted:I picked up a Kraftwerk cd today from Sam Goody (copyright 1981) and It's actually really cool.Love always,Spanky

Delete

Katinca
Katinca

See my vest.... see my vest...
Total posts: 693
Posted:yay...GoA and Psy-Trance!!!*cartwheels,jumps up, runs... round-off, back flip followed by a forward sault*Yay!!My favourite type of music....OK I will shud-up-now...------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Delete