T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Right the basic idea behind this is to tie one poi to a staff and spin them together so the poi stays at a right angle to the staff. I think this would look abit odd done with only one staff+poi but with doubles it looks really nice.
I’ve posting this in the poi moves and the staff moves section cos it’d be nice to get both perspectives on it. Personally am more natural with staffs so the moves I’ve made up are based on staff moves.

Anyhow first move to get is a figure of 8 with one staff and one poi for this the just spin the staff as you would normally and have the poi between your finger after abit of practice you should find that you can get the poi to keep at right angles, as with most things you can go in both direction with both hands. Once you've got that try adding few turns, passing the staff+poi thing from one hand to the other, pin wheels (leaving out 1/4 of a turn before and after the passes) and throws (which aren't half as hard as i expected them to be).

With double staff all the basic figure of 8 moves can be done probably the easiest one is both hands doing forwards fig on 8 with the staffs, one in front while the other’s behind and the poi are spinning in opposite direction one in front and one behind. Also turn 180 and 360 and… turns can be done.

That’s basically as far as i've got but I think the double staff move where you throw one up and do 1/2 or a full pin wheel under it should be achievable, might have to it my project for the next week.

Has anyone else played about with this and has anyone come up with anything interesting?

Tim

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Havent tried it but thought about such a toy as well as a single staff with a poi at each end. Dont really have much to contribute but I always thought about stopping the staff mid spin so that the poi does 1 beat, then continue spinning the staff (in either the opposite or same direction).

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
done it!!
the first staff i ever tried was about 3 1/2 ft long with a chain and a poi head at either end, my idea was to try and use it like a long handled meteor and yes try and stop it to let the poi heads beat then go back o staff spins.
not being any good with staff me and my mates couldnt use it very well and nicknamed it the 'insanity stik'
basicaly staff moves are all well and good, poi moves are practically impossible but it caomes back on you in unexpected and totally evil ways when you think its all going okay.
doing the stop for one beat means the poi heads just come back and smack into the stik or your hands.
Good luck with it.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Saw a guy doing this at Burningman 2001 or 2002 at Noonish Juggling.

Looked super sweet. The poi was pretty much bang on 90 degrees to the staff and he was really smooth.

I also saw one of the london crew down in brighton who had a poi tied to each end of a staff. He was doing some crazy weaves and stuff. Can't remember his name, big bloke, super slick style, does btb buzzsaws like no one else i've seen.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What a fantastic idea Tree Beetley type character! biggrin

I think you're thinking of the double flail originalsmit, which has been mentioned loads of times before and is very different. Unless I have it wrong... ubbangel

So when you throw is the poi attached to the staff in the middle or does the poi stay in your hand while the staff's in the air....

I'm thinking it could also be really cool to have a club attached instead of a poi too. Like a cross missing one of it's arms. I wonder would it be less unwieldy than double crosses, with more transitions and turns.....like giant fans or something...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I also saw one of the london crew down in brighton who had a poi tied to each end of a staff. He was doing some crazy weaves and stuff. Can't remember his name, big bloke, super slick style, does btb buzzsaws like no one else i've seen.

that'd be the lovely alex 'weasel' and his weasel staffs.

cool toys biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
For some clarification:

Weaselstaff is a staff with one poi attached to each end. It is manipulated by holding NOT to be confused with double flail which is a staff with poi on each end, manipulated by the staff handle.

A flail can be used as a weaselstaff OR vice-versa but the method of manipulation is what defferintiates or comportmintalises them.

And this thing you're talking about is a whole new beast that requires a whole new (hopefully silly) name.

Like "Pythagorean Pole"

or something...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Cheers Coleman. Always wondered who that was. Weasel, nice bloke, cool style.

Quote:

A flail can be used as a weaselstaff OR vice-versa but the method of manipulation is what defferintiates or comportmintalises them

So does that mean i should call my meteor by 4 different names depending on whether i'm doing poi, staff, meteor or fire dart moves???

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm thinking it could also be really cool to have a club attached instead of a poi

surely that would take half the fun out of it, you wouldn't have to worrie weather the poi were going to smack up round the face.

But when you throw the poi staff thing the poi stay attached so you need to catch it on the right half of the rotation.

Anyway just had an idea which can't be done by with using a club instead. basic when you throw the poi staff thing catch the poi half way down the sting and the poi speeds up like in a hyperloop and the staff carries on rotating on the sting. it's abit tricky to stop them colliding but very fun.

As for a name humm am going to keep calling it poi staff thing (less thinking more playing) biggrin

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Poipoipoi say with reference to weaselstaff\double flail
Quote:

So does that mean i should call my meteor by 4 different names depending on whether i'm doing poi, staff, meteor or fire dart moves???

i shall draw the attention of the honourable Mr Weasel to this criticism. Though it should be noted that a fire weaselstaff would ideally have wicking along the entire length of the staff (where a double flail would be held), and similarly a double flail would have wick on the ends of the poi (where a weaselstaff is held).

thus making them different types of equipment.

(err, and what's the difference between staff and meteor moves confused)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
weasel staff as monkey said is wicked entirely down the length of the staff bit so you cant actually use it like a flail also the chains are longer than on an average flail as if they to short then you cant properly use the weasel staff. the handles should meet each other when pulled together with the angle between the chain and staff being at least 60 degrees, this allows for one handed weasel staff and double weasel staff. weasel staff is actually thought through not just me bein silly..................
.....................well a bit me being silly

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I have a rutien wich invoves starting with my poi, then putting one out with a ground slap, I light my 4 foot double staffs with the other poi. I then go off with the poi and staff for a while till the poi goes out. Grab my other double staff and rock them for a while. I usually set the longer burnned one down and play with the single on my knees, mess with my cowboy hat, then switch staff. burnn out one then the other doing single stff moves. It is a LONG show but it is a fun one!!

Poi and Staff go together well!! Double staff is the same movements as Poi, so if you combind them you can Rock out with your Cock out, Baby! tongue

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
After playing about with my centre chain staff i've relised if you want to throw and catch them it makes life easist if you catch them when the chain is pointing straight up which is also the best position for passing them from hand to hand. also to get them looking smooth try and think of them as poi with really big handles. smile

SETHBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I attached my poi to the end of my staff, when i started spinning, it wobbled out of control, but looked absolutely marvellous.
i can now do it smoothely, but have the tendency to hit myself...or others. ubbcrying

If u don't burn yourself...I will redface)

Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
Been there made it got the burns,

if u attatch chains on the ends and then a carabena then u can attatch all sorts

its really wobbly and hurts ur wrist a lil but after practice its fun

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
waht i beleive would be cool would be getting a staff bout 2 feet long and then tying a 1.5foot long string on each side but all this with glowstix so a glowstick at each end of the staff + glowstick top of each string but performed by a staffer
would look sick in the face with 4 glowsticks goin around biggrin now i wanna c!!

it must be green

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Tried something similar but it was about a 1.5 foot staff with 2ft chains and fire poi on the ends but it turn out to be more of a want to be meteor then a new toy. But still pretty fun to play around with biggrin

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
Had a go at this under my own steam - just goes to show that old adage about spontaneous wide-spread genius (or lunacy) - look under "flaming morning star" in the other toys section

I made a toy basically a short staff (~18"), and fastened a fire poi with an 18" chain onto one end - it can then be swung poi-like, or with a poi in the opposite hand...lwhen i make another morning star will be able to spin with two! Can do lots of poi moves with it no worries, as well as figure eight and pinwheel staff moves - my favourite moe is to go between the legs by sticking the stick past me groin (poi move) then jump over it as it swings back to the front........
Currently it is broken due to an unravelled wick (damn fire poi, no wonder it was surplus) but whn i fix it and upgrade it to "Skullsplitter Mk II" (heavy monkey fist with kevlar rope instead of chain most of the way) i will for sure be trying to figure out some new tricks

A paradise found is a paradise lost
-E.O. Wilson

My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic
-Spike Milligan

Daxxiferalmember
13 posts

Posted:
something I have been playing around with is a set o poi in my left hand and a staff in my right.... do a one handed buzzsaw with the poi, and then entangle it the other way; while weaving the staff into it. catch your staf with the poi, and then spin the other ay, disentangling th poi, and launch your staff up....recatch with right hand. a lil tricky, but fun.

good. now do a butterfly under your ass.

fuck.
dude, i was joking.

benjyBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
i did this this weekend
i tied both firepois to the ends of my staff (120 cm)
dont know how it looked like
(did not set staff on fire ofcourse or my poi handles would be no more)
i do know that it was a real good training excercice,very hard. me muscular man now biggrin rolleyes

Think for yourself Question authority

rifionmember
19 posts

Posted:
bump.

anybody else doing staff in one hand poi in the other? kinda liking it.

R

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Bumptastic.

Toss this one up to the new integrated "New Topic," search funtion.

I've been playing with this. The only trick I can do so far is (with a short staff and a poi in each hand) corkscrew while turning 360. Does anyone have anything else? This is quite a nice set-trick and it would be nice if I could expland it.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
you bastards, i thought this was new but hey, what is?
i've managed to get two poi + staff in one hand, with another staff in the other, on fire. i've managed 4 socks and 2 staffs in basic figure 8 and definately no turns!, but have not got enough fire poi to do this, tho i am sure i can.

oh yeah, anyone tried four poi in one hand? had a play today with socks and it seems vaguely posibl;e, a bit like crossed staffs in one hand maybe?