Forums > Social Chat > Do I have to have fire?

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was talking to a friend of mine who also twirls and i made a reference to my own twirling. she seemed shocked that i was still doing it (i havent twirled in front of my old friends since....well....for MONTHS). and basically she seemed to really look down on me, or didnt blieve me or something that i just didnt feel comfortable with, because i dont have any fire equipment.

i do love twirling fire, but for me its not just for the fire. i twirl cos i like twirling, fire is just a bonus really. and i plan on getting around to getting some fire poi or a staff, i just havent yet. but im fine with my colourfully tailed poi.

do i lack credibility because i dont twirl fire? her reaction to me just made me feel really uncomfortable ubbcrying

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Not at all. Twirling is twirling, be it poi, staff, martial art stuff, shoe laces or children on the end of string. And besides, fire looks comparitively rubbish in daylight compared to nighttime so spin your lovely coloured tails proudly all you want.
Fire is just another extension of the art that adds an extra element of excitement

weavesmiley <- see, spinning glowsticks with tails!! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
no one should look down on someone because they don't spin fire. In the poi community the attitude is mostly pretty friendly and helpful, it's a shame that some people have this attitude but it shouldn't affect the enjoyment you get out of doing something you love.

don't listen to her!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
no offence to your friend, but i thought that the poi scene was one of the few scenes where your NOT looked down on.
fire or not, do can spin, u got style ennit!
ive been spinning for a year and i still dont have any (MATTHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

this isnt like the music scene "my clothes and tastes are more pretentious than yours"

obnoxious dicks

sorry but this is one of those topics that PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

As many of you know I'm not a fan of fire fanatics, and can be pretty openly critical of them. If you're spinning for the fire then please spin over there please... No, further back... A bit more... More... Yep, just over that hill...

Most of the most amazing spinners I know only rarely use fire. Like you said, it's a bonus, but not the reason. In no way does spinning fire qualify you as a twirler.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
i second that dyke boy.
who cares if you havnt spun with fire, yes i reccomend you try it if your ready to because its fun, but the fact you havnt yet is so incredibly unimportant it doesnt even bear mentioning.
there is no more skill involved spinning fire than there is spinning tails.
youll see from the replies you have just got the general tone and encouragement you can expect to receive from spinners.
just do what you want, other people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how wrong they are.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Quote:

do i lack credibility because i dont twirl fire?

No, not at all.
I can count the number of times I lit up in 2003 with the fingers on one hand, I'm more than happy just spinning my non-fire poi (which I refuse to call 'practise poi' - I don't practise, I play. There's a big difference smile )

Quote:

i twirl cos i like twirling, fire is just a bonus really

This is the key point here, try explaining this concept to your friend, if she doesn't appreciate it then I say shrug and walk away.
If a friend looks down on you for not following her way of thinking, is she really worth having as a friend?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
you need to show your friend that glow-stringing video those kids in San Antonio put together - some totally amazing spinning, and no way you could do most of it with fire.

Fire is wonderful, but it is full of limitations too (where you can do it, what cloths you can wear, you can't do it alone, you can only go for a little while before you have to stop and re-fuel, there are many wraps that you can't do without burning yourself, etc.). Fire adds a dimention to spinning, but there are other ways to do that to without the fire. I know plenty of people who love learning to spin, but are not interested in the fire aspect of it. There is no wrong answer in your development as a spinner - unless you turn into a snob about it.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
nope, like all of the above, i am more than happy just to swing my dry poi, and be happy with that!

i love my hammers, more than my beamers!

i love to do wrpas and stalls at the mo, and with those i cant really do with fire, and i cant use fire indoors in club and so on, if she is all about fire, just say no, just like the grange hill song!

"just say no!...NO!"

and chill!

Step (el-nombrie)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i love my hammers

eek spinning with hammers is clearly more dangerous than fire.

wink

actually i love Mech's hammers too.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
poi snobbery mad

Ignore and enjoy! If you want to play with fire you will, if you don't does not mean you are in any way 'inferior'
spank for your silly friend

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
good for isolations though:

...spinning with hammers is clearly more dangerous than fire...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ditto (to all of the above)

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I agree, myself I use fire occasionally, but it is too inconvenient for a quick impromptu spin - my beamers go absolutely everywhere with me, and they can be used pretty much whenever I get the chance!!

Fire has its place ( at least it does for me), but it is by no means a necessity.

Spinning is spinning, whatever you use!!

weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i agree with everything here.

i only see the point of fire, if its dark and you just wanna look impressive to non spinners.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Fire?!?! That's what this is about??

ubbrollsmile

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've always thought that there was a difference between "fire" and "poi". When I started, the crowd I was in was 99% fire, 1% poi. Most saw poi as a cool way to light things on fire. I never really bought into that philiosphy. Perhaps that's what attracted me to the London poi scene. (Or maybe it was just all the cute British girls wink )

In the venn diagram, there's definitely a large circle for poi, and a large circle for playing with fire and the overlap is quite small. I like fire as an added challenge to poi. I do think it looks better when lit. I have all kind of props for my socks, but they're not all that impressive to those that don't spin. Fire is exactly the opposite. It's automatically impressive to those that don't spin.

Most of the above people did echo my sentiments.

But I do think that fire adds something. I'd actually love to see some of the poi gods and goddesses that I worship get more into fire.

There are directions that those who don't burn that much AREN'T going in. And I think they're valuable too... I think if some of the UK crew got more into fire... and put the same amount of effort into fire... it would be pretty amazing.

Finally I'll end with a quote from my earliest idol, Mr. Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller fame)...

Quote:

"[Playing with fire] is very dangerous, and you shouldn't try it at home... unless you want to look really cool."

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Some good things about fire: -

It looks amazing

It photographs well

Sounds nice

Feelings of 'playing with an element'

Impressives and mesmerises audiences

Bad things:-

Fuel is toxic, if you spin fire a lot you do start to notice it

It's filthy, even if you wipe everything down and take a lot of care

Involves carting loads of stuff around- fuel, dipping containers, safety stuff etc

I've really cut down on fire over the past year, for me the heart of spinning is in the skill and flow.

I like fire occasionally, but am really aware of the toxic side.

It did seem that years ago there was a big emphasis on fire, with non fire poi being seen as just a stepping stone to the 'real' thing; I guess that this is were the phrase 'practise poi' came from.

Now I see that a lot of the spinners I know have really cut down on the fire, and focus on the unlit poi.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Fire is excellent - but no, of course you don't have to have it!

Hm. To steal NYC's image, in the venn diagram of my heart, there is the part of me that adores poi and the part of me that adores fire and only some overlap (to create the part of me that just barely keeps the dust off my my fire poi).

E pluribus unum, baby.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i only see the point of fire, if its dark and you just wanna look impressive to non spinners.

Erm, I don't think that is entirely true. Many of us enjoy the rush, it can get your adrenaline pumping. As someone else said, the sound, the warmth, the feeling of playing with an element, all play in to why many of us spin fire.

I spin on the beach or in my back yard with fire with only a poi-spinning safety, who is anything but impressed by the stuff I do they've seen a billion times. It isn't to impress anyone, as there isn't anyone to impress. It is simply because a lot of us love the feeling of working with an element that is, under many circumstances, dangerous, deadly and scary.

As for the subject: Introduce them to Iso Hammer Tossing, and if they don't continue to do it every day for hours on end, call them a wuss and look down upon them.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Erm, I don't think that is entirely true. Many of us enjoy the rush, it can get your adrenaline pumping. As someone else said, the sound, the warmth, the feeling of playing with an element, all play in to why many of us spin fire.

I spin on the beach or in my back yard with fire with only a poi-spinning safety, who is anything but impressed by the stuff I do they've seen a billion times. It isn't to impress anyone, as there isn't anyone to impress. It is simply because a lot of us love the feeling of working with an element that is, under many circumstances, dangerous, deadly and scary.

i do see your point. i suppose i get little shivers in my spine from fire. i do like the warmth, especially recently...
peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

thegoodfellamember
12 posts

Posted:
thats not a real friend.

Why you going to the airport? Flying somewhere?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I will admit that at times I do harass ppl at the weekly fire gathering here for not lighting up, but thats more just a motivation thing as they all do fire, but are just a bit slow about getting a lighter out. At least they all have a twirl, but i forget that some people are still a little scared of fire. I love the stuff and can hardly get enough.
I always have my LED poi and cotton wool bag safety poi around the hoese for experiments and fountaining around the lounge. I normally come up with new moves with those rather than my heavy cathedral wicks called the Weet Bix as they soak up all the liquid. I tend to twirl single staff without fire a lot too. I like not having a time limit on my twirling

UYI wink OLDSKOOL