• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Laser eye surgery & hullo again all

Login/Join to Participate

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Total posts: 643
Posted:Hullo again all!

Been away for a break while it was too miserable outside to think about all the spinning time I was missing...

...had to come back and say hello biggrin and hope everyone's well... and to tell a little story - I wore glasses you see...

Anyone who spins and wears glasses will know how this rather complicates things - poi hitting your face can smash glasses, send them flying, pop out contact lenses etc. and it's a bloody nightmare frankly if mine fell off.

So I decided to do something about it and had my eyes zapped - and it's amazing biggrin had PRK/LASEK rather than LASIK as that's not safe for spinners (or arguably at all) so it's slow rather than sudden but wow....... oh wow.

Hullo smile I can see you :P hug

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete Topic

woodnymph

woodnymph

Total posts: 313
Posted:waveWelcome back,i remember you from way back when i stumbled upon this site....

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:I actually had LASIK. It's safe, as are the other methods. However, the recovery period sucks.

*blink* Hey, I can't see anything!

*blink blink blink blink* Oh, that's better.

*blink* Hey! I can't see again!

ubblol

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Stebbins
BRONZE Member since Dec 2002

10th degree spoon weilder

Total posts: 171
Posted:Oh this is great.. I was starting to think about doing the laser eye thing now that i have as little coin in pocket.. What are the differences between the two.. Mike said something about recovery time.. how long is it and what can you do? The think is I have to be able to see my board in order to teach.. would recovery affect that? Also what about night vison? Does that go down at all??? Which is the safest way??

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:My friend had one of 'em and was over the moon with the results. Apparently it's very difficult to imagine what it's like to have bad eyes, if you've never had to wear glasses.

Good to see you back Frosty. Ray was beginning to speculate that you weren't a real person but someones alter-ego. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

OrangeBobo
SILVER Member since Nov 2003

OrangeBobo

veteran

Total posts: 1389
Posted:Heya, welcome back!!

As for the laser eye surgery.. Oh man I wish I could do that, but I'm too young, and my eyes are *still* changing... *still* getting worse, like they have been for the past eight years! My dad once said that for my eighteenth birthday, he was going to get me that done... But I doubt it.

Also there's another eye compication I have that might not allow me to recieve the laser eye treatment... bah -.-'

But that's awesome for you!! no glasses OR contacts (which are a hassle) I can't imagine what that's like anymore! tongue

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Delete

vanize
SILVER Member since Aug 2001

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3899
Posted:yeah, I want to get the eye correction done, but I can't because I'll be disqualified from my dream job if I do, and I've been working towards it for way too long to do that to myself.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:what's that then Vanize?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

vanize

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:astronaut corps

-v-

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:that sounds really cool. im supposed to wear my glasses all the time, but i never do, in fact i dont even know where they are right now. i think i look really crappy in glasses. I can't have it yet either cos im still growing/still getting blinder. im glad someone can see biggrin

Delete

simian

simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY

Total posts: 3149
Posted:welcome back, Frosty smile

i am still specsbound and envious.

So whats it like to be able to shoot lasers out of your eyes now? confused

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:Hello stranger! smile

By the way, what happens after laser surgery when the eyesight could get worse, for example, through pregnancy, old age, etc? Can it be done again?

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Supafly
BRONZE Member since Apr 2001

TNT

Total posts: 173
Posted:I had LASIK done on my eyes last year and love the results. I have had 20/20 vision ever since the surgery. Yes, you can get your eyes corrected once again if they get worse because of a mistake or old age. I bought the lifetime package where any "enhancements" that are needed are free if you need them. One thing LASIK cannot correct for though is called Presbyopia. That is where the muscles around your eyes atrophy from old age and this affects your close-up vision. This condition happens to almost everyone and is the reason many of your parents need "reading glasses". No big deal though as this condition does not affect near-sightedness (which is why most people opt for LASIK surgery).

As far as recovery time goes, I had my surgery done at 11am and had my brother drive me home afterwards. Your vision is immediately corrected after the surgery (which take a total of about 15 minutes) but it takes your eyes about 6 months to fully heal. There was also mild discomfort for about a day where it felt like a had a grain of sand in my eye, no big deal though as the doctor gives you drops for this. I slept for about 8 hours that afternoon, woke up that evening, and drove myself to the store. Your night vision is a bit off for a few weeks afterwards due to Halos around lights. I thought they were rather trippy and actually missed seeing them once my eyes healed.

If any of you are thinking about having the surgery, go online and do tons of research. You only have one pair of eyes and I'd make sure I was fully informed of the risks beforehand making such a huge decision. The procedure doesn't work AS WELL for people with Asytigmatisms, Cataracts, Thin Corneas, or Near Sightedness (ie, the risks are greater that your vision won't be completely corrected).

I worn glasses for about 15 years and have been completely thrilled with the results. I'm also about the 6th one of my friends to have this procedure and all of them nor have perfect vision as well. Sorry, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about PRK and anything to do with Radial Karatotomy. My advice is to stay away from that route.

There is also a newer procedure called Intra-LASIK where a laser (instead of a keratome) is used to cut the corneal flap and the results are supposed to be even better. So check it out and good luck to you.
beerchug

Fear the evil monkey!

Delete

onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252
Posted:For those interested in natural alternatives there's the Bates method of correcting vision and various variations on it.

It claims that vision can be rectified through exercises, some based on relaxing the eyes and visualising prefect blackness, others involve alternatly focusing on near and distant objects.

Bates believed that glasses often made vision worse as the user becomes dependant on them.

I have had defective distance vision since I was a child.

Although I found the Bates method fascinating, I never had the commitment/patience to test it out properly, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

Also, I've come to suspect that on some emotional level, I prefer the world slightly blurred.

One thing I did follow was to not wear corrective lenses, and I do feel that that is why my vision hasn't deteriorated over the last 20 years.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

pounce
SILVER Member since Jan 2003

pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart

Total posts: 9831
Posted:i can say that bates theory isn't exactly right.

i've worn glasses since i was 6 years old. or i should say, i was supposed to wear glasses since age 6. i rebelled for awhile and refused to wear my glasses. and my vision didn't get better, it got worse.

ironically, over the past 3-4 years, my vision has got better. i was down to a -8 and -7.5 in my right and left eye, respectively, and i'm now at a -6 and -6.5 (or is it a -5.5 and -6.....*scratched head* i can't remember). at any rate, i've been wearing my contacts every day of my life since age 13, and my glasses prior to that since around age 8. i've been told i'm an excellent candidate for lasik surgery because i'm not only fairly stable in my vision, but i'm actually getting better.

i do plan on getting the surgery within the next few years.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

vanize

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:the Bates method works well for some forms of vision problems, but not all of them. My brother was very nearsighted when he was little and had little depth perception and the eye excercises helped him tremendouly. I have astigmatism and the excercises never helped me at all, despite my father making me do them for years in hopes that it would help.

-v-

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:So the procedure for LASIK is as follows:

The patient is given some mild sedation (with Valium or similar). This makes you fear NOTHING. It's really incredible, actually.

The patient is brought into the operating room and placed in a chair like a dentist chair. A speculum is inserted into the eye to keep the lid from closing. A numbing eyedrop is instilled in the eye.

A suction device is maneuvered into place over the eye to fix it in position. A sharp blade called a microtome then moves across the cornea, lifting up a veeeery thin sheet of it. The patient is then asked to fixate on a red dot of light.

A UV laser is aimed at the cornea, vaporizing it so that it assumes the new shape.

The ophthalmologist then puts the flap of cornea back in place, smooths it over, and instructs the patient to close his eye.

The procedure is repeated on the other eye (if applicable).

Clear eye shields are taped over each eye and the patient is sent home to return to the office early the next morning, where the patches are removed and the patient is given a prescription for antibiotic eye drops that will be used 3-4 times a day for one week.

After I had my procedure, I found that for the first week, I had very decreased night vision and that I was very sensitive to glare. Bright light was insanely painful, especially if I had a flashlight shone into my eyes at night. I also got a headache as I adjusted to the new prescription.

After one week, the worst is over, but your vision still goes randomly blurry at times and you have to blink repeatedly to restore it.

By one month, I was completely back to normal...except that I no longer have to wear glasses.

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:Argh the Bates method... look out for this one... it can mess your eyes up further according to some reports, and despite proponents touting it for 50 odd years it's yet to be shown to be effective or true - it works on the theory that you focus by changing the shape of your eyeball, rather than the lens - just ain't so.

As to procedures/recovery times - that's the main difference between the two.

LASIK takes 4 hours till you can see OK, and doesn't hurt.
PRK takes days till you can see OK - it takes a week to see as well as LASIK people do after four hours - and does hurt, for some people, but painkillers sort that out.

The thing is... LASIK's not as safe frown or not by my research - the suction ring can make your vitreous humour detach, which won't damage your vision but can leave you with floaters or a much greater tendency to develop them, and the flap complications are nightmares. The flap never heals either, and while it's really hard to knock loose i'd rather not have that risk at all - especially with balls flying around my head. They will completely refuse to give LASIK to boxers and the like, and I figure we fall into that category.

PRK is all on the surface - no suction ring, no cutting a flap, virtually no doctor interaction at all, so there's sod all to go wrong. No flap later means you'll never have to deal with any of those risks and it seems to turn out better end results. More of your cornea is left untouched so it's more likely you can be treated again if so needed.

But it does take longer to see right. I had my surgery three weeks ago I still have a faint double image but it shrinks every day as the surface resmooths itself, which is also where the advantage comes - that surface grows until it's as smooth as it possibly can be, something that never happens in LASIK as the area that's been zapped is in an area that doesn't heal. This also reduces the night vision issues, which do affect a lot of LASIK people even if only slightly.

It's your own call of course, but I wanted to veer on the side of caution over speed and comfort. Got back to work in a week, but will be a while before my vision settles completely.

So now i've gone from -4 and -4.5 to -0.25 and -0.5 and still improving. Keeps making me giggle that there's nothing in front of my face, that I can see in the shower/mornings/washing my face and occasionally I feel really naked somehow. very very odd.

And like deepsoulsheep says the strangest thing is that not only could you not explain how you saw before the surgery, there's no way on earth you could explain how odd the whole experience is - 14 seconds of crazy light, then they put a drop in my eye and i can see the roof for the first time in my life.... bizzare!

If you're wondering whether to do it I say get a move on, it's amazing and almost a crime it's not offered to everyone suitable automatically. Do the research, ask the questions, find a good doctor and be free!

Forgive the long ramble... just almost ready to shake everyone I see still wearing glasses and ask them why they've not done it yet! It's a little miracle. beerchug ubbrollsmile

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

onewheeldave

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Quote:
Argh the Bates method... look out for this one... it can mess your eyes up further according to some reports

Not wanting to get into a 'defending the Bates method' scenario, as, like I said I've not really tried it.

But, regarding the above quote, and seeing this kind of thing being used to put down many of the alternative therapy approaches, I've got to point out that's it's not a fair point given that the any orthodox treatment can also make things worse too:-

Quote:

The thing is... LASIK's not as safe frown or not by my research - the suction ring can make your vitreous humour detach, which won't damage your vision but can leave you with floaters or a much greater tendency to develop them, and the flap complications are nightmares.

Alternative cancer treatments, for example, are often slated because of cases where the patient dies, without equal appreciation that many cancer patients die when undergoing orthodox treatments as well.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:That's why people should demand scientifically valid proof that the technique works - and there doesn't appear to be any. 1-3% not-perfect LASIK results is rather different to no evidence that it works at all, and you can always do PRK if you're not in such a rush.

Which is a shame, as a few eye exercises would be preferable to glasses/surgery!

There seems to be more regulation coming in now on alternative therapies and the like, which is a Good Thing I think - they will either be shown to work and be embraced, or people will get to save a lot of money, time and possibly suffering.

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:hey frosty! incidently, our old friend ray dropped back breifly a few weeks back - he said he missed arguing with you. ubblol

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

onewheeldave

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Quote:
That's why people should demand scientifically valid proof that the technique works...............

............There seems to be more regulation coming in now on alternative therapies and the like, which is a Good Thing I think - they will either be shown to work and be embraced, or people will get to save a lot of money, time and possibly suffering.

As I've posted before on this issue, though it seems initially reasonable to demand scientific proof of the effectiveness of alternative therapies, looking a little deeper shows that it is a little impractical.

The fact that many alternatives have no real profit potential for the pharmacutical industry which funds the relevant scientific testing, and given that the testing is incredibly expensive, creates a real problem.

i.e. who is going to fund the tests?

Pharmacutical mega corporations aren't going to fund tests that may establish a cheap and accessible alternative to the drugs/techniques they produce, and alternative therapists don't have the money.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Delete