Forums > Social Chat > Reality! where are you!?!?!?

Login/Join to Participate

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i feel so weird at the moment, like any second i could wake up at home age 11 and it was all a weird dream. I feel like my life is living itself without me and i'm just doing what i'm told. I feel distant - if you've ever heard the pink floyd song 'comfortably numb', that's how i feel. it's not like depression, just numbness.

anyone else ever had this, how do i motivate myself to start caring, i feel like i'm alienating everyone around me cause i can't concentrate, or remember how it feels to like them.

Help!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ive been like tha for many yrs, im sure all of my life is a dream, cos time seems to pass to sureally for it to be real life!

i keep thinking i will wake up in my captains bed with my thomas the tank engine dovet cover, and my lil pillow!

i dont knwo, i think you just end up living with it, i would recomend pro plus to get you going in the morning, when i used to have to start at 6am @ BP petrol station, i would muncg a box, and be ok for a while!

not sure what custom advice i could give you, bar look at what you have, and talk to some one who cares for you about it!?

maybe a shrink?

it helped me, scared me witless but helped me!

on a plus note, you know you aint dreaming, cos you cant read in your dreams, the part of your brain used for reading and dreaming aint linked, they are in diff parts, so reading this meansa you are awake!

pm me if you would like to talk hug

Step (el-nombrie)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
life just gets more bizzare the older you get. stuff like this hits me more often than I like to admit.

For me it is a matter of self will to keep myself from getting into that limbo-funk. A serious challenge (or even a minor one) can bring you out though. Find something to do and conquer it is the best distraction for me - something you've been meaning to do or learn. the motivation may not be there for it at first, but if you make yourself do it, you may find that your enthusiam for it snowballs and then spreads over into other parts of your life.

It may not work for you, and doesn't always work for me, but it is worth a try, no?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

on a plus note, you know you aint dreaming, cos you cant read in your dreams, the part of your brain used for reading and dreaming aint linked, they are in diff parts, so reading this meansa you are awake!

Erm...I had a dream about time travel, and we went back to dinosaur times but trod on a few things and when we came back things were spelt differently....how could I tell they were spelt different if you can't read in a dream? I've also had dreams about road signs too....

Maybe I was actually awake and I've time travelled!! cool biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Sorry a little off topic there for a moment.....I can't say I've experienced what you're feeling Star but maybe a therapist would be a good idea. After all they're trained to help you to uncover and find your own answers as apposed someone having a theory for you

in the meantime hug

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
It's totally normal. I know how you feel, and i get it fairly regularly (about every year for a few weeks). Could go into all sorts of theries on why i think it accurs... but it is just random thoughts and i won't bore you with them.
Umm... it will pass. i know that doesn't help but you just have to sort of let your brain take it's course sometimes. I am not suggesting just accepting that you are feeling like shite, but don't think there really is a quick fix. I have actually learnt to almost enjoy my down periods. I become detatched from the world and even my friends. An observer, not really interacting or caring. But it can be one of the best times to get to know yourself. Our brains are still 99% mystery, even to ourselves. We tend to spend all of our time flitting from one experience to the next, trying to find distractions from what our brain is trying to tell us, and never really being still, and quite, and introverted. We are (more then, but for this point smile) two people, the conscious and the subconscios, and this can be a good time to try to understand how they interact.
I reverse my days, so i am awake while everyone is asleep (NA if you have a 9 to 5), and spend my time painting, or sewing, or spinning. weavesmiley Or go on long walks in the country. I don't neglect my friends, they know that i am always there to help them, but they understand that occassionly i will have periods where i can't be as 'up' or see them as much as usual. They know and love me enough to just accept that i am going through a down patch and to let me know that they are there to help me, and that they will be there when i feel like going out and having 'fun' again. I sometimes have to bite my tongue to stop from snapping at my best friend, because i just don't care at that time, but you just have to sort of 'remember you love them'.
This may not be the best way to handle it, but i am so acustum to my brains little chemicle tantrums that i just sort of accept them. I just moniter it, if it gets any worse, or effects your relationships, or continues for too long then do see someone. Like Mech says, it might help alot. And 'numbness' can become worse. frown Also, your sure there isn't a cause?
Of course, you may be experiencing something totally different. This is all just my opinion, and i am not very good at expressing it. I sorta come across as a know-all, unfeeling bitch, but i do really love everyone, and you do to, you just arn't really feeling it at the moment. Sorry for filling up your page, just wanted you to know that you are not alone, and it will pass!!

hug ubblove hug ubblove hug ubblove hug ubblove hug ubblove hug ubblove hug ubblove hug hug ubblove hug (let me know if you need anymore! ubbangel)

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Hey Marf, Pink floyd have had an amazing effect on many walks of life, I, myself being a fan, the lyrics can make you contemplate, but the feelings your sharing are coming from the heart. Staying true to what you believe means alot, try to be your own person and stay true to what you feel at the end of the day you are in control if you want to be. Feel free to PM me if you want. smile wave

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey Tao Star.

I experience what you're dealing with at the moment in the midst of winter every year. I go into a hibernation mode; become quite reclusive and somewhat despondent.

At the moment it's glorious Australian summer and I feel very alive and in tune with my centre, able to share more of my energy with others and have more stamina to achieve different things. But in winter, I spend much of the time looking forward to the warmth and freedon of summer. I think perhaps my disonnectedness is related to the fact that I spend that time not "in the now", I don't allow myself to just be.

Your nick is Tao Star, so I can only assume you understand the dynamics of chi and meditation. I'd recommend some sacred time; time to meditate, accept and love yourself and your world.

Other than that, eat food with lots of Tryptophan (bananas, turkey etc) or take 5-htp. These are the precursors to seratonin and regulate mood, sleeping patters etc.

And, lastly, try and get some time in the sun. It does wonders for the soul.

peace

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
I think you may have something there,about the weather affecting us,cos i feel the same way,tao star,well,i felt that today and i sort of curled up on the sofa,had a little cry about nothing and everything and had a nap...i didn't feel like myself....and the weather in feb in uk is sh*t,grey,grey and more grey......have a virtual hug! hug

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
i have that

and its really unfair cuz its just when i need to work most, cuz of exams up n coming, neva mind corsework...

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD rather appropriately!)

Basically bad weather and not much natural daylight upsets some folks gets them down, I get it to but am learning to ignore it as much as possible now I'm consiously aware of it!!

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
They used to try and get over it with bright lights and just sitting infront of a block bright light while you ate breakfast and watched tv in the morning. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing something about it not working... I could look it up

I get it too, I had it about a week after new years, started questioning everything I was doing and just myself in general. Then all my old theories started spinning round my head again, I just get wierded out and despondent for a while usually around winter...
Feel better hug hug

Monkeys monkeys and bananas