Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I just took delivery of my first Meteors, I've done a search on the Tech section but not come up with anything, has anyone got any moves for me to try that aren't already standard Poi/Staff moves? I mean moves just for Meteors?

Any tips would be cool too! Thanks biggrin wave

Let's relight this forum ubblove

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
look in the old board, under other toys. two main threads that i can remember.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Thanks Arashi beerchug

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yeh, but nothin new has been posted..I tried to revive it a whle ago, but no bites frown

I've been practicing alot w umm ubbidea.. contact meteor? for lack of a better term. There's alot of fun to be had with it, Rob got me playing with it, with that claim of a full steve with meteor, which made me insanely jealous rolleyes

But it has opened up a ton of new moves..Take your pinwheel, for example, once you get it forward, backward, btb pass, there are alot of 'carries' you can do without using hands based on the pinwheel, using neck, shoulder, legs(to a smaller degree). Then alot of variations are to be had using thru wraps in the middle of these 'carries' that look gorgeous. I don use any o those solid center meteors either rolleyes

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
respec. thats some sick [censored]. :nod: eek

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Thanks Musashii, those are the kind of moves I had in mind when I bought them. Wrapping it round any part of my body I could get away with! Thing is it's so damn long how do you manage to wrap just one leg...or just one arm? I've never done contact before so it's a little mysterious, I can understand it with Staff but how do you limit the amount of 'twirls' around your leg etc?
Do you have to un-wrap like in poi with a little bounce and a pull or is it more of a case of a single touch like staff? Sorry to go on but I wanna get stuck in so I can be reasonably good by summer when I make some out of kevlar rope.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
just a suggestion... but how about trying out some rope dart based wraps? it's gotta be similar in some ways or maybe you might even find a whole new style of meteor?!!?
there's a thread under others toys somewhere...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah checked that thread in the 'other' section, but nothing much apart from bickering and opinion as apposed to tips on using it.

Never mind....the search continues..... wave

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
hehe,

watch out for a meteor video section on spherculism. it's my next misson after cataloging all my poi moves.

i'd say just play with it. i discovered a load of patterns in the horizontal plane and they are still my favourites. Guess you would call it contact meteor. I have no language for describing them.

Considering that you can do all your poi moves, all your staff moves, rope dart moves, hyperloops, throws, behind the back, under the leg, a huge ammount of crazy wraps and a load of meteor moves then I figure you just wanna go practice. Which i haven't done since samothraki sunshine, roll on spring.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Thanks Musashii, those are the kind of moves I had in mind when I bought them. Wrapping it round any part of my body I could get away with!

Thats why I love them..PPP is right, it's a combination of some of my favorite toys, poi, staff, rope dart...

Quote:

Thing is it's so damn long how do you manage to wrap just one leg...or just one arm? I've never done contact before so it's a little mysterious, I can understand it with Staff but how do you limit the amount of 'twirls' around your leg etc? Do you have to un-wrap like in poi with a little bounce and a pull or is it more of a case of a single touch like staff?

It depends on what length your meteors are..Sounds like they might be too long for you. Course some ppl like em long, it's really all about knowing the dynamics of the toy wink Dunno if you know about or have seen traditional meteor use, but that's what I focused on after I had translated most of my poi moves. Traditional use is like staff work, you're building up enough momentum so that your meteor is straight like a staff. Thats where your pinwheels(vertical, most of the stuff I do is vert) and helicopters(horizontal) come in. N it's more painful, but to get these right I had to double the weight on the ends to get these working consistently. You can do wraps either way(bounce like poi - recoil wrap, or single touch - thru wrap), currently I like the thru wraps better, just flows better for me. To limit the # of rotations or twirls wink around something, just remember the same principle in thru wraps n hyperloops - that if it tangles/wraps in one direction, it will untangle/unwrap in the opposite direction. Also it's that traditional meteor use that keeps the momentum to unwrap(for the kind of contact work I'm talking about) as well, you don't have to worry about slack to trip you up, and it will. If you want some inspiration, look up meteor use by chinese acrobats/performers..I've seen double meteors spun using just the arms, no hands, think I heard on here about a pic of a chinese acrobat using three too eek

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
What a nice helpful thread.
Wired up meteors a little while ago, i can do a lot of poi but not a lot of staff so when i try to break out of weaves and go into staff spins i find that difficult, im trying to practice contact staff too so theres more i can do with them, at the moment i find them more limiting than poi but i can feel the possibilities are much greater with such a simple toy.
ill post again when i find out how to do...anything
ta for the advice.
smit

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Cheers PPP, I forgot to check your site! *slaps self on wrist..but not too hard*

They're the monkey fist Meteors from here, 7 feet jobbies, I'm 6'4" so I don't think they're too out of proportion from what I hear, it's just I prefer short poi so they feel MASSIVE!! It doesn't help that I've pulled a muscle across my back so I'm not to flexible at the mo.

Cheers for the tips guys, I've had a search for the traditional Meteor stuff but only seem to find info about the art as a whole and it's history as apposed to the tips & pointers I'm looking for. Still I won't be put off, there's enough folks here to help and I think One Wheeled Dave plays with them too....

beerchug

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
really? did you find the "meteors... definitive thread?" that had quite a few beginner tips in it. curious.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Nope didn't find that....didn't look in the old board tho...

*runs off to ye olde Home Of Thee Poi*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ah much better. Why didn't I look there before?!......still all comes to those who wait! biggrin

Thanks!! : hug

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
This thread should really be in the other toys section, as its blatantly about an 'Other Toy'.

Please keep your postings in the relevant section.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Sorry J I thought I was in 'Others' when I posted it so I've been waiting for it to get shifted over...bout time!! biggrin beerchug

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok so my back is better (woohoo) so I've been spinning my meteors for the first time...man they're heavy! Gets some getting used to but they rock. Found the helicopter moves quite tricky but i've never really spent any time on staff so gotta nail these...but....did manage to nail some really cool double dart throws going into BTB one handed switch hands weaving! Choice biggrin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I saw a guy recently doing the best traditional meteor Ive seen, and one thing that stands out was just how fast he went. His meteors were very heavy (ie 1/2 kilo on each end) and he really cained it, this maintained a lot of tension and allowed him to do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Ive seen other excellent meteor practitioners (FairyBen and Nick (of Drome juggle workshop fame)) do a slower wrappier style but I have to say that their style is more contemporary, and has less of the traditional chinese feel to it.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
That sounds wicked Josh?
I've just found the vids posted here and they're ace...if anyone knows of any others I'd love to hear about em!

*only one proper spin and already in lurve with meteors ubblove*

addict
469 posts

Posted:
okay so after going to joes and actually seeing some people do meteors ive decided to have a more serious go and actually put some effort in and make something good to practice with and as i was making kit yesterday i thought id make some.
so i now have ever so slightly stretchy sock meteors and erally erally heavy headed light chained fire meteors.
the only ones i had used previosly were on-the-spot conversions (ooh heres a spare bit of chain, lets wire it to the poi and see what happens!!) and not much good. chain too heavy heads too light and it dragged iself off down everytime a made a slight error.
they were punishing.
now i cando some nice contact stuff. kepp them spinning like a devil;stick on one stick usiong my arm and do a behind the back pass as well. just started to play with horizontal stuff and its a hell of a lot of fun.
constant above the head spin contacted round one hand anyone.
so life is full of meaty goodness at the mo. im off to practice more.

this one is shorter

raver-softiBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hi wave
I play meteor too and I try to make a website about it.
My English is a little bad. Thats why the site is written in german. Perhaps i will make online lessons on it.
You will find my first fireperformance there biggrin
web page
Enjoy it!

LG
raver-softi

PS: If you have videos, you are welcome to send me some.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Beginner Tips for Meteor

I'm very new to all this circusfreak stuff (one month of poi, two weeks of meteor under my belt) so this is for anyone else having problems getting going with meteor. I couldn't get OWDs video to work on either mine or my dads PC (so i guess other people could have this problem also,) and it was annoying having to look up the old forum, so here is my attempt to help people a little bit.

Blatantly the first thing everyone wants to get nailed is a staff-like rotation on the vertical plane, cos thats cool. If you are having problems, consider:

Making it longer. I started off with a 1.1m chain connecting my wicks and it was way hard. Increased chain to 2m and momentum was a lot easier to achieve.

Add weight to the ends While I don't need to now, phew, while starting up I found it alot easier to add the wicks from my poi to the chain, just below my original wicks. This doubled the weight and again made momentum a lot easier to maintain.

Start from weave If you can already do a poi-like weave, get this going and then when it is on your left-hand side, let go with your right hand (or vica verca) and the meteor will spring out into a clean rotation which you can keep spinning. I found this a lot easier than just trying to spin it from dead.

If you are using a chain bind the middle I was just using a regular chain and I found it was hard to keep hold of - every now and again it would slip and just lace off towards my friends in a scary manner. I've now bound the middle 30cm of the chain with string, using electrical tape every 7cm or so to keep it taught. It's still pretty flexible, but its easier to hold, and makes it easier to stop the wicks catching up with each other.

And the first few times you try a behind the backk pass keep your head and body as far forward as you can (bend at the waist.) This should help prevent concusion. And a split eyebrow. Fact.

Throws Stick something at the centre of the meteor so you know where it is. If you don't think you're going to catch it smoothly, don't try, or it will hit you in the balls. Even if you are a girl.

Davy : : :

CTHobbitBRONZE Member
God Emperor Hobbit
15 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I've been spinning poi for a while, and am looking to try meteors. I'm trying to find the "old board" and I found the archive of the original board but nothing with the title of "meteors...definitive" or sections for "other toys". Is there something that I'm missing? Could anyone post a link to the old threads?

Also, has anyone bought the Meteors book with the little flame-headed guy on the cover? I was thinking about getting the book and knotting myself up some monkey's fists.

Thanks!

Ben

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
People may have problems with the daylight meteors vid (dave_meteors.avi) as it needs the Div X codec, which can be downloaded for free at Div x's site.

I've not used Div X on my recent vids as some people have had problems with it.

I've now also got a fire meteor vid up, address is on my movie links page here: -

https://www.firedanceuk.com/videos/dave/vids.html

it's a .wmv file so hopefully there shouldn't be any problems if you've got a recent version of windows media player.

===========

I agree with most of your tips, especially the one about a handle in the middle of the chain.

However I have strong reservations about this: -

Written by: nilid69

Blatantly the first thing everyone wants to get nailed is a staff-like rotation on the vertical plane, cos thats cool. If you are having problems, consider:

I believe this move is usually called the 'rotor', and IMO it's the most difficult of all the basic moves.

I spent months trying to nail it because I learnt years ago when there was no info on learning meteors and it was the most obvious thing to try.

My advice to beginners is to leave the rotor till you've got other, easier moves and combinations, then approach it from those, rather than attempting it on its own.

To elaborate on that: -

Start with your poi moves (this approach does assume a good grounding in poi), weaves, turns etc- you need to get used to the restriction of having your hands close together.

Then learn how to slot in an occasional single turn of a rotor by releasing a hand from the weave, doing the rotor turn, then going straight back into weave.

When you're happy with this, do two turns of the rotor etc- building up from there.

I found complex looking moves like alternate behind the back passes to be way easier than sustained rotor; going into a weave stabilises the meteors and passing behind back actually has a splaying out effect, making them attain the 180 degrees straight line position.

Harder moves than weaves combinations and BTB passses are anything that involves one hand figure eights (expect to take some hits to the back of the head when learning these), and then the rotor is harder than those.

Of course, that's just my experience, maybe others can benefit from a different approach, but, for me, meteors came together when I approached them from a poi perspective.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Yeah I didn't have a good grounding in poi, I'd pretty much got the 3bt weave nailed when I got going with the meteor, but I guess thats not normally what happens.

I've not met anyone that can do any more moves than me with either yet (damned market towns) so tbh I don't even know what an "alternate" btb pass is!

Got that vid working now, cheers, its super.

And yes, you have been officially roped into helping me play meteor once I get to Sheffield, Dave, look forward to it. smile

Respect
Davy

addict
469 posts

Posted:
just a quick thanks to onewheeldave for those vids, I have seen little meteor so some nice ideas in there. and you got the
'walking under the butterfly' move. i have been working on one where you keep the butterfly in one hand totally stationary and slowly walk round it. tricky but i can get form one side to the other.
also.........

I found complex looking moves like alternate behind the back passes to be way easier than sustained rotor; going into a weave stabilises the meteors and passing behind back actually has a splaying out effect, making them attain the 180 degrees straight line position.

.......could not agree more with this statement, bhtb pass being about the third thing i ever got with meteors.

have you tried fishtailing with the meteors???
i do mean the same named staff move and its tricky, a prize for the first vid of a meteor fishtailing i think.

this one is shorter

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
shaite... i really need help doing the infront rotor... :S
just cant get a grip of it...:(

youre like the diet coke of evil. just one calorie, not evil enough.

1,148 posts

Posted:
work your way up to it. Try sustaining it for one revolution, then two, etc. Works better than simply focusing on the move, more like slowly adding it into your reportoire

Ars Pyronomica

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Make sure you can do it well with a staff first. That should help.

addict
469 posts

Posted:
throws the only throws i have found seem to be from butterfly.
i.e upwards butterfly to release, if you try this you will notice that the meteors seem to 'ping' , by that i mean that the heads swap sides and back . just throw and youll see what i mean
timing the correct amount of 'pings' is what helps your throws from this move, obvoiusly the higher the throw, the more 'pins you get.
favourite throw move at the mo. do a corkscrew as per poiupon reaching the point where you would bring your hands back above your head hold your hands together so that the heads spiral inwards wrapping around eafch other, let them wrap up and half unwrap at which point you throw them vertically , the chains will magically untangle in mid air and come down as a practically straight peice of chain, nice and easy to catch in butterfly.
if your parcticing at night with fire, get a couple of those tiny tiny glowsticks and put one in the middle of the chain it'll help you see where you have to catch to get your butterfly going#
all for now. really need to get a video

this one is shorter

Page: