p.h.o.b.o.smember
11 posts

Posted:
since ive come to somewhat of a halt in my poi-learning at the moment, ive decided to try and pick up staff...what were the best ways to start in your opinion? just curious and bored. I like hearing other peoples ideas of starting these arts without getting hurt. when i first picked up poi, i used electrical tape on the balls...and WHAM! 3 inch bruise up the side of my leg that lasted for a week. Just trying to avoid any of those incidents with staff...! eek
<3
phobos
biggrin

Je suis le dieu de les pamplemousses! adorez moi!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
do the lessons on the site and twirl slow

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Cheap and good learning sticks:

broom handle + tennis balls whacked on the end

or

broom handle + pipe insulation taped on the ends

nice feel to both for spinning and contact and throws
and they don't hurt much even when you forget to twirl slow smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
get a good pole, go to a hardware shop and see if theyve got anything like a replacement handle for a long shovel, or a nice thick peice of wood, get it as long as your comfortable with, chin height is a good measure, and although you wont find a very heavy one, heavy is better.

Do not pad the ends. You gota get used to taking a few hits, and it cant kill you, and its more fun. If you wannaa learn contact its a good idea to weight the ends, but dont be afraid of the stick, stick is your friend. biggrin

start learning the figure eights in both directions, and passing between the hands. Then get your body turning, with the staff moving, learn to piroette with the staff. get into throwing early, and vertical stuff requires a bit more working out but is very fruitfull. Have a look at some martial arts stuff for difrent ways to pass and stop the staff. have fun, play! biggrin

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Do not pad the ends. You gota get used to taking a few hits, and it cant kill you, and its more fun.

ubblol you are such a sadomasochist

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ubbtickled nd he has to be, I don't call this bruise underneath my left eye exactly fun.. wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I hear ya man, my eye's still sore... tongue

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

QualityTeinemember
4 posts

Posted:
You could also use plain newspaper to wrap the ends, but bind them hard with electrical tape. Make sure your staff isn't light, and if it's too long for you it'll feel oddly weighted.

Paaiinn goooddd..... I want machete-fireknife... much chance of getting fingers cut? heh....