Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Heya folks hope all is well in your twirly abodes...
I do a little bit of contact juggling (badly) but have been having heaps of fun mixing it with 'normal' toss juggling. I've been mostly using three hacky sacks which make the contact catches much easier (and less bruising), whilst still being firm enough to roll around. There seem to be a few glow ball products online that claim to be hackey sack like. Are there any that someone would be able to recomend? I always hate ordering things with out getting to poke them and sniff them first.
I did check the old posts but could only find reference to some squishy wonders that cost $58 EACH... Sounds wonderful and squishy indeed, but would break my banana bank.
Much ubblove & tongueeace:,
Kyle

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=960&cat=700&path=

Rainbow hackey sacks strobe 3 colors. The on-off switch (dial, actually) is inset enough that you could probably contact juggle with it, but you might feel it being a bit harder on one little portion (about an inch across) than the rest of it. Happy CJing smile

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Much thanks Mr Padawan. As far as playage goes these things look ideal. I muight look just a little bit more though to see if I can find something longer lasting power wise. I'm very tempted to go ahead and grab a couple hand fulls of the things though; looks very yummy.

Did you have to put in your own batteries to begin with and are they very much to replace?

Love & Stuff,
Kyle

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
the glo hackey sacks tend to be a odly shaped cos of the batteries... if you want smoother longer lasting balls it's all about aerotechs, the only problem is the cost!
i'm pretty sure i know someone's whose hacky sacks last about 10hrs battery time tho...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
check here bout halfway down the page. look for the GloMaster Footbag. would those work for you?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
MAJOR problem with glo hackys as juggling is that they get dirty reallyreally quickly just from hand sweat etcetc.

so after not very long they get really not bright.

i went through 15 before i decided it wasn't worth it.

passepasse make loooovely and quite cheap globalls.
(well compared to aerotech anyway) and they are even good for contact juggling too....

enjoy
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Personally I think aerotech balls suck, but then i've never actually been able to afford them. You know how blue aerotech balls are rediculously more expensive than red ones, well red LEDs cost around 6p (9c) each and blue ones around 8p (12c) each, and they only have a few LED's. Now the batteries may have to be slightly different but I think they are taking the mickey with their prices.

I suggest buying some batteries opperated fairy lights for £5 a set and creating a unique set of poi yourself. I even picked up an old singer sowing machine for £2!!! Made all mannor of great costumes. Fair play, most of them have to be fixed every 6 months or so but it's a damn sight cheaper.

Have you seen those dodgy aerotech poi yet? Man, they really DO suck ~ the weight's bad, center of gravity sucks, the chains are too heavy for the heads, they are rock solid, blah, blah, blah. But that's just my opinion, as an industrial product designer.

Having said that, I do have seen some great performances with aerotechs, I'm just saying that they are all that.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
it's a fair call on the aeotechs, they are well expensive but compared to other glo stuff i've seen they're a lot more durable and really bright for when you're not in total darkness... cool

as for the poi i just pop my balls in persil bags which works real well and means that for all my money i get both juggling and poi fun!!! that's where their brightness comes into play cos it shines thro stuff. i justify the cost by either money or free entry into clubs i get for glo performances...
if you wanna talk real rip-offs check out the glo-staff... jesus!! eek

still, you can never beat a good set of glo-stick/chains for cheap wholesome fun and for juggling i've wrapped glo-necklaces around clubs before and put glo-sticks in water bottles... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Concerning LED prices, normal LEDs do indeed cost a few pence, but the high intensity variety are considerably more expensive.

At trade prices red, orange and green can be got from Maplins for around 80 pence, but a blue of the same brightness is over £3.00

I used to have a set of aerotech non programmable strobe balls.

Visually they were awesome for 3 ball juggling. Despite the fact that I've done a lot of one ball contact I found them a bit unsuitable, mainly because the weighting was funny- off centered so they didn't roll as well as a contact ball.

Also, contact in the dark didn't seem that good an idea, low light means the moves are harder and the body movements which make contact nice to watch aren't as visible.

I agree that aerotech prices are on the high side, last time I looked the non programmable strobers were £50.

My set was great while it lasted, then two died whilst charging.

I'm not prepared to pay £150 for a set of balls that can just go like that.

Has anyone used the HOP beamer juggling ball? what 're they like for juggling?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
there are a few other reasons for their expensivity, such as guarantees, serious serious durability(waaaaay longer than ANY other glo toy i've ever come accross), programmability etcetc.

still damn expensive tho.

and agreements on the poi frown

R

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The GloMeteor's are lovely I find...

But the GloBalls are too small for nice one ball contact and too sticky for multi-ball stuff like palm-spinning (unless you seperate the balls when palm spinning).

With regards to Aerotech prices, whilst the difference in LED's isn't as much as the difference in price - they are all custom made too. When I ordered my Blue-White GloMeteors they were the first time they'd ever built that combination.
And they're lovely ubblove

Mind you, I keep thinking about asking them to change the white to orange...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Stick with the white dude I bet they look beauty like clouds in the sky maybe? +blue & orange = brown i think well maybe not with aerotechs but you never know
er how are those meteors for swinging as poi? are they a lot heavier than the globalls cause they're nicely on the heavy side but I reckon the meteors look a better shape
aerotech equipment is da bomb and tends to piss all over other glo-stuff and yeah theyre real expensive but a lot of that money goes back into researching and I don't think it'll be too long before you can get downloads for glow sequences off the net + supposedly they're making a UV glo ball

progger

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
uv is already an option.

seems a bit silly tho:

they give you a warning saying 'do not stare into the uv'
and send you the most gorgeous, starable-at piece of equipment around... rolleyes

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
no kidding wonder if theyre gonna sell uv staves biggrin I always wanna spin my uv light but the damn things plugged in

ubbrollsmile
ubbrollsmile

progger

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep they do that too.... custom only.

mmmmmmmmm ubblove

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
bet theyre £600

progger

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
same as any other staff in fact, £220 up to about £375

ubblove

going for a neon husky streetlight staff actually, rather than a partner for my present(expensive but gorgeous) baby, should be arriving in the next few weeks(if my creditcard likes me ubbangel) and if i like it(i.e. if it stands up to some rigorous dropping) then i'll be getting a few more..

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
there is a monkey that is very interested in flashy sticks of the cheaper variety.

he will be sneaking a peek at robs glowing pole of frugality when the opportunity arises...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."