Page:
p.h.o.b.o.smember
11 posts

Posted:
i was born in England, and I havent been back for a very long time.. I was just wondering a few things. Is vegemite still disgusting? Is monster munch still around? Are the Rice Crispie guys still super heroes? does it still effin' rain every day at 2 pm??! Those are the most prominant memories i have from living in London..Croydon, to be exact. Anyone wish to ellaborate?

Je suis le dieu de les pamplemousses! adorez moi!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
yes it still rains all the time. and vegemite or marmite or any of those mite variants are still gross!

biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
Pounce...i beg of u not to swear like that.... vegemite is one of the nicest, most scumptuous, toast speads ever made.....and would u beleive it is one of the worlds richest known sources of vitamin B12.....

i am soooooooooooo upset that u could disrespect Australias most favouritist spread in this manner

but i have to agree with u about the rain and all the othe "Mites", beides vegemite is too expensive to buy neway so there is no prob there

cheers beerchug

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Monster munch was relaunched a few years back but somehow still is not the same as it was when you were a kid. They had curry flavour a while back, really. The rice crispie guys seem to have fallen off the face of the planet and yeasterday at least, it didn't rain at all in the sunny south.

Vegemite will take over the world someday. It's best to pay it respect.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
it raining..............
The rice crispie guys yes they are still super heroes, but theyve gone all 'hollywood' man, seriously i remember where they came from i went to see them at the cavern i knew them when they they were just the little guys and puffed rice wasnt even popular,
some people just totally forget their roots when they sell out
corporate swine they just ruin everything *sobs*
vegemite is still nice and still not as good as marmite and monster munch are still the most rediculously string flavoured crisps, yes picked onion flavour still cause people to go into shock they are that strong
it 9.47 should be raining soon.
smit
in merry old nottingham

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
no way - it doesn't rain all the time, and anyway, english rain is the nicest most refreshing kind that i've had the good fortune to be rained on by.

Yay Marmite!!!
Non-Https Image Link

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i was born in England, and I havent been back for a very long time.. I was just wondering a few things. Is vegemite still disgusting?

Are you sure you were in England? It's Marmite all the way here.
Quote:

does it still effin' rain every day at 2 pm??!

No.
Quote:

Is monster munch still around?

Not very common, and, when found, not as good as they used to be. Especially sad is the complete absense of 'Roast Beef' flavour.
'Fangs' also have dissapeared, but, happpily, salt and vinegar flavour 'Twists' seem to have made a comeback.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
We have monster munch in our vending machine at work. Spicy, Hot, (which actually taste like the same flavour) Pickled Onion and Beef flavour. Things is, a few years ago they brought out "Bitesize" Monster Munch but now the "bitesize" is the normal size so I can't get them over my fingers and wear them like rings anymore! frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Pickled Onion Monster Munch is still the king of corn snacks on these shores, despite the bitesizing. Monster munch always seemed like they were getting smaller while i got bigger, so i'm used to that. But the monsters are different now. The original three monsters were all replaced around the end of the eightes. One of them (the blue one) returned as the face of Smoky Bacon flavour for a while. He may still hold that position.

Despite the inaccurate reports above, the Rice Krispies guys are NOT superheroes with capes and stuff anymore (unless they've changed AGAIN recently). That was a relatively short lived early nineties thing. They are now elves again, with costumes that are similar to the original incarnations, and they look all plasticeney (adverts done by Aardman Studios like Wallace and Gromit, i think).

It is not raining yet, but theres still an hour an quarter until 2pm biggrin

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Pickled Onion Monster Munch is still the king of corn snacks on these shores

Yay pickled onion monster munch!
Non-Https Image Link

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Pickled Onion do rock but beef are better on Peanut Butter sarnies all squished flat together...goooey and crunchy at the same time.......mmmmm....... ubblove

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
You still have to pay a TV license too. When I first heard about it I thoguht it was a joke. Then they told me about the vans that patrol the streets and the 1000 pound fine. that's like AUD$2399.98 And it's a criminal offence. that my friends is a crazy ass country.
Ahh England wave

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i still maintain my original statement. marmite is gross. and i'm sure vegemite is too.

biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
and yes there is still a north south devide!

with the south being VERY expenise, hard to get round in, and full of ppl

the north being very nice, sexy full of nice freindly ppl and cheap!

and did i say teh north was cold?

you get the best weathre up north! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i still maintain my original statement. marmite is gross. and i'm sure vegemite is too.

biggrin

Yey, marmite SUCKS BIG STYLE!! I still maintain my position that it is the devils fuel only suitable for demons and horrid goblins!!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
yay! i knew i loved bug for a reason! ubblol

**giggles**

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
marmite=horibble
tv licence=gay

smokey bacon flavour nik naks were THE BEST thing EVER made. i cannot for the life of me understand why they stopped making them.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
sampi knick naks are the best one!

Step (el-nombrie)

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
yeah i like the scampi nik naks, but they can never match the greatness of the smokey bacon flavour of old.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So mike ginny=tv license?

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
My favorite memory of england was something called the "Sex Maniac's Ball" a friend brought me to. It was...um.....crazy's not the word....

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

p.h.o.b.o.smember
11 posts

Posted:
i know marmite is still disgusting, but i also remember when my dad came back from one of his tours he broght us some vegemite and it was also, gross.
thanks for all the responses...hat about those twiggy things? they look like pretzel sticks but they're actually just really heavily smoked potatoe stick thingys...those are insane.
And yes, as a kid, pickled onion was my favorite flavor ubblol

Je suis le dieu de les pamplemousses! adorez moi!

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
Twiglets ?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
twiglets are yum biggrin although i have to have a drink after evry1 cos they are so hot hehe. scampi flavor nick naks are discusting! how can you put fish with crisps!?!?!?!?!

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i can't stand twiglets.
scampi nik naks are tangy and pungent biggrin which makes it odd that i like them smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Skampi Niks Naks were nice, but Snaps were nicer

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Just moved to New Zealand for a few months where its supposed to be summer.
Nevermind the rain in England, its chucking it down here now dammit!
But I have to say, Tao Star, NZ is the nicest rain, as its still warm even when you are rained on, and its (to quote Forrest Gump) big ol' fat rain, as opposed to (to quote Peter Kay) that fine rain in England that just makes you cold wet and grumpy!

ubbloco hehe I love that little dude

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Can I put in a vote FOR the TV licence? Being brought up on Australian TV where they actually edit bits out of the programme to fit ads in, suddenly finding channels that have NO ADVERTS was a completely amazing experience ( and SBS doesn't count unless you're really into Polish melodrama).

Maybe the Australian sporting prowess is a result of no-one actually wanting to watch the TV of an evening.

Now, if only the BBC would make something that doesn't feature rough Londoners going "ALFIE, you git over 'ere!" or game shows. Lowest common denominator and all that.

Vegemite, vegemite, ra ra ra.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I remember that the crisps labelled "EXTRA HOT CHILLI" were actually like a mild paprika flavour. And paprika as a stand alone flavour? Seems like BBQ or Cajun without most of the other ingredients.
And I remember fried rice was usually called Egg Fried Rice and consisted of egg and rice, fried. Where's all the prawns and peas and bacon and celery and bean sprouts and garlic and sesame oil and all the other yummy things that should be there?
About the so-called "Frozen north" I lived in Durham for a while and the biggest difference to London was 3 degrees lower. How frozen tongue

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Can I put in a vote FOR the TV licence?

I'm with you on that one, the BBC is worth a direct license fee instead of paying indirectly through advertising. Advert free TV is nice and generally they're pretty good programs on the BBC. And to think that there's actually about 5 TV channels and 10 radio stations (analogue & Digital) it's a bargain! biggrin

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Can I put in a vote FOR the TV licence?

I'm with you on that one,

Me too. Just compare the programs on the bbc with the dross they turn out on itv and you can see what a good service it is. I dread the day that the bbc is scrapped and we face adverts every 5 minutes like you get on sky and american tv. ubbcrying

Other things: scampi nik naks = ubblove
marmite = spank ubbcrying

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

Page: