Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Transitions - the next step for my spinning....

Login/Join to Participate

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm finally getting to the point that I can flow freely between all the moves I know. Turns and whatnot are no longer a challenge and I am getting to the point that I don't have to think about every move. I can just dance with it. I'm very happy about this, and especially my recent addition of the forward BTB weave to my repertoire. However, I feel I have reached a plateau.

Upon analyzing my spinning, I have come to the realization that the next step for me is to learn some different transitions. All of my transitions from weave family to butterfly family involve a wrap to reverse the direction of one poi. I'm also having difficulty with changing my planes (e.g. vertical to horizontal).

All that said, I'm not looking for text answers/recomendations. I have tried time and time again, and for whatever reason, I simply can not learn moves from a typed explanation. I guess I'm just too much of a visual learner or something. Unfortuneately, I have a wretched out-of-date computer, so downloading video clips is not practical either.

Sooooo.... enough beating around the bush! Are there videos/DVD's for sale either here or elsewhere that illustrate these kinds of transitions in a "how-to" format? Or not even necessarily "how-to" per say, but maybe a video with some slow spinning where maybe I could see what's going on in these transitions?

I've seen people provide links to video clips in the "video" forum to help people with their questions, are any of those videos available in any medium other than downloading? I can sort of watch video clips on my computer, but not in a manner that I can actually see what's going on in a transition.

Thanks ahead of time for any help/recomendations you all may have!

-Andy-

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I know there are howto videos out there, I'm not sure about where and how in depth they go into what you want.. I guess the best advice I can give is to force yourself into oddball positions and recover it to find those new transitions. I know thats a horribly unhelpful comment but thats about all there is to it, mess up and save yourself, then refine it

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice!

I'm definately going to continue experimenting and trying to find different ways of getting from point "a" to point "b." My biggest hang up at the moment is getting from weave-esque combos to butterfly-esque combos without wrapping.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
If you catch a right handed throw with the handle on the right side of the poi head and start spinning counter clockwise, you'll get in to a butterfly. If you catch it with the handle on the left side, or just pull down instead of up, you'll get back in to weave.

I highly recommend the video "howto" which features PK and a spinner who I don't know, tis how I learned lots of my stuff. All of their videos are top notch, check out https://www.poiinthepark.net
for all their vids.

Just check out the Videos forum and scroll back a few pages and download any small videos you can. Leave it on all night if you have to, don't know if that's an option frown

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The best thing you could do is read this

[Old link]

I've never plateaued since reading it cause you only need yourself for inspiration.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

My biggest hang up at the moment is getting from weave-esque combos to butterfly-esque combos without wrapping.

stalls. basically stop the poi bring it back where it came from.

fairy easy to do, practise with one poi, just expriment with bringing it to a stop by kinda punching through at it, if that makes sense... when you can do that they are just like wraps, but without having to worry about body parts smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no