phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I just got myself a gig to spin fire at this new club opening up in my city. The owner had a request that no else has ever given before, "Can you dress up?". I've never really had a costume for the other gigs i've had. I don't know where to start. What looks good on as a costume when you're spinning fire? I was thinking body paint and such, but that's as far as i've gotten.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
How much does he want you to dress up? Can you dress down?For me, as a girl, id probably go for something like a leather cat suit/leather pants and top. Leather looks good in a show, be it on guys or girls, but if you're not comfortable with that, id go with baggy style pants, and no shirt. That's where your body paint comes in - on the chest and back.I dunno, just a thought.You could always dress up as a martial artist, or maybe tarzan!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
well, my favorite outfit has to be black army shorts/pants, army boots, and some well placed chain. did a show in a gas mask once. looked flockin' great.i'm doing some performance in the end of april for a big leather pride party and am getting some custom made leather trimmed copper armour for my upper legs and upper arms so i can do body wraps while spinning firework chains. the arm armour will be attached by chain to a collar, and the leg armour will be set up like a pair of short chaps. should be interesting. i'll post a piccy or two after the event.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
phunky,Hey babe! Before you determine a costume here are things to concider....Is the opening a themed event? If so, you must stay in that theme.Leather can be limiting. It can be tight, it can be kind of bland in colour options and it can be pricey. Do not limit your mind to that where there are so many cool fabrics out there as well.What type of audience determines what style of costume as well. For instance, Glow worms catsuit wouldn't be suitable for upscale or child friendly place.Normally when someone says "dress up" they mean to dress nice, otherwise they say they would like a costume. Do not be afraid to ask for more specifics, so that you can better serve your coustomer.Other things...shiny is good with fire, but not overdone. Same thing with dark colours.Remember to accessorize but not overdo. Body paints don't work in every environment, neither does any form of nakedness (No shirt, no shoes policy can still apply to performers where the health boards are concerned).My suggestions are to get more info from the person who hired you on exactly what he is looking for. Then you will be in a better position to create the ideal costume.Need to go finish beading mine now! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
id have to aggree with the shirtless idea, with minimal body paint, and considering the employers idea of 'dressing up' as well. What does everyone else wear???? I was going to post this topic but its on kinda the same wavelength as this one wink

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
OH OH OH (hand up) OH I know... do it in a giant chicken suit!!! Yeah Yeah... that'd be cool...Yeah... Heehee flam'in chicken...heeheeheeheeheeheehee oh I'm going to be giggerling for hours thinking about a chicken running around on fire... heehee...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Pyrostixmember
5 posts

Posted:
If you are to dress up, do as you please as long as you follow the basic rules.... no man made fibers. Feathers go up pretty quickly to so Id ditch an indian moteif.Personaly I like the baggy black denem jeans and vest... Bandana as well of course.

keep it glowingPYROSTIX

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
I was only joking in my earlier post about all that leather!! it is practical in the sense it is safer than alot of other materials, but it is pretty expensive!!I completely agree with Pele: Find out more about what the gig is about, and about what they want. Ask them to give you a basic idea of how they want you to dress. I dunno, just a thought smile------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
high visibility orange coverall type floodpants over jeans and a white tshirt, with snobording goggles on the 4head. atracts attention and works like a sweatband.------------------Just a Thought... Ignore it if you wish...

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~