Forums > Social Chat > English/American translation

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I've been told to ask for sickpuppy, but I'm going to see if anyone can help!Explain to me the pitiful American what the heck stout, lager, and bitter are. please?and spirits = liquor ...right?just trying to keep the languages sorted out! thanks guys smile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
One word: BEERI think. They are all different names for beer. And yeah, spirits=alcoholePeace------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
She knows they're all forms of alcohol y'muppet. I told her to chat to puppy because he's the only american I could think of that has been here and drunk lots (obviously he's not the only one. but he's the first that sprung to mind). I thought he could explain the differences to her as he speaks the same language.I couldn't be bothered to explain it all. Call me lazy if you like.

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Stout - start by imagining a beer that is almost the colour of coke. It seems to be a little bit "thicker" when you drink it, & it has bubbles on the top that are so small & thick that they look like cream. (oh, & they hold shapes when you draw in them, so you can draw a little smilie face on your pint). & it should NOT be served ice cold.R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Stout = guinness type drinkslager = miller type beersbitter = ale (I don't think you guys really have ales but they're quite popular over here. They are less gassy than lager and taste more... bitter)spirits = strong drinks - over 35% methinks. Liquors are less strong than spirits, but still strong (say 20% and over) liquors are usualy spirits mixed with flavouring like fruit juice or somthing. Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
bitter isn't ale, it a type of ale methinks. grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There's an awful lot of methinking going on about these parts.....

Meh

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
yes,spirits = liquor But Liquor does not allways equal spirits.It's all depending of your talking a liquor (I.E. Dom B&B) or if your talking a true spirit (I.E. Rum, gin, scotch)As for BeerBITTER: Red-amber draught beer from England and Wales. Stronger bitters are called Best or Special. STOUT: Dry, black ale made with dark roasted barley and a lot of hops. The most famous stout is, of course, Guinness.BROWN ALE: Sweet, bottled mild ale. The most famous variety is Newcastle Brown Ale (known as "Newky Brown" or "dog"). EXPORT: Better quality ale which was exported abroad. PALE ALE: Bottled English beer based on the brewery's best bitter. INDIA PALE ALE: IPA was originally developed to survive the long sea voyage to the Empire in India. REAL ALE: Traditional top-fermenting beers which continue to mature in the pub cellar. DRAUGHT: on "tap" in pubs, not bottledFor more info go here.https://www.alestreetnews.com/I work at (Massachusetts definitionhere)a "packy" or package store, for everyone else in the World I work at a liquor store.I'm the assistant manager for the beer department. In other words I order beer for the store. smile It's a tough job but someone has to do it. So far we carry 400+ beers from all over the world. ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling."

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

*Spinstar*member
6 posts

Posted:
If your ever going through Kansas City you should stop by McCoys Public House(Anyone). You can have a couple pints on me to see what our fresh brewed tastes like. I loved beer when I started working there and I don't drink anything else now. When a beer spends time in a bottle and especially a can, it can be mishandled, it can get warm and go bad. Breweries with good beer (important clause) are the way to go. And we do have the beer your curious about:Hogpound Brown: Brown AleNewcomb's IPA: Indian Pale AleDry Stout: StoutLanding Light: LagerRed Light Raspberry: Flavored LagerGinger Shandy:Lager (This beer has won Awards)We always have those beers on tap and a seasonal brew such as Oatmeal Stout(A yummy Stout), Cerveza (Mexican Pilsner; like Corona), Kill Kenny Irish Red Ale (Self Explanitory and yes, a guy named Kenny does work there and no, his life is not endangered), California Common (this is a lager brewed at ale temprature; think Anchor Steam.)and Hefa (excuse the spelling)wiezen.Whew...*Cracks knuckels, stretches fingers, snaps out of it* and on and on. Kinda a bite more info than you wanted but they make us know alot about beer. And whats not to love this is such a tasty subject!