Forums > Social Chat > How has spinning changed you over this past year?

Login/Join to Participate

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Well, it's the end of March and my 1 year anniverary of spinning just passed. It really seems like i picked up my first set of poi last month. Learning how to spin has given me a lot more confidence in other areas in my life and other activities that i do. I spent a lot of time disecting moves in poi. Why they weren't working for me, why they were working for me. It gave me a crazy understanding of why things work in poi. Using those same methods have allowed me to learn a bunch of other things like flagging, staffing and underground dance styles like popping and liquid. Poi has open a lot of doors for me. (Yah poi! smile)Looking back when i first came on this board i was a little shit disturber lol. I was checking out some older posts of myself. Remember not too long ago that girl from NYC who said that her wraps were crazy shit? I sorta sound like her... minus the candy raver language and i always have valid points. You newer people HAVE to read this thread. I'm a little cocky bastard. The funny thing about this is how the btb 5-beat is more of a standard move now. (Muah i get the last laugh smile)https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001134.htmlAnyways, this is just me reminising over the past year. What are your thoughts of the past year and how has spinning affected you?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Well its due to spinning that I have most my freinds here. I started spinning just before I moved to sheffield, and where I came from I was one of the only people who did this sorta thing. So its done that for me. I also managed to get 4 or 5 people (All of whom are now better than me grin )in the block where I live spinning, so another good thing. It also means I get away from this computer more! so yeah, its affected me in a good way, though it might have had a bad effect on my pocket as I'm always thinking 'I'd love a set of those' or I could make a nice toy out of those!'poi gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through time of no poi' (or staff, or other twirly dancey things! grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Spinning has gained me respect (and friendship) from some of the most unexpected places/people.And reminising the last few days - poi has given me some of the most painful bruises I've ever had. I'm quite enjoying it though (shh, don't tell anyone).BTW Spiral, I've made those chains I was telling you about. They are really cool. Heavy as f*ck (11oz/300g each), really lethal - deadlier than your chains. I'm not letting the Whiteman kid play with them. He'll kill himself. Y'know what he's like grin - plus they can double up as meteors.

Meh

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
WOW!!...so much...hatred and unpoliteness was here then...im glad i wasnt around that...lol...who is this spanky character?...hesaid, you cant do a 7 beat btb weave?!?!?!...WTF?!!...ive seen a 7 beat btb weave done...what a dumbas..phunky...you were quite the wild one huh?...lol...i saw your point though...peace!!]p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
LOL, that btb 7-beat still eludes me... i can do it the wrap method but i really don't think it's possible to do it non-wrap style unless you dislocate you're shoulder to get the extra revolution in.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

337 posts

Posted:
ohh...c'mon man...even a rookie like me can do the 7 beat btbt weave without dislocating my shoulder...lol...no really...i can...honest...j/k...you already knew that though...well holla at ya later!!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh, deja vu!!!! lol winkR.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
deja vu?about what?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
*gasp* There's a glitch in the Matrix !!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Lol Kinudin!!!Sweet phunky, loved reading over your old post. I would never have been so gutsy as a newbie. I think it is wonderful that you recognise changes in yourself. Just think, one day xtrem may be posting something similar saying "look how I have mellowed!!!"R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ahh, thx smileheh, ya that Xtremravr guy is friggin cocky mofo. Saying he can do that btb-7 beat double flipping weave. I WANT PROOF!------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Since i started spinning, kids stopped throwing stones at me in the street, i lost 85 pounds, i moved to a 4 bedroom duplex in NYC facing Central Park, beautiful women come up to me to offer their bodies. And i won the lottery.Nomad------------------A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.Nwww.anthelion.org

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
My legs/arms/chest/back/head/face have taken on a more bruise-like colour....

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

337 posts

Posted:
HEY!!! i reseemble that...ere...i resent that comment PHUNKY...im not cocky and i can do the tripple back flip 7 beat rev btb weave, while doing cartwheeels down the street...lol....honest....fine dont believe me...p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Poi have changed my life a lot.. and ummm i got more friends got more into trance parties for it and i have LOT of fun now... than before... grinHey phunky where you learn popping a liquid? i mean yer friends or like in a site like homeofpoi or how...? i would like to learn it but i dont know noones that dance that :/

Dance like if noone were watching you

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Xtrem is that blindfolded or not? grinFiremorphster:0)~

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
www.shaddupanddance.com (Vids are down but look closely in the msgboard and get the password and username to Acidfiends FTP with hundreds of dance videos)www.reflective.net (Home of the Liquid pop collective, very cool people probably the best liquid dancers in the world. Buy their video, crazy stuff on it.)There are a bunch of places that have liquid vides too like www.houseofrave.com. Download the ones of Eric aka LPE of the liquid pop collective. They're older vids of him in 99 but still insanely good.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I guess it has changed a lot : I dare to move my body and dance in front of people without being frozen in shame as I was before, I met beautiful people on this board and outside this board too, it gave me part of the kick in the butt to quit everything next october and travel around the world... and many many other things. smileBut apparently i did miss a lot cause I did not get all the stuff Nomad got ...Nomad, sweetie, QUIT SMOKING THE CARPET winkshine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 02 April 2002).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
letsee....since last year....now i hang out with nomad a lot. maybe i need some of that carpet he has. smile(thinks of smoking nomads carpet....eewwww)Pere

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
One year ago I was fat and weighed 650 pounds. I *sniff* couldnt even sit on a swing, without ripping the chains at the sides *sob* I used to go to the park with my 8 children and people used to ask my children what *sniff* breed I was. And then I discovered poi, and it changed my life, I now weigh 180 pounds *audience clapping in backround* and I have the confidence to walk outside wearing less than a flowered moo-moo. Thank you poi, youve changed my lifehehe but in all seriousness I can say that poi has given me confidence in all aspects of life and it has also given me increased flexibility as well as coordinationAs well as a new weapon with which to defend myself (jokes)------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

337 posts

Posted:
FIREMORPHSTER~~~of course its blindfolded...you think its hard that way?...try doing it blindfolded, btb 7 beat weave one handed while twirling staff in the other hand and doing back flips...that is hard!!...lol...no really i hope that none of you are reading this and really thinking i can do "ANY" of this...ive onlu nbeeen spinning for about 2 1/2 ,months so im not good, just me and phunky being goofy..lol...p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Xtrem, you call that good?I can do a double super dee dooper BTB 15 beat weave one in my hands one on my feet dislocating my shoulder and popping it back in three times all while standing on my head twirling four staffs, watching TV, talking on the phone, eating pizza and cooking a gourmet meal for my wife and three kids, with thirteen blindfolds while wearing handcuffs on both my hands and legs, while typing this post on the HoP website. Oh and did I mention I'm fending off three angry tigers and five angry lions, and a rabid pitbull while I'm doing all this???------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah...You aren't sh!t until you can do this move, so quit wasting your breath! winkNow get that on tape!Did anyone else notice someone just got back from his float?------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

337 posts

Posted:
LOL...gimme..ummmmtw days, ill have that one down...lol...ill even throw in a couple backflips...please do not take me serious, i have been joking with Phunky for a couple days and it got kinda outa hand...lol...or alot out of hand..i cant even do the freakin btb weave..so i guesss the cats out of the bag...sorry...didnt mean to disappooint you guys...lolp.l.u.r.r.Xtrem!!!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
lol, i remember that post jo made. I actually thought he was serious for a second. Ahh, the good old ignorant newbie days smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, ive become known for something other than running, and ive actually got a girl, which might not have much to do with twirling, but im really ahppy about it right now, so i had to tell smile, ummmm, ive toned my shoulders from staff, and ive found an excellent stress releiver in all forms of twirling, ive gotten to know all you guys on here, and ive found more common ground with one of my already good friends, and overall, ive found something that im good at, and that above all i beleive has just changed my whole outlook on life, more confidence overall...so yeah, i love it smile

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Since i started spinning, kids constantly ask me to make e for them, i ate 85 pounds of popcorn, i still live in a 1 bedroom in NYC facing a tatoo parlor, beautiful women come up to me and offer their bodies. Well, just one... who makes me feel like I won the lottery.And I met a guy namedNomad

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Hey!!! I think I did that thing Jo suggested once!!!It took awhile to learn, but afterwards I could do it while doing a one handed handstand... smile smile smile------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
that is so nice, thanks sweetie smile::blushes::

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"