Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Heyla all,I am so happy. My parents are finally going to let me light up. Are there any suggestions for the first time? I'm so nervous about this that I'm afraid that i am going to totally screw up on moves that have become reflex for me and I', going to hit myself and maybe seriously injure myself. Is there any way to alleviate that nervousness?Ashia

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Probably nothing you wouldn't figure out for yourself, but since you asked:1. Make sure to attend to all the usual safety considerations. Suitable clothing, towel person, clear performance space, equipment checks, that sort of thing.2. Work within your abilities. You don't sound like you're inclined to go nuts the first time you light up anyhow, so this probably won't be an issue, but I'm mentioning it anyhow. I imagine that everyone who's lit up a few times has had the experience of discovering a new move or transition completely unexpected. This often works, occasionally doesn't, but don't push it.3. Conversely, don't be afraid. Don't freak out. There's a good chance you'll have an entanglement, or at least a bobble, and you need to stay centered and focused, especially if that happens. Freaking out can only make things worse. Be prepared to deal with mistakes.4. Have fun. If you aren't having fun, why bother?

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
This kind of ties into adamrice's point 2:Don't let yourself get over confidant. You get complacent and you make mistakes. You need to find a nice balance.I hope this makes sense.

Meh

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
On my first try, I was doing really well, until I got tangled. The Poi wrapped round my arm. I managed not to burn, but it did frighten me.Try not to be scared of it. Take it real easy at first. But do not fear the fire. Be confident, but not overly. I found closing my eyes was easier, the light seemed a bit disorientating at first - but don't do that unless you can close your eyes and spin when they're not lit.Don't worry about the noise either. It's pretty loud. But learn to love it.Mmmmm...... flame.....

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Oh, not too sure what your hairs like but, if long, tie it back or cover it. Yeah, watch the hair!

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I should elaborate a bit on my earlier post:There's no rule that you need to try every trick you know the first time you light up. If you do, that's fantastic. But if you need to just stand there doing side-circles for a minute while you settle into a rhythm and get used to the sound/heat/light/weight, that's fine. I was toweling for a friend on her first light-up and I think she only did side-circles and the weave--but the smile on her face shined even brighter than her poi.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
Don't over analyze the situation and stay out of your head. If you just go for it, while being as safe as possible, it comes pretty easily.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Wraps = Bad*points to the burnt pants and incenerated shirt*Wraps = Very bad... with kerocine =)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Be safe and enjoy yourself. Be sensible so you can have all the fun that comes with this next step smile smileyou will always remember that first burn - make it for the right reasons! ...and don't forget to have the most amazing time! smile grin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
"you will always remember that first burn - make it for the right reasons!"lol, if only i knew this before i had my first burn. I have a nice scar on my left arm because i thought i was all good and decided to pull out all the tricks on my first burn. Which was only 2/3 weeks after i first started spinning. Should have waited longer.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
What about clothing? Obviously Wrap pants are bad because the poi catches, but what types of material are good? Also, Is having someone with a camera there a bad idea?And what preparations should I make before hand?Also, does it make a difference that I have been practicing and doing this for at least nine months without fire?Ashia[This message has been edited by Ashia BlackHawk (edited 29 March 2002).]

Ash Blackstar

"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Clothing made from natural fibres. As these don't burn so easily. Don't wear anything too baggy as it's easy to get poi (or staff) heads caught or snagged. There's a thread around someplace about what to wear when spinning. I'll see if I can find it and post a link for you.Wait right here, I'll be back in a mo....

Meh

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Dont fear fire, respect it, and dont expect to 'control' it------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I agree.*Good input there Dibs! Wanna tell everyone that again?!! Loser*

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I think this is what Cantus was talking about.And Kinudin, wraps good. Just know what you are doing. My favorite part of spinning fire is doing the wraps, because it gives a greater sense of danger. But I practice a long time with unsoaked wicks before I try it lit, but isn't that just common sense? I have a wrap that I am saving as a surprise for the next video. You'll like it. Congrats Ashia! My suggestion would be to have someone there who has a camera where you can turn off the flash. That way you will always have pictures of your first burn. You will go nuts when you see get a chance to see what *you* look like spinning fire! Good luck, and give us a post once you burn to tell us how it made you feel. There's nothing else like it!------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Fire Wiremember
26 posts

Posted:
Big idea! i have tried and it works. When you do professional or amatuer show/display, wrap silk around you arms and legs. It is a not buring material, and will protect your skin, but dance paint still shows through it as it is very thin material! tongueFire Wire xxxxx''Fire is the all consuming element, let it consume you.''

Fire Wire''Fire is the all consuming element, let it consume you.''

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
What kind of silk? Raw or refined? Isnt silk quite costly? It sounds like a great idea though. Very cleaver!!Peace------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No it wasn't. But that one was even better than the one i was thinking of.....

Meh

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I practiced the wraps for about 2 months before I lit up wit em though...on the brighter side it gave my mom a chance to kick me tongue

super poopermember
4 posts

Posted:
This isnt really on the topic but does relate to the title, FIRST BURN, I had my first burn yesterday went I was spinning. I was doing a butterfly where you go back and forth behind your back (forgot what its called) but anyways i hit my head and thought nothing of it and 20 seconds later my brother yells out YOUR FU**ING HAIR IS ON FIRE! And I usally just go out and do it, not one to worry about safty so I was smothering my self with my hoody, HE HE HE. Just thought it would be kinda funny to hear.remember stop, drop, and role!

Fire Wiremember
26 posts

Posted:
The silk needs to be refined, raw silk just goes up in smoke-- whoooosh and takes you with it. An actually England is the most expensive place to get silk, try europe and/or any mail order places on web as they are waaay cheaper tongueFire Wire xxxxxxxx''Fire is the all consuming element, let it take you over''

Fire Wire''Fire is the all consuming element, let it consume you.''

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My entire Ren costume is Silk Noil (raw silk) and it burns along the same lines as cotton, it takes a several second constant contact with a flame for it to begin to smoulder. However, fine silk (China Silk) will go up in flames. It won't take you with it though, as it is not a sythetic fiber. I work with both extensively in my costuming and in my performing.For China Silk to be fully sheer it must be tight to your flesh, and your designs need to be bold coloured.Here in the US, depending on where the import comes from and depending on the design of the Silk Noil can range from $5/yard up to over $40/yard. China Silk goes even higher in price. In Canada the prices are a bit cheaper though, which is why Toronto is the ideal place for me to buy this stuff grinOther than that, I think camera's are good for posterity but the flash can be distracting. For you very first burn, have a go without the camera just to get the feel. Then while you refuel, get out the camera and have someone go nuts. It is still your first burn night, so you will still be feeling the rush. I agree with everything said (except the silk info) and want to add, if you feel tentative about anything, you can walk away and come back to it later. Never do anything you are not 100% comfortable with.Good luck and enjoy it! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Thank you so much for the advice. I think that I will do fine, whenever I finally get my wicks done. I'm really hoping that I will get to light up next weekend. I am going to an HFS event next weekend, and I know that there will be several other spinners there, So hopefully they, and my parents will let me light up then. Thanks again.
Ashia

Ash Blackstar