Forums > Social Chat > Wicking - wire or no wire?

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I am about to purchase bulk 2inch wicking on behalf of the Sydney crew (now called Phyrotekneiq, incidentally smile ) and found a vast price difference between Renegade's and Dube's product.I have used Dube's wicks before...they are a wire reinforced Aramid/Kevlar fabric and I've found it to be high quality. They have offered me 100ft for US$105.I've not used Renegade's wicking before - theirs has no asbestos or wire but give no indication of fabric used. They were asking US$160 for 100ft. With our crap dollar, this price difference amounts to over AUD$100!Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Can anyone suggest an even more competitive supplier than Dube?flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Chris @ Fireworksmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hi Flash Fire, you may like to know about Pyrotechnique down here in Melbourne. I dont know if you say your groups name the same. Its run by a guy called Felix Chan and he's travelling around the country at the moment so I thought i'd tell you incase it created any confussion. Also those quotes work out to about $200AUS, which is even worse. Try Colan Products in Sydney and they might be able to help you out.C'ya, Chris @ Fireworks.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
dammit...we thought we were so clever. back to the drawing board for a name!Thanks re: wicking.flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
hmm, spanner in the works for our name....Just sounded so clever!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Does any-one know where to get the kevlar wick in the UK? All my local hardware stores etc seem to have no idea what I am talking about, and just give me vague looks and say "errm.....nope" alot. Help! I'm running out of socks to use as wick! smile (then again, summer's coming, so it's bare-feet time! smile )Happy Swinging,Tim /|\

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
timmy, when u eventually run out of socks use the corner of an old towel.ive been using rolled up towel for over 6 months now and i dont think ill ever go back to kevlar wicks again.especially cos kevlar wicks are so hard to get hold of in the UK.towel burns really brightely but only once, saying that, after a really good soak in parrafin ive had them burning for 20+minutes!!!Cained-and-unable.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I actually like towel wicks as well and with proper care I can get mine to last for up to 5 burns, with burns lasting about 10 minutes if I so choose.But when I go for Kevlar, unwired all the way. No drippy metal burns for me!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 20 February 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i'm all about towel wicks myself (and then obviously a little wire to keep it all together. i've been thinking about kevlar, but with cotton towels being so cheap...besides that, even with a really small poi i get the same sorts of results pele mentioned, and i *like* re-wrapping, because it reminds me to take a long hard safety look at my chain, etc. welded link chain is proving pretty elusive, so i appreciate the extra discipline.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hi Timmy, Flash is getting our wick via an online shop somewhere, we're getting bulk as we're all keen to make some new toys for our new group thats juys happening.That may be the best bet for you. When i was up in Byron late last year they were saying there was a shortage in Australia at that time and it may the the case in the UK. . .

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
Timmy, if youre still after kevlar wicks, try:https://www.juggling.org/mall/unit_ki.htmlorhttps://www.eclipse.co.uk/pens/beard/fire.htmlusually get it for £4 metre (narrow)/ £7 metre (wide)good luck!!

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
oops! My posts are visible in the editor, but not in the real list??!!i'll try again,timmy, try https://www.juggling.org/mall/unit_ki.htmlfor
a big list of stuff...!I'vebought from beard b4 too, try https://www.eclipse.co.uk/pens/beard/fire.htmlgood
luck mate!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Timely bump. Apparently having wire support in the wick is good for props like clubs or staff that are prone to wear through dropping , whereas ordinary wick is suitable for poi and other props that don’t tend to get dropped

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Can ne1 advise wot towel is best 2 use? Beach, bathroom or tea towel?

Chimeramember
35 posts

Posted:
Just my two cents. First I would like to repeat... fire eating, metal, not good. I probably shouldn't even be posting since I know very little about poi. However I've used Dube wicks for my juggling torches for years and even practicing with them and dropping them they have held up really well. I'm happy with them.